[Audi A3/S3] S_Line Gone Soft?

Fazzzman

Went for a 2 hour test drive in a 170 bhp TDI A3 Sportback last week. Hadn't realised until I got there that they were providing S-Line rather than a Sport. I was pleasantly surprised that the ride wasn't too hard and I suffered no ill effects!

I’m now seriously considering getting S-Line as I’d upgrade the Sport’s cloth seats to Leather/Alcantara, it doesn’t cost much more to just upgrade the whole car to S-Line and get full leather, all the S-Line touches and bigger wheels thrown in.

My question is - has the S-Line really got softer, or was it always soft, or maybe they softened the test car, or maybe I was just more numb than usual on the day of the test drive? I did see a note in one of the motoring columns that the A4 S-Line has been softened.

Thanks for the info. Sport feels just fine - its the effect that the 18" wheels have that I'm concerned about. Is there any evidence that Audi soften the ride to compensate for lower profile tyres?

Also, do the bigger wheels or lower profile tyres create more road noise?

Anecdotes like edowen's are causing me to think twice - but those 18" wheels are calling to me ...

I dont think they change based on wheels. I would try and drive or get in an S-line with 18's before ordering. If you are in or near guildford or southampton I can take you out of that helps. If not you shouldnt have any trouble finding a dealer with an S-line with 18"s

Are you sure it's the same as sport? I used to think it was but a friend was convinced otherwise. Also, I went from an 06-reg reg Sportback sport to a 56-reg S-line 3 door and the ride is completely different. For a start, it rolls much less so that can't be just down to wheel size...

[ QUOTE ]

confirmed by Alistair of Audi. S-Line is spec/body kit thing. No change to suspension. Bigger alloys as standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to my MY2006 UK brochure. S-line is 10mm lower than ambition(which is what the Germans call the sport).

Response from Audi Customer Service ...

"After speaking with our Technical Support team, I can confirm that the A3 Sportback S-Line model does have a firmer suspension to that of the Sport model. However, with each different engine specification, the suspension will also differ."

Same spring dampers across all models would still give a different ride because weight. All engine variants are different weights, this will compress it more, making it more firm.

The brochures even claim 'quattro suspension' as if its different to a FWD s-line, so what does that make quattro s-line over fwd sline? Crapper over crap to begin with wink.gif