Advice from the Golf gurus!

I understand totally what you mean about the car being a daily run etc. It's what I said about it about 2 1/2 years ago, and now look at me!

As for the scuffs, most cars of 80000 or more will have them (unless it's been owned by an enthusiast from new) and the best you can do is treat the rest of the car really well! Colour coding is not so essential on our colour cars as they're quite dark anyway and I like the way the black rubber seals around the windows etc go with the bump strips. Also, I don't park so well so there's not much point in forking out for new paint every few months!

Oh, my tip for interior cleaning - tesco foaming upholster cleaner! It's about £1.99 or something and it foams up on fabric and plastic. It cleans SO well, I really couldn't believe it - it lifts the dirt right off, amazing stuff! Blue can with yellow lid - it's worth a try. I literally spray it all over the interior and it comes up really well!

As for sounds, as long as it's loud enough for me to sing along to (you'll notice if you're ever driving behind me!) it's fine. I find the VW Gamma a really good standard head unit, but have no idea about 'upping it.' Bear in mind that if you do, you'll be asking for more rattles!

Light green - glad you didn't either!

What am I doing? I don't know. I'm in 2 minds about changing the injectors and re-re-mapping to get 145-150bhp, but then I don't want to fork out for a new clutch etc. So, I might save up and get a 150TDI and remap that to 180-200bhp and keep my current Bolf as a bit of a hobby car. Or cannibalise it and make a bit of money back. I don't really know though!

Keep us updated though, I hope you car is as reliable as mine has been! (having said that, paid 330 today for a new power steering rack - but that's a very rare problem!)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the tip fella, I'll see if I can snag myself a tin of that cleaning stuff. I can get into washing the outside of the car, but spending ages detailing the inside will bore me silly, so I might just pay someone to come out & give it a full valet.

Lol more power, eh? I'll not be worrying about that I don't think. Even though mine's only a standard 90 I still get the grins booting it. The power is more than enough for me till I get a few years driving under my belt. 200 bhp just sounds absolutely mental!

Is that a set of RBBR rear clusters on yours? I've been thinking about a set of RCCRs for mine (to match the clear side repeaters)... I've seen a howto on fitting them, but it didn't mention bulbs... Did you have to uprate or do anything with the bulbs when you did yours, or can you just clip the standard bulb carriers in as is?

When (if) the zorst goes I might look at a Milltek or similar... more for the look than anything else... but that's a way off yet I think.

If you're looking for more grunt, why not look for a more powerful engine out of a rear-end shunted one & drop it in? The rest of the car is so tidy (and Bora'd) it seems like a shame (and a lot of work) to have to do it all again on another car. You could swap the engine, sell yours, and use the cash for a clutch and more upgrades. Just a thought.

I can't swap engines, our 90bhp engines are non-pd and all the powerful ones use pd technology - to convert my car for that would cost a new car. It's not much of an effort to swap a front end for a bora anyway, about 4hours now I know what I'm doing!

And as for an exhaust on a TDI, I've been told it does bugger all apart from make the car sound like a tractor!

Didn't realise the non-PD to PD conversion was such an undertaking... seems it boils down to how badly you want the extra HP!

The exhaust thing was just a thought... Like i said, a looks thing really. I just like the look of a pair of polished 3" tailpipes sticking straight out the back smile.gif

Definitely don't want it sounding like a tractor though so perhaps I'll bin that idea...

What's the word on bulbs when swapping the rear lights for RCCRs... Oh, and what's the deal with needing extra reflectors, do you know?

Oh yeah, forgot about that. No, it's a straight swap & no need to buy anything else, there's a T-shaped holder for all the bulbs you just take out, remove the rear clusters, and put the new ones in. Bit of a fiddle though (If I remember correctly!) and make sure you don't drop the screws! Mine are the standard GTI ones - RBBR. I like them a lot more than any others I've seen as the dark goes with the car colour. Whatever you don don't go the 'Lexus' route - people will be laughing at you till the end of time itself because they look awful!

yeah... lol... I'm sure you know more than me about all this stuff. I like to try & help if I can tho.

So far the door lock module is the only thing I've found on my car needing attention. Think it just needs a good clean though cos manually wobbling the levers about I can get all the lights & buzzers to work.