Broken rib or strained muscle?

Wallachie

I fell off the jet ski at high speed on Easter Monday, which will be two weeks ago this coming Monday.

I have pain like I've never felt before, it has got worse since the accident but I've put it down to strained muscles or something. The pain is slightly below and left of my right nipple, every time I move, sit up, reach for something, take a deep breath, sneeze or cough it is really really sore. I'm taking 400mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day for the last 3 days, but today they haven't even eased the pain at all.

Does this sound like muscles or tissue damage, or could it be a broken rib?

When I fell off the jet-ski, my right hand side/rib cage was the first thing to hit the water. Didn't really hurt that bad at the time but I instantly felt pain and was almost winded, the pain has gradually got worse.... frown.gif

Help me!! grin.gif

You most likely got a fractured rib.

My brother in law had the same problem when he got elbowed in the face while playing footy.

Didn't know what he had until he got it scanned.

If it is a muscle strain, try put some heat rub on it.

Get it xrayed and see what they say.

Get it xrayed.

It doesn't really matter, as the treatment is very likely to be the same (unless you've done lots of damage). As long as you aren't experiencing breathlessness (beyond the pain caused by the injury), keep taking the painkillers and try to avoid too much hard physical activity that could damage it further.

Of course, if you're worried, you should go and see someone rather than listen to advice on the internet 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You most likely got a fractured rib.

My brother in law had the same problem when he got elbowed in the face while playing footy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got a fractured rib from being elbowed in the face? confused.gif

As James said, it doesn't matter treatment-wise.

In terms of getting it xrayed, no-one does chest xrays just looking a broken rib [anymore - or at least they shouldn't!] unless there is concern about a pneumothorax etc as well.

As it has been a fair while since the accident, unless he is getting worse [eg increasingly short of breath] a visit to the GP might be more appropriate?

guess it must be similar to water ski crashes - you need to roll as you fall and try to go in with a shoulder first rolling onto your back. Then you hopefully bounce over the water rather than impacting into it.

Check this one out - the skier starts the roll in this nasty crash... but listen to the sound of that engine...

Cheers for the advice folks, I'm not overl concerned or anything, I will keep taking the painkillers for the next week or so and hope for some improvement.

I'm just irritated, I can't do any physical exercise because of it and I'm dying to get back out in the water again.....I fear it may be a month at least before I'll be able for it.... frown.gif

I was probably doing upwards of 30mph when I came off, I got hit hard by a wave that I didn't see coming, which threw me off so quick I didn't have time to manipulate the fall. grin.gif All part of the fun though....it'll teach me to keep an eye out for big waves!! It was sooooo choppy that day it was difficult to see every wave coming.

[ QUOTE ]

I fell off the jet ski at high speed on Easter Monday, which will be two weeks ago this coming Monday.

I have pain like I've never felt before, it has got worse since the accident but I've put it down to strained muscles or something. The pain is slightly below and left of my right nipple, every time I move, sit up, reach for something, take a deep breath, sneeze or cough it is really really sore. I'm taking 400mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day for the last 3 days, but today they haven't even eased the pain at all.

Does this sound like muscles or tissue damage, or could it be a broken rib?

When I fell off the jet-ski, my right hand side/rib cage was the first thing to hit the water. Didn't really hurt that bad at the time but I instantly felt pain and was almost winded, the pain has gradually got worse.... frown.gif

Help me!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have come off my jetski at speed a few times and had brusing around my ribs but only lasted a week or so as the buoyancy aid seemed to take a lot of the impact.

I cracked 2 ribs last year on my left side which were agony for about 6 weeks, then sods law broke 2 and cracked 2 on my right side in a bike accident which was the worst pain i have ever experienced and lasted about 3 months.

You have my sympathy on the pain side but best to get it checked out.

Jon.