[Audi A3/S3] Anyone had to change their clutch on S3?

carlos3

On my last S3, I had this done, though it wasn't needed at the time, so invariably not specific to your question of knowing when it failed, cause mine didn't.

IIRC, I think my master cylinder was being changed and since they were going by the clutch, I was advised to use that opportunity to change it. 30k miles at the time but was told the clutch was still in good nick but at least I wouldn't have a clutch that was 30k miles gone.

Apparently it's a six hour job, so even though the clutch would normally cost you £120. (thats about what I paid), It's the 6 hour labour charge thats the killer (I didn't pay this as the master cylinder was being done under warranty)

Hello,

My old S3 (currently for sale - see sig) had the clutch changed at about 72k miles. However, it was mis-diagnosed by Hatfield Audi as it was actually the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder that was at fault.

I asked for the old clutch to take away to help me with my complaint to Audi CS and the mechanic actully mentioned that there was a good 20k miles left on the clutch.

I think they are massively uprated and I know a lot of the people on this forum that have gone down the 'chipping' route have not had problems on the standard clutch with 250-260bhp so a standard car should not be wearing them heavily.

However, about 70% of the miles on my car are from riding up the M1 to go and visit family and friends in the North East (I live in London) so likely to last longer anyway.

I guess it's impossible to tell when one is going to go on a car that hasn't had it changed recently!!!

Hope that helps!!!!

JK