BP Ultimate

GCab

It may seem naive, but after running a tankful of this stuff, it really does seem to make a difference. It's claimed to decrease rattle by 15% and I have no way of measuring that quantitatively, but the subjective effect on my 2.5 V6 TDI is huge: it's enough to drop it from an unpleasant rattle at start-up to a sound that's (obviously) still there, but a much more mellow growl, without those stuttering high notes that produce most of the 'tractor' effect. And this is all while stationary - on the move it's positively creamy. It's not just sound, but feel - there always used to be a tiny amount of vibration in the gearstick while stationary, which is now gone.

This is in a convertible, too, so I am in a position to have a good idea about sound ... (yes I have had the top down recently - those cold crisp blue mornings :-) ). Friends and colleagues notice the car is much quieter.

I don't work for BP, by the way, and was curious but sceptical when buying it. I suppose, theoretically, it's easier to believe in an improved diesel than some super duper magic formula for petrol - the latter has been played around with for a while, but diesel has taken off so recently and been mainly a commercial fuel for so long (truckers aren't going to pay an arm and a leg for smoothness) that I can find it easy to believe that there are substantial improvements to be made.

Anyway I love it... the car is transformed notworthy.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me know what you think - it takes a good half tank or so of consumption before you notice a sure difference (mind you, I filled a tank with Ultimate while it was still a quarter full of other stuff)

Feel free to say if you think I'm imagining it - what I meant to do one day is get my wife to fill the tank for me unseen, and see if I can guess if its Ultimate ... tongue.gif

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! I picked my parents up from heathrow last night, but used the old mans car, and noticed as i drove back home, the BP garage on the way out of guildford (going south, towards portsmouth etc) sells ultimate....

Tried going to my nearest BP garage and asking about it....and the guy just looked at me like a nutta....don't think he realised they sold normal diesel, feckin moron tongue.gif

Walker: Audi/VW recommend one particular (mainstream) oil, which my mind has gone blank on. Got some in the boot: I'll look at it and let you know.

danksy: every BP garage in London seems to have the stuff: I read that they're rolling out to all areas around the new Year.

Perhaps by then everyone will have tried it and told me I'm talking rubbish anyway laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Walker: Audi/VW recommend one particular (mainstream) oil, which my mind has gone blank on. Got some in the boot: I'll look at it and let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks GanS, I had the car serviced at 21000 miles, I have done around three thousand more now and the level is quite low, when I had the service they said they changed the oil (not longlife though) and all of those miles have been put on driving to Spain on the motorway, seems to me that it shouldn't be that low (but what do I know).

I cant bloody remember the specification! I think the spec is slightly different as it is the 150bhp beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Petrol or Diesel (you tit (@@) FIREdevil.gif)

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair comment Nick..............

I only intend going down the petrol route only the once - too costly by far wink.gif

While I was at the BP place this morning I ASSUMED that I filled up with the Ultimate diesel, however reading their leaflet that I picked up this morning, I'm not too sure confused.gif

its says:

''BP is the first company in the UK to offer you the choice between standard and advanced fuels in borh diesel and unleaded''

I assumed all their diesel was 'Ultimate', after all the pumps were just labeled 'diesel'

Have to check tomorrow morning. smashfreakB.gif

Ah. The Ultimate diesel pumps have blue nozzles and are distinctly labelled. Only some of the diesel pumps in any one station will have Ultimate; others are normal (otherwise they'd have a lot of pissed off lorry drivers wondering why their bills have just shot up). It is a bit confusing, because they don't sell them side by side (like 95 and 97 RON petrol) so you can choose which nozzle to pick up: instead (I assume for space reasons) they're on different pumps, so one pump will have Unleaded/Ultimate Petrol/Diesel, and another might have Unleaded/Ultimate Petrol/Ultimate Diesel. You have to look for the shields over the pumps.

I suspect you have the normal stuff in your tank...

Walker: Castrol Longlife II - it's marked 'special edition for VW/Audi' (this is a bottle I bought off the shelf at a BP garage, not one I got from Audi). It's the same as the one supplied with the car. There is some further text specifying which edition of oil (!) it is, and not to use it if your manual doesn't recommend it, or some such. But mine's a TDI like yours.

Actually Longlife II SLX, I think. No idea how these things are subcategorised.

Are there any downsides to Longlife ?

Just found this on baileycar.com via Google:

---------

Oil - it’s not the sexiest subject but one manufacturer has just come up with a new

product that could interest many more drivers.

Castrol has just launched SLX Longlife II. It might sound like a brand of designer beer but this oil has the ability to keep some engines operating for up to a staggering 30,000 miles ( 50,000 Km ) between changes.

Audi Variable Service concept (AVS) first appeared in the European A2 - a car designed without a hood for minimal mechanical interference by the owner.

The low maintenance idea has been extended to other cars in the Audi range since, and Longlife gives these cars the potential to cover up to 19,000 miles ( 30,000 Km ) between services.

Audi’s V6 TDI diesels can cover as many as 22,000 miles ( 36,000 Km )before draining the sump and four-cylinder TDI diesels might, in the right circumstances, avoid mechanics for up to 30,000 miles.

Audi spokesman David Goosey said "This oil has been developed to maintain its viscosity characteristics,

and so deliver the key benefits of fuel efficiency and wear protection, throughout far longer oil drain intervals."

Hmm, I'll check again to make sure I'm not misleading you. I'm pretty sure the nozzles, at least, were distinctive, not the usual black. The little shield on them definitely says 'Ultimate Diesel'. I'll check again to see what the pump looks like - haven't been back since, what with the high diesel mpg and all :-)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'll check again to see what the pump looks like - haven't been back since, what with the high diesel mpg and all :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

jump.gifIt is good having a diesel, never thought I would say thay!

[/ QUOTE ]

I fill up once a week in my tractor. Have borrowed my mothers MGF a couple of times for work, and i seem to need to fill up twice in the same period, driving the same way.....

[ QUOTE ]

How annoying, took a detour on the way to work today, to go to the nearest ultimate diesel outlet, and the only blue pump i could find was LPG. All the others were just labelled diesel mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I went back to my BP outlet and all I could see was ordinary diesel pumps, no ones with different colours???

Maybe the feckers are advertising it, but not selling it yet !!!!

Stoooooopid BP. smashfreakB.gif