A positive review for the S5...

CarMad

CAR has been quite contrary of late (e.g. Civic Type R being the best hot hatch, little/no support from anywhere else) and I'm afraid they might just be looking to prop the ship up. Also, Georg Kacher is rather fond of VAG products.

Then again they may just be right and the 5 makes a convincing real world case - at least in 3.0TDi form with big wheels and black or red paint. Just occasionally, I think that journalists get too wrapped up in the whole balls out handling balance - If you can afford an S5 you can get a 3.0 TDi and a weekend car.

[ QUOTE ]

I see power is up by 13bhp and 23 ft/ lbs though. Pity, becasue everyone is talking about RS5 in their articles, so waht's the point in an S5 that's no better and more expensive than a 335i?

[/ QUOTE ]

Coz they're different cars and do things in different ways. For some the quattro on it's own would be the decider...both for and against. For others the finish and even just the badge.

It's good for everyone as it increases choice in this sector....even if you do choose to reject it. wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I see power is up by 13bhp and 23 ft/ lbs though. Pity, becasue everyone is talking about RS5 in their articles, so waht's the point in an S5 that's no better and more expensive than a 335i?

[/ QUOTE ]

Coz they're different cars and do things in different ways. For some the quattro on it's own would be the decider...both for and against. For others the finish and even just the badge.

It's good for everyone as it increases choice in this sector....even if you do choose to reject it. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Also its worth pointing out that as far as I know the cars that have been driven already are NOT using the UK suspension settings / components. Yes we have bumpy roads, we also want a better handling / ride balance because of it and NO we don't really need to have a car that is rock steady at 150mph every day of the week.

Because of this Audi last year started to created specific suspension settings for cars that come to the UK market. These have only just been signed off so whatever they drove they haven't driven what we will get yet.

Audi knew people wanted a good handling RS4 we got one, they know that we want future cars to be a significant jump from the old models. I doubt they will mess up so lets wait and see exactly what it is that will be arriving in the UK.

Car magazines always like to give a story that a car is great or rubbish especially on launch models, but its also no unknown for everyone to love a model but say for the likes of EVO to say its terrible.

Go out and test drive one yourself would be my view, what somebody else is happy with might not be what you want from a car anyway. 169144-ok.gif

I will test one myself but Audi have a poor record of getting suspension right without MR, DRC or air.

The motoring press said MR was great, I bought it on my TTR and it is as said. The press said the S6 was dire, I drove one and laughed at how much the empty passenger seat back moved around on only a modestly poor road. I will not be buying one.

From my next big Audi I want the suspension to have moved on from my B6 S4 Avant. It sounds like the S5 has not but I will give it a go.

Well said CarMad. It always amazes me how car magazine reviewers have such strong opinions of newly launched cars, which then seem to be at odds with their view of the cars months later. Ford Asbo being a case in point. When it was launched it was like some mythical winged Golf GTI beater. Now the hacks can't get enough of bashing it, and claim that nothing comes close to the Golf (which also seems to have been dethroned more times than an African dictator).

Personally, I take everything with a pinch of salt. Read as many reviews as I can, as well as information from people who actually have to pay for their own cars, fuel, and (most importantly) tyres -- such as the great people on this site (who helped me choose my A4 Cab). Then, take the car for a drive yourself. Just because a hack thinks the latest 3-Series is way better on the limit than an A4, does not mean that my pootling round in London traffic is going to be significantly enhanced by picking the Beemer. Personally, in a traffic jam, an interior that doesn't look like it's been made from recycled plastic milk bottles is of bigger concern!

Sorry, rant over!

[ QUOTE ]

I will test one myself but Audi have a poor record of getting suspension right without MR, DRC or air.

The motoring press said MR was great, I bought it on my TTR and it is as said. The press said the S6 was dire, I drove one and laughed at how much the empty passenger seat back moved around on only a modestly poor road. I will not be buying one.

From my next big Audi I want the suspension to have moved on from my B6 S4 Avant. It sounds like the S5 has not but I will give it a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say that your need to seek help with your obsession about active suspension. grin.gif It can help but doesn't help if a car doesn't have fundermental handling balance. Yes it can smooth a few bumps and is the latest and greatest new addition to the options list.

But even now a well set up car doesn't NEED all the toys to make it work. Because a car doesn't have them fitted as standard or as an option doesn't mean it will be bad.

As I've mentioned before they often add weight to a car over and above standard suspension that can now also be variable rate, allowing a smooth ride AND firm suspension in the twisties.

How many BMW 3's have active suspension.. answers on a postcard please...... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, in a traffic jam, an interior that doesn't look like it's been made from recycled plastic milk bottles is of bigger concern!

Sorry, rant over!

[/ QUOTE ] 169144-ok.gif

My concern too, the interiors of BMW are Dia, and this is what you see most of the time, they do need "Updating" to make you feel as though your getting your moneys worth.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say that your need to seek help with your obsession about active suspension. grin.gif It can help but doesn't help if a car doesn't have fundermental handling balance. Yes it can smooth a few bumps and is the latest and greatest new addition to the options list.

But even now a well set up car doesn't NEED all the toys to make it work. Because a car doesn't have them fitted as standard or as an option doesn't mean it will be bad.

As I've mentioned before they often add weight to a car over and above standard suspension that can now also be variable rate, allowing a smooth ride AND firm suspension in the twisties.

How many BMW 3's have active suspension.. answers on a postcard please...... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was a way of improving the S6 ride quality, I would have bought one, I did like it until I drove it pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I am talking about Audis' you are talking about BMWs'.