Im going on a VW Stunt Driving experience!!!

fizzbitt

OK, the guy i work next to has won the below compitition and it states that he can bring along a guest to share the experience with him.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/volkswagenhotfuzz/competition/0,,-1073,00.html

And guess who he has offered this spare place to!!! jump.gifjump.gif

He has just got an email back off the VW Event organiser woman with a breakdown of the activities! the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Nigel,

Congratulations

Please find below a summary of the driving activities that will take place on 14th April at Millbrook.

High Speed Bowl Circuit: High speed demonstration lap by professionals after you get the chance to drive. Opportunity for you to experience the Golf R32 or GTI performances at top speed!

Alpine Circuit: Handling and dynamics exercise, demonstration by professionals after which you will be able to drive. A test of skill not speed on this demanding, picturesque circuit full of twists turns and cambers.

Mile Apron Circuit: Hazard avoidance exercise, demonstration by professionals after which you will be able to drive. Obstacles will be set up in this area and the ground doused with water to test the ESP and ABS systems on the vehicles.

Steering Pad: You will be passenger of Russell Swift’s car when he will execute various stunt activities.

I have attached you confirmation and directions to the event.

Please ensure you and Mr Sultan (thats me!) remember to take (both parts) of your driving license!

Have a great day!

Any queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Sam Ward

Volkswagen Events

[/ QUOTE ]

Also for those who dont know... Russell is the chap who does the nutty stunt shows with the mini's... ECLIPSe.gifwink.gif

Just got back from the VW stunt driving experience day and man Russ can sure damn well drive. (He is the one who did all the car stunts in Hot Fuzz and all the Top gear **** like teaching grannies to do donuts) ECLIPSe.giflol.gif

The day started off with some breakfast and then onto the fist part of the evet.. the road test! notworthy.gif

There were a selection of 2006 model R32's and GTi Golfs lined up and sadly i ended up with the GTi but alas.. it wasn't as bad as i had anticipated! 169144-ok.gif

We were at the famous Millbrook Proving grounds and sadly no camera's were allowed in the place as they were VERY strict on this. As it turns out, LOADS of manufacturers test their cars here extensively, there were quite a few camo'd cars doing the round on numerous parts of the compound with tape over the badges etc.

Saw what looked like a Nissan SUV but it seemed smaller than a BMW X3.. weird and some new drop top.. who knows what else...

The Alpine circuit is where they used to test rally cars to destruction literally!... and after one sighting lap with the instructor i got a shot at it and man was it fun! The bends.. camber...off camber.. blind crests with a turn.. etc etc.. was awesome! EEK2.GIFsmashfreakB.gifjump.gif

Then some boring hazard tests where i mashed up a couple of cones.. (ooopppss) and then onto the high speed ring which was most boring as we weren't allowed over 100mph!! FFS coffee.gif

Back for a drink etc and then to meet the man himself.. Russ Swift who is one of the best stunt drivers in the world!

He took us out as a passenger and performed numerous tricks including J-Turns between 2 cars... hand brake parking between 2 cars and best of all in my book was when i was a passenger as he went off a ramp onto 2 wheels and slalomed round 2 other cars and turned it round to come back to the start before dropping it on all fours! suicide.gif

As i said.. Excellent day out and best of all it was all FREEEEE! pengy.gif

We were allowed a couple of pics at the end as we were miles from the other testing areas...

DSC00256.jpg

rest of the pics can be found here...

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/fi...%20Stunt%20Day/

indeed it was.

The GTi was quite nimble but then i havn't driven the older GTi's to compare it to but it deffo seemed surefooted for the most part.

Had a couple of lift off oversteer moments but the one thing i hated was the electronic safty devices kicked in too soon for me. There was room for more unassisted braking than the ABS allowed you to have which was a shame.

Milbrooke is a fantastic day out, did the Alpine course and High speed "bowl" in a couple of Phaeton's and the Off Road course in a Touareg a few years back.

The Alpine course with it's blind creast's and off cambers was mental. 155mph (limited) in a Phaeton on the "bowl" is a bit scairy too, all goes a bit blurey at that speed.

Glad you had a great day bud. 169144-ok.gif

aye it is a great place, saw the off road track which is within the bowl but alas didnt get to go on it with the golf.. lol

Ive done 163mph according to a Apexi gizmo in my old MR2 Turbo on the way back from the Nurburgring and to say that things are a bit of a blur is an understatement.

Never again for me... been there and done that.. lol