A so-so review on the S5

techieboy

I know, it's AutoExpress and I really shouldn't read it over lunch but here are their impressions.

Verdict: It doesn't offer the stand-out styling of the TT, but Audi's A5 is still a fine car and a welcome alternative to BMW's 3-Series Coupé. It's a great grand tourer that's capable of travelling long distances at speed and in comfort. And in the guise of this top-of-the-range S5, it has brilliant, secure handling and towering performance. The shortage of rear space is a big drawback, though, and this S5 is expensive. With the 3.0-litre diesel costing £33,430, its clear that lesser A5s will be the ones to go for.

Where are you getting the verdict from??

I jsut read that twice and the finishing couple of paragraphs read....

However, the six-speed gearbox is notchy which, combined with a sharp throttle and clutch, can make progress jerky at low speed. The stiff suspension is also very unforgiving, and the S5 is uncomfortable around town.

On smooth tarmac it's much better. Body roll is well controlled and the drivetrain offers total traction at all times. The steering is quick and accurate, too, but lacks feedback. So while the S5 feels very fast and competent, it's ultimately a bit numb.

In our opinion, BMW's 335Ci is still the better all-rounder, particularly when you consider the price. At £39,825, the S5 is £6,030 more than its rival - and that's a lot extra to pay.

Seemed like an alright view??

I think people were hoping it was going to take on the 3er coupe, they should have marketed it against the 6er, that way people would not have expected it to be a sports car and would have accepted it more as a GT, by the sounds of things it plays that role very well.

[ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting the verdict from??

I jsut read that twice and the finishing couple of paragraphs read....

However, the six-speed gearbox is notchy which, combined with a sharp throttle and clutch, can make progress jerky at low speed. The stiff suspension is also very unforgiving, and the S5 is uncomfortable around town.

On smooth tarmac it's much better. Body roll is well controlled and the drivetrain offers total traction at all times. The steering is quick and accurate, too, but lacks feedback. So while the S5 feels very fast and competent, it's ultimately a bit numb.

In our opinion, BMW's 335Ci is still the better all-rounder, particularly when you consider the price. At £39,825, the S5 is £6,030 more than its rival - and that's a lot extra to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

NONO3.GIF Aw Guy every opportunity 169144-ok.gif, It would seem at this time (without a test drive) that your choice has been a good one ECLIPSe.gif and poor old Audi have again fallen in the proverbial dung.gifcoffee.gif

I think the only thing Audi got wrong was bang on about sharpening teh chassis up, moving the engine back and making the car have more RWD bias and more oversteer.

They said the RS4 was the shape of things to come, so everyone was expecting it to happen. They even nicked the designers from BMW, and what did they do?? told them to keep the car feeling the same as it always had, so why bother getting the team in??

I am sure it will sell by the bucket load, in Germany and the States it will do very well, it will eat the autobahns up brilliantly and most americans have never seen a twisty road in their life, they love the quattro for taking the car down 'the strip'.

I really don't see a problem with the rear seating, it is plenty big enough to get a couple of kids in, and most people who buy a coupe really couldn't care less anyway.

It will be interesting to see how well it sells here, personally I would take a 2.0T TT though.

[ QUOTE ]

They have a video of their test drive...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/208346/audi_a5.html

Going to watch it now!

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the A5 S-Line wasn't it?

I dunno why Audi insist on making the cheaper models look like S cars.

I felt the guy in the video made a good point at the end. He said it's not a BMW so you won't feel like one of the crowd. Seems to me Audi are now reflecting this in their pricing.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the only thing Audi got wrong was bang on about sharpening teh chassis up, moving the engine back and making the car have more RWD bias and more oversteer.

They said the RS4 was the shape of things to come, so everyone was expecting it to happen. They even nicked the designers from BMW, and what did they do?? told them to keep the car feeling the same as it always had, so why bother getting the team in??

I am sure it will sell by the bucket load, in Germany and the States it will do very well, it will eat the autobahns up brilliantly and most americans have never seen a twisty road in their life, they love the quattro for taking the car down 'the strip'.

I really don't see a problem with the rear seating, it is plenty big enough to get a couple of kids in, and most people who buy a coupe really couldn't care less anyway.

It will be interesting to see how well it sells here, personally I would take a 2.0T TT though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been mislead by audi, I really thought this time things would change pengy.gif. I am going to look at B3 and IS-F lexus, lets see what they are like. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He said it's not a BMW so you won't feel like one of the crowd. Seems to me Audi are now reflecting this in their pricing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd feel "one of the crowd" in an Audi too. Just a slightly different crowd. One more interested in how they look than how their car drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is? me...? I don't recall putting across my opinion on the matter so I dunno how you drum up that conclusion. confused.gif

The point is, you once paid a premium to drive a BMW, now it seems you pay a premium to drive an Audi.

Audi's marketting and sponsorship deals have the reverse effect on me. I'm less likely to want one the more they whore themselves.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He said it's not a BMW so you won't feel like one of the crowd. Seems to me Audi are now reflecting this in their pricing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd feel "one of the crowd" in an Audi too. Just a slightly different crowd. One more interested in how they look than how their car drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is? me...? I don't recall putting across my opinion on the matter so I dunno how you drum up that conclusion. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused too now. confused.gifgrin.gif

Not sure what you thought I meant, but it isn't what I actually meant... tongue.gif

You were quoting someone who said, "It's not a BMW so you won't feel one of the crowd." In my opinion, that's bollocks.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I might buy a Mondeo so I can stand out from the A4 and 3 series brigade wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was good enough for Bond. The new one is supposed to be a pretty decent drive with the new switchable suspension and the 5 cylinder engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed : http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/048-ford-mondeo/?text

" I just want it to cut into the Big Three German brands and steal some of their biased drivers.

It really does deserve to."

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I might buy a Mondeo so I can stand out from the A4 and 3 series brigade wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was good enough for Bond. The new one is supposed to be a pretty decent drive with the new switchable suspension and the 5 cylinder engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed : http://www.topgear.com/blogs/drives/048-ford-mondeo/?text

" I just want it to cut into the Big Three German brands and steal some of their biased drivers.

It really does deserve to."

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere that this new Mondeo is wider than a 5 series - it must be huge, although it doesn't look it in the pics. We, as in the regular British Public, are too badge orientated to want to buy it in big enough numbers. I think the previous 3 series outsold the outgoing Mondeo, which is just amazing. Whichever political party it was that coined the "Mondeo man" phrase a few years back didn't do Ford any favours.