Eddie Jordan's comments...

sexellent

First, review the following carefully, taken from the BBC website:

"Lewis is fortunate to have a well-grounded team with a structure he probably wouldn't have got anywhere else," said Jordan.

"But if he needed to do what Schumacher did to Villeneuve or Hill, would he do that?

"You need to do that to win. Winning is in the mind, and you have to do it at all costs.

"Anyone who tells you different is either lying or hasn't achieved what they're capable of.

"There has to be a steely aspect that we haven't seen, otherwise Hamilton will be swamped.

"He needs to have that arrogance otherwise he will not succeed. Does Alex Ferguson have it? Yes. Does Jose Mourinho? Yes.

"Winners generally are not nice people. They try to be, but they are immensely selfish, immensely arrogant and have a total belief in their own ability.

"Nothing else matters to them when they are at work."

... Oy, is it me, am I wrong to thank Eddie for encouraging the next batch of motor sport superstars to be utter pricks?

Last time I checked, a real winner doesn't need to smash into his opponents to get victory. That's actually how to be a ... cheat is it? Yes.

I think he went too far with his comments. He had somewhat of a good point, but crossed the line. Kind of like when you're hungry and one of your friends says, "Hey, let's go grab a bite to eat!" And you're like, "Yes, fantastic!" But then they take you to Long John Silvers and you get a terrible case of the runs afterwards.

Does anyone else think Eddie went off the deep end here? If Lewis shows class, ethics, and proper sportsmanship, and therefore doesn't intentionally smash Alonso, is he not a real "winner," even if he wins races?

Yep, it would seem that there is a fair contingent of the population that actually admires arseholes... and Eddie Jordan has announced his membership to it.

The fact that Lewis is leading the championship after completing 4 races without incident or showing a single example of behaving like the kind of turd Eddie seems to want him to be, has obviously escaped him.

There have been numerous succesfull 'nice blokes'. How about Fernando Alonso?..... wait, who did he twice beat to the world championship?... oh yes, it was Michael Schumacher - The biggest arsehole of them all.

Steady on, Alonso's only a "nice bloke" relative to Schumacher, not in his own right - he's been quite capable of throwing some massive strops in the past couple of seasons. He was also quite prepared to try and run Massa off at the first corner in Spain. There have been "nice" champions (Damon Hill springs to mind), though I'm struggling to think of many others - maybe Mansell, Hakkinen? But as far as I'm concerned just about all the others (I'm thinking Prost, Senna, Piquet, Jacques feckin Villeneuve, Alonso and Schumacher) all had some degree of gittishness and aggression about them.

In fact I don't think it's any coincidence that in the years that "nice" drivers have won, they've done so in what was comfortably the best car that year. What distinguishes the likes of Schumacher, Alonso, Prost and Senna is that they won championships in which they were in merely competitive machinery - in other words they had the self belief, arrogance or whatever to know that they could make the difference when the car couldn't.

I think Jordan's maybe overstated the point, but the sentiment's true enough; you don't have to be a git to win at this, but it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since he left Jordan i have realised what a mistake i made liking him. His comments on 5lives debate on schumahcer were ridiculous. He told one of the other panalists that he was only disagreeing because he had lost his F1 magazine column to EJ. He needs to keep his mouth shut cause everything he spouts is b*llocks so far