Forge DV for 2.0T FSI....

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

I would like independant verification that it helps with boost leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

....In my opinion, Forge appear to be a company with a strong ethos - They develop and test their designs for products very thoroughly and only go ahead if their design gives real benefits. They are very reluctant to make potentially false claims (unlike some of their retailers!). They also set themselves a high standard of manufacture.

So, reading through the detailed info I have already posted and obtained from Forge themselves, I believe what they are saying about boost leak. Regards independent evidence, it is very early to get 'in the field' user feedback except from those American 2.0T FSI engine'd boys. Their reports are enthusiastically good but some are best taken with a pinch of salt due to the 'teenage' aspect. Cars in the UK, like most other things, always cost much more frown.gif Courtesy of the fecking gov'nment taxman, and so we don't tend to spend money on modding so readily. Example - 35 times more Mk5 GTI twintercoolers sold outside the UK than inside the UK.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do get what you are saying, and I will end up getting one, I just want to have the car in standard trim for a year or so. That way I can be reasonably sure that it'll be reliable before I start messing with it.

What I was getting at is I don't know for sure that it is boost leak that causes the flat spot at about 6k revs, although I'm almost 100% sure wink.gif, I'd like someone that haves a similar problem, like stooH, replace their DV and see if that makes the difference. I always think too much about stuff.

I probably get a remap and DV, and perhaps a Militec cat' back, near the end of the year.

Personally, I agree with your slower step by step approach - Researching mods and their implications and experiencing what they do one by one. I spent about 18 months doing my mods before I did anything cosmetic with carbonfibre etc. Being new to modding I found much valuable help here on Tyresmoke (and p!ss taking! grin.gif). Others with more experience might go into it quicker but the Mk5 GTI has been a relatively new car.

Here's my 'story' so far: TSN THREAD

Forge DV followed by SAMCO Turbo hoses next - Both just to support reliability/durability with remap present.

[ QUOTE ]

I probably get a remap and DV, and perhaps a Militec cat' back, near the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'd advise getting your Milltek and probably DV, before any remap. Your tuner can then possibly fine tune according to your hardware. Also, a Hi-flow Milltek will help a remap more than a Cat-back.

But beware of the slippery slope! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Any ideas how much one of these will cost to get professionally fitted? I don't fancy attempting it myself!

[/ QUOTE ]

....If you posted that on one of the American sites you'd get called a poofter! But I agree with you - Not everyone is a mechanic (unless they are a rich American teenager quite happy to even change things like intercoolers and turbos in their back yard!)

I've had an estimate of one hour labour to fit the DV - It's a bit fiddly I think and I certainly wouldn't attempt it myself. I really think you must know exactly what you're doing if you're going to fiddle with a modern sophisticated engine like the 2.0T FSI.

I'll post to let you know the fitting cost after it's done 169144-ok.gif.

....Jim 'n Kate in Portsmouth? - Of course! Jim Revo'd my car and is going to put it back to Stage1 after I switched it to stock for my VW service which included ECU update 24K6. There can be issues switching back after this upgrade.

You at JKM too?

I do wish that Forge would have a bit more respect for their UK customers by getting their DV actually available in the UK. I know that the Americans did most of the development testing, but Forge is a UK company FFS! They released at least 250 in the US so why not a few here?

A bit more info from Mike at Forge in America, while we wait for the UK release:

"Our valve kit will mimick stock operation identically without any negative side effects.

Though our setup is essentially hybrid in it's operation, both electrical and mechanical, the electronic solenoid is just controlling whether pressure is acting on the valve to keep it closed or vacuum is acting on it to open it. This is done in exact accordance to the valve operation perameters built into the ECU which we do not change.

The OEM valve on the FSI application is actuated with an electrical signal from the ECU which is sent in response to data collected on boost pressure (read at the MAP sensor in the charge piping) and throttle position.

Any solely mechanical valve is actuated based solely on a pressure differential between the charge piping and the intake manifold.

Whether you prefer one method over the other, or you feel that one is better than the other on this or any other application, VW chose the former for this car and we are forced to work with that. Unless you're a software engineer who wants to rewrite the code in the ECU for valve actuation, you'll have to deal with it.

The OEM electronic setup controls when the valve actuates, for how long, and when it closes.

Our kit was and is the first and only setup to maintain that ECU controlled operation.

Any other mechanical setup does NOT allow the ECU to control when the valve opens, for how long, and when it closes, no matter which way you look at it.

If the ECU detects any change in valve response based on metered pressure in the charge piping during valve actuation that deviates from that which it desires, it can and will throw a soft fault code or a check engine light. Solely mechanical valve setups have been proven to have this effect.

Whether any faults from a mechanical valve setup will prove detrimental mechanically to the motor or not, immediately or over time, I cannot say, but if you want to maintain reliable stock like operation, without a fault code or check engine light, our setup is only option that will allow you to do so."

I spoke in person to Forge at the GTI Inters this weekend - The problem is the supply by outsiders of necessary fixing brackets etc and not the manufacture of the valve itself. Typical British manufacturing problems methinks and not impressive. If Forge had a competitor in this market here they'd most likely lose out.

It's not helped by the fact that the Americans go full-on into modding all their 2.0T FSI engined cars and that's where Forge's main market probably is. I've even considered ordering one from the States but it would inevitably get delayed by UK Customs and cost a lot more due to shipping+duty+VAT.

My name is already written on one of the first batch of ten and I'll know the moment it becomes available. Meanwhile it's frustrating to know that it's out in America and has been for several weeks now. Excellent product though.

Most of those American guys fit their mods themselves rather than pay a professional and I think that could be where the problems start. Of course, I don't know but there are many cars running their new Forge DV very successfully so it doesn't appear to be a design fault. Forge are extremely helpful both in the States and here - If there's a problem I'll simply visit them - They're not far away.

Thanks for the heads-up though 169144-ok.gif.

In speaking with Forge this morning about this reported turbo lag problem in America, they stand behind their product and give a lifetime guarantee. I'm totally confident they'll do all they can. The Forge DV has been thoroughly pre-release tested globally - From Finland to Bahrain and in some very heavily performance modified cars.

Although at the moment no-one knows exactly why or what's causing the reported problems, it may be a combination of mods in those particular cars. For example, wacking in very big intercooler pipework which has an an effect on what is a relatively (but efficient) small turbocharger in the GTI; Or even putting 20" alloys on! I'm not an expert when I write such examples but I'm just trying to illustrate that there are many ways the car can become 'unbalanced'.

Whereas in the UK the Golf range is generally considered 'upmarket' (mostly because of the hiked up prices due to HM's fecking gov'nment!), in the States it's not considered upmarket and there are loads of wealthy youngsters who throw money at serious mods hardly before their car has done 1,000 miles! Some of them don't research their mods fully before fitting them either, plus if you don't fit it yourself you might be called a poofter - No politically correct bollox in the US of A! grin.gif

....Yes, my named is already engraved on one of the first batch of 10. If all goes to plan, Jim of JKM (who did my Revo) will be installing the Forge DV next week. We'll be able to test it in both stock and Stage1 maps. I'm not expecting any problems with the DV in the context of my other performance mods.

169144-ok.gif