Climate Control Problems

jdcampbell

I have a Mk5 Golf GT with a problem with the climate control system When you turn it on it seems to work fine, but after about 10 minutes it seems to close the flaps and very little air flow can be felt. Thus if you turn the temperature up or down at this time the fan seems to respond, but there is no change in the airflow through the vents.

You can even chage it to manual control and turn the fan right up to max, but nothing significant seems to happen. If you turn it off completely for 10 minutes and then turn it on again this cycle repeats itself. Initially it works, but after 10 minutes we are back to square one.

• 4 years later...

Hi

Was relieved to see someone has had exactly the same problem as me, but surprised to see no-one had replied to your post! Perhaps it is a rare fault.

Did you get anywhere with it? I told VW and they want to charge me £114 just to run a diagnostic for one hour which "may or may not find the problem". Helpful then...:confused:

Look forward to hearing back

David

• 3 weeks later...

With Climate you set the temperature and the car does the rest for you, it's intelligent. Air con on it's own is as clever as the owner it will just do what ever setting the driver puts the control no more.

Also on a cold day a car with climate, it won't try and blow cold air through for instance it will only start turning the fan up when the engine starts to get warm.

The chilling air con can still be switched off that is the only bit that isn't automatic.

• 2 months later...

David

I think the fault was eventually traced to being some form of faulty sensor. It failed to work properly and the result was that the system would ice up and become clogged. However by the time the replacement parts had arrived I had decided I was fed up with the car and the dealership and I sold it for what I paid for it and replaced it with a BMW 120d.

The BMW was a much better drive, was as economical, massively more refined and the one I found (which was the same price as I sold my Golf for) had Xenons, Leather, Upgraded Hi-Fi, Cruise, Bluetooth and 2 years left on a full maintenance pack. I kept it for 2 years, did 40,000 miles in it and lost on £2,250 in depreciation over that period.

Have had two BMW 330d since. The first of these was written off by an idiot in a truck and I am now running the second.

The only reason I would get back in a Golf is if I needed a car for a very short period of time. I'd buy privately knowing there would always be a ready market for it and I could shift it on afterwards easily because of that. (The BMW 330d are very slow sellers in the current market).