Forge DV for 2.0T FSI....

RedRobin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the moment (I spoke with them today) not even Forge know how much but I'm on the case and will report. It'll go up under Latest News on their web site: HERE

The OEM DV isn't doomed to failure - Any failure appears to be random but more common on remapped cars. So, just a sensible precaution because running around with a damaged DV could in turn damage your turbo.

They can't be pre-ordered yet. Forge have been testing them pretty thoroughly and obviously don't want to market it until they're happy with it.

169144-ok.gif

Hi Scotty,

I don't know about the Audi but it's for any car with the 2.0T FSI. Most reported failures have been on remapped cars but not all, please note. More cases reported across the pond I think but some in other forums too.

IIRC it's the diaphram or thin rubber bit that tears under pressure - I've seen photos.

I don't know what boost. I'm confident that Revo have got their map under control re boost. I'm thinking if fitting a boost pressure gauge just as a health monitor [Yes, I know that most peeps on TSN think they're 'chavvy']. Am I right in thinking that there'll be quite a lot of variation in boost readings among various cars? - That's how it seems as reported across the pond where they are much more into modding their GTI's.

I can probably find out for you from my friendly tuner - If so, I'll post here.

Quote from Forge's guy over the pond:

"Our valve solution is almost finished, and while being a more reliable component, we're seeing slightly improved performance as well.

We have what amounts to essentially a production version, being tested on numerous cars right now.

We've been data logging and testing every possible variable to ensure everything is perfect before we go to production.

Our logs so far are showing a noticeable improvement in actual boost vs. requested boost as compared to a stock DV. Full boost also seems to be achieved sooner and is maintained longer and there is a smoother boost curve overall".

Good news methinks 169144-ok.gif

Another quote from Forge's guy across the pond:

"In an effort of full disclosure, I'll let you all in on a little secret. We've already developed and tried replacing just the internals of the stock valve as a possible solution. In fact, we tried multiple ways of doing so, but none proved viable.

Even if this person [referring to someone else] has managed to create a more reliable replacement diaphragm, which is the main point of failure of the stock valve, there are still issues with the operation of the stock valve that make it less than ideal altogether.

Our solution, which is still in the final testing stages, has already provided some initial benefits like quicker spool, less tapering, and an overall raising of the boost curve, improving boost response throughout the RPM band. This means that the stock valve is not providing an effective seal under all boost and load conditions.

You might argue that I'm touting the virtues of vaporware at this point, but I guarantee you'll be pleased with the final product once we release it".

Sounds promising. It's got a priority 'must-have' on my list.

On a standard car, fewer reports of failures tend to indicate that it's less likely. Probably best to wait for it to fail - It might never fail - and replace it under warranty.

On any remapped 2.0T FSI engine, the stock DV appears to be a weak link - I say this because of the quantity of failures reported. Failure isn't guaranteed but perhaps a Forge, when it becomes available, is a wise precaution - I'm definitely going to get one just for more peace of mind.

One of the guys I was with on track yesterday just had his third stock DV C-revision fail on a Superchips 240 bhp (Stage1) Mk5 GTI. It's not as if a few laps of a track are that much more stressful than fast road use when the conditions allow - IMO. I think it may expose how some remaps might be pushing the boost levels too high, but I'm not an expert. I'm just networking information here.

169144-ok.gif

I know someone else who blew his third Revision C on a 240 bhp Superchips Mk5 GTI. Lots of people are waiting for Forge but they seem to be a company that gets it right before releasing it, so we'll have to be patient.

Watch this space, cos I'm checking Forge every day!

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Forge's new Diverter Valve to replace the OEM on the 2.0T FSI engine is nearly ready for sale. Expected in about 3 weeks. There have been quite a few cases of failure of the OEM and it's the weak link in the tuning chain.

HTH 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this engine in my car.....could you explain what this thing is please?

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Er....I'm not as knowledgable as some others here but I'll have a go!

A diverter valve directs your boost flow in your turbo. It give your boost a place to escape when you are not accelerating or when you are shifting. The valve prevents boost build up and damage to your turbo but at the same time directing all the boost to the engine when it is closed! Stock valves are made with a rubber diaphragm and can fail. The piston is the weak point on stock DV's because boost levels (esp higher boost levels) can tear the thin rubber diaphragm.

HTH 169144-ok.gif

VW in USA has apparently officially announced a recall of sorts on their DV.

They do not have any updated part newer than the "C" revision, however, should you have a failed "B" or "C" valve, they will replace it with another "C" valve free of charge.

Surely that's just standard warranty confused.gif