Golf MKVI - More details in Auto Express

OK - not specifically the GTI but a 2 page article in this weeks Auto Express about the new model tipped to be on sale Autumn 08. Also says that R32 will keep the 3.2 and not get the 3.6 - possible twincharger engine for GTI and updated DSG. Supposed to have bluetooth connectivity & ipod bits as standard plus improved dash design ans plastics

Linky

There are no pics of the interior but some very good images of the exterior. Personally, The back of the car is an improvement but the front a bit bacon-foil-bling-like and not to my personal liking. I guess the GTI will keep the honeycomb grills. Overall, it comes across to me more like a face lift rather than a new model. The existing platform remains although the rear multi link suspension is being simplified.

I've just read the AutoExpress feature in my local WHSmith 'library'. They reckon new Golf in Autumn 2008 which I reckon would mean GTI Mk6 in Autumn 2009 at the earliest.

Personally I reckon the Mk6 GTI will be a TSI turbo+supercharger. I don't think that there'll be as much difference between Mk5 and 6 as there is between Mk4 and 5, but I'm speculating. The Mk5 is a hard act to follow imo.

Snoopy, a 993 Porsche residuals are far better than those of (its replacement) the early 996, because the demand for a 993 is far greater. This is because the 996 wasn't a great car (asthetics have a huge bearing on this) had consequently suffered low demand in the 2nd hand market, which drives dove down residuals.

Honestly, if the MK6 gti is not percieved to be an improvement over the MK5, the same will occur to MK5 residuals, like it or not!

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if the MK6 gti is not percieved to be an improvement over the MK5, the same will occur to MK5 residuals, like it or not!

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'm not saying that VW won't manage to do it, but the Mk5 GTI will be a hard act to follow. Just as the Mk1 and 2 were.