golf r32 v wrx

nutcracker

[ QUOTE ]

The WRX and STi (newer shape) are both quicker cars point-to-point if driven well. Plain and simple.

The Golf weighs more and has less power - and although Haldex is very good it doesn't have the raw natural grip or feel of the Scooby AWD system. Not saying I rate the Scooby higher - but from a purists perspective it is designed as a performance motor from the off. The Golf is a fast variant of a family hatchback - not designed with pure racing/rallying/motorsport intentions.

Where the R32 feels quicker is the instant shove of torque in lower rev ranges - but without a doubt it's the slower car overall.

I say this from an ownership perspective as opposed to an on-road comparison perspective - it means nothing with different members of the public driving quick-ish cars on general roads. To be fair, neither car is sh1t-quick anyway - all things are relative ices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to see some real world perspective 169144-ok.gif Without a doubt the R32 is a MUCH better all round purchase but if you're looking for that one dimension then the STi definitely has the edge ( confused.gif re the WRX, although it can't be too far away in the real world).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the Mk5 R32 and GTI are fairly close on performance (I'm really NOT wanting to start any debate on that subject!), I've always found that a Scooby has that extra power and traction when I've encountered them and given them due respect. A lot will depend on the driver too imo.

[ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt the R32 is a MUCH better all round purchase

[/ QUOTE ]

Subjective opinion that one (I happen to agree based on having a modified WRX before the R32) - if you want a weapon to destroy B Roads then the Scooby is better.

If you want an all-rounder that has pace, comfort and the stealth factor then the Golf is much better imo - but the fact remains that the Subarus are quicker. If you're out there on the roads and feel like you've "beaten" one - they simply weren't trying or the driver wasn't all that great.

Let's be realistic about where the R32 sits in the performance leagues. There are quicker diesel cars out there. Round a track my Clio is miles quicker FIREdevil.gif

Totally agree with Rich here! The R32 is a quick road car in terms of the total performance you can actually use on the road. I say this because road driving isn't about top speeds as there are too many factors that hinder this - legality and other road users who can be unpredictable.

Speed limits aside, you could, for arguments sake, drive down a country lane at 80mph where vision and conditions were right. Above this speed, it might just be too dangerous and it wouldn't matter if you were in a Ferrari or a Skoda, once at that speed, you'd probably not want to push any harder. That's why I've always looked at torque and in-gear punch as a true "real world" test of performance.

I've only ever driven a STI UK 300 and because of the torque (when on boost), it felt the quicker car. But as I say above, once at 80mph down a country lane, any car would soon catch up.

It's all swings and roundabouts really. My Caterham R300 is ballistic in terms of acceleration, but it would get minced down a bumpy country lane against my R32 as the suspension is too hard and you get bumped and crashed all over the place. On a smooth track though, the R32 wouldn't see the Caterham for dust!

Think I kinda answered the question there tongue.gif

yelrotflmao.gif So im talking bull ox, Or the porker driver was a sperm gargler, or you lot drive like our lass???

I apologise for the out burst above ,But i know what i saw and did on both occasions, also if the two guys on saturday one in a crossfire and the other in new TT traveling West bound M62 between juntion 34 to 28 having a bash! visit TSN It was me that spanked you both doing 150ish.of course in the dead of night when all the normal people are safe and sound.

ECLIPSe.gif

My money would buy an .:R. every time,I traded my old VR6(family car) for my first scooby(no way near a rally car,Same shape)then bought a WRX (Modified,Still not a rally car)Rose tints an all wink.gif

Went on an airfield driver training day, and we set up a test track (fast corners, slaloms, chicane, hairpins etc). 1st place was a tuned up Scooby, pushing 280-odd brake (240-odd at wheels) 3/10's second behind him was a tuned up 200SX, 1/10 second behind him was me in the [standard].:R.

So I'd say a standard scooby should pose no problem at all smile.gif

Some practical experience here... I had a hugely joyful trip around Scotland ina group that included a couple of Mk V R32s.

Generally speaking, I kept up in my Legacy 3.0 Spec B. In terms of outright straightline speed and agility the R32 probably just edges the Legacy (which is, after all, a bigger car). On our trip we also encountered a huge Subaru meet - some Imprezas were covering the ground much quicker than us, many were much slower, and I think it had much more to do with the drivers than the cars.

Now then, I've driven a range of Imprezas, from '97/'98 "classic" to 2003 WRX and STI, both of which are a little slower than their 2006 counterparts. I know an Impreza WRX is quicker off the line than the Legacy and tauter handling, but once you're out on the road at 8 or 9 10ths there'd be little to choose between them.

So... There's no doubt for me that, with comparable drivers, a 2006 STI would be significantly quicker than a Mk V R32. The standard WRX is slightly down on power, but a little lighter - I would say a 2006 2.5 WRX and a Mk V R32 would be very close. Close enough that on the road the only difference would be the driver.

By the way - on which is the better all round car... you have to remember you can get a new 2007 Impreza 2.5 WRX for around £16k from a car supermarket. That's alot cheaper than a new R32. Similar performance, but the R32 cabin is a much nicer place to be.

The STI isn't too far different in price - so it depends on your priorities... more refinement in a still very quick car, or more performance for the few occasions you get to use it. 10 years ago I'd pick the STI, now I'd pick the Golf. grin.gif

By the way(3)... confused.gifwink.gif

Well, I had a bash with a 2006STi in a straight line a few months ago before my cams were fitted, and it was definately pulling away slightly when 'on boost'. After the next bend tho, I caught him off boost and it was the other way around until he was on song again. Wasn't a hell of a lot in it mind, but it did pull away.

[ QUOTE ]

slap.gif Idiot? strong word, its not the speed that matters. Its how one drives at speed.Having an average of 45k+ miles a year work/pleasure, i think i know when to exploit the parameters of my vehicles

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have your average mileage, experience record and perhaps an IAM certificate written down the side of your car? If not perhaps the other driver did the sensible thing by assuming you are an idiot and backed off. Or he maybe he made allowances for the fact you never know how a third party may act/react so better to do such speeds on your own if you must rather than racing a stranger.

[ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif So im talking bull ox, Or the porker driver was a sperm gargler, or you lot drive like our lass???

if the two guys on saturday one in a crossfire and the other in new TT traveling West bound M62 between juntion 34 to 28 having a bash! visit TSN It was me that spanked you both doing 150ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

God you sure sound like one; "spanking" "sperm garglers" "at 150mph". Where do you live as I want to avoid you on the road?

Oh and if you "spank" a black RS4 one day you might find he didn't fancy going to jail for street racing and backed off. coffee.gif

I dont know if this helps this thread or not but my old rx8 would just, and i mean just, edge away from a sti to just a shade over 100mph.

Now i have never tested it but my r32 feels alot faster upto these speeds, but it may just be how the car feels and not actual fact.

[ QUOTE ]

STI 0-100 approx 11-12 sec

R32 0-100 approx 15 sec

man there is just no contest, and yet some people still believe the R32 is the quickest out there...

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's cos it's a Golf and we all know that the GTI is the fastest car in the world! wink.gifgrin.gif

169144-ok.gif

hang on - let me get this straight. An RX-8 beats an Impreza STi.

yelrotflmao.gif

has something changed in the earth's magnetic field this week ? What a nightmare thread - life is such that there are always quicker cars out there. In this case, the R32 is not the quicker car. Not in any sense of the word.

Sure, it's a very good car, and drives beautifully. But it's not really super-quick.

Unless it's Helfinger's tongue.gif