Orange Peel after panel work.

jamesR

Picked up my car from the panel shop today. Repair work had been completed to the left front and rear 3/4 panels and doors. The damage had been largely superficial, mainly scuffing to the paint and shallow grooving from a 4WD bumper at low speed.

I have noticed that a dimpled orange peel pattern on the resprayed panels is present on direct view and reflection.

Can this be polished out? Is this in any way due to the paint protection applied the day before?

Thanks

Often wet sanding is the way to do it.

Are you saying you apply wax or similiar to the paintwork straight after it dried?? This can cause problems, i believe orange peel is due to gasses not escaping from the paintwork.

IF you had it done recently take it back to garage and get them to do it again.

Geoff

Paint protection was applied 3 weeks previous to the respray, not after. I believe 6 to 8 weeks should be left before re applying the paint protection?

If I do return to panel shop, what is the industry standard I should expect. Can the paint ever be as per factory? The paint is a metallic black pearl, vw GTI style.

And how easy is it to botch wet sanding? I have no intention of doing it myself, but I dont want to open a can of worms if this will also be prone to problems.

And how do I tell if the peel is in the paint or lacquer layer?

Hurricane, if you just had it done at a shop you are best going back there and complaining.

You have a right to good paint job, just b/c they rushed yours or were slack isnt acceptable. They might like to pretend to everyone it doesnt matter but to you it does. I just got my wing resprayed and it comes with 5 yr warrenty.

Do pick things out as soon as possible. From your clarification it sounds like there poor job rather then this "paint protection".

I would not embark upon getting someone to wet sand if you can force the garage to respray. Even easier if its via an insurance job @ approved location.

Nathan, should beable to give you more details, done well its a good thing. But if there are alot of orange peel getting rid of it will thin the clearcoat which means care must be taken washing etc. as you have less to play with to get it perfect again.

I hope that helps.

Geoff