which diesel?

the1andonly

I've just written off my A4 Avant 1.9tdi (98, 110) and need to find a new motor soon.I've also got a A6 avant (2.6V6 petrol 95) used for towing and getting she who must be obeyed to work. The a4 is used for getting to work (a tank approx 650 miles per fortnight and draging mountain bike around.) both have 100k on clock.

A dilema what to buy : the main family car that i drive daily and just let the white whale gentley drift for the next 10 years (had it for 6) or replace that as well eventualy with somat more ecconomical?

for me a A6 avant 2.5 Tdi quattro yes please but given the white whale has done a good job, what are your thoughts on

2wheel drive 1.9 Tdi (110 and 140 versions) or even the 2.5tdi. or even same again another A4 (like the mpg but not enough space.)

tia

The V6 2.5 TDi makes a great sound! That would be my choice - in Quattro with Tip.

I to, am looking to replace my A6 V6 quattro ('96) with a newer Avant Quattro tip.

Choice will be the V6 petrol or V6 TDi. The 4 cylinder jobs make too much noise. Although in the Bora I have it makes a decent commute car - just noisey engine.

still don't what to do pragmatism may rule. ie what can i find yet alone afford. on a strange note , emptyied the a4 of personal sh1t 'safternoon, almost as bad as taking my Norton off the rowd. (must be of an age to know what a Norton is (not magic box related).I spend ages looking and stick with it, (27th anni coming up!) (ps shortest infatuation was a BMW/7 and pegot 306)

this write off really pissed me off, a little corner shunt (wheel hanging off) includes all lhs suspension and drive components. sorrymust go and fill my glass

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry a bit late on this one, Have you been to test drive any of the A6's yet?

I just sold my 03 A6 2.5 V6 TDI SE 6spd multitronic had it for 2 years did about 43k in it. Great car, stacks of space, nice size boot, even with my driving it averaged 35mpg. was great on long distance.

The only thing i never really liked about it was the multitronic box (especially after the £1300 for a repair 6 plate to a 7 plate clutch) other then that it was a great car with plenty of extra's

Get a TT 'for you darling' - the wife, and an A6 1.9Tdi 130pd avant manual for you.

You drive the TT but it is her car and she uses the A6 until you need it for your bike etc....

The 130pd is a great engine, twice as good as the 2.5 which in comparison is a very poor bigger brother.