Golf GTI - A ladies car?

ysabelle

Now it could be just the area I live in but..... 8/10 GTI drivers seem to be female. I have been noticing this for some time and it seems to be on the up. In my case I let the wife use it for work, is this the same for everyone else? By contrast I see fewer women driving ST's and Type R's.

Just my thought for the day. coffee.gif

When the original 16V Mk2 Golf GTI came out, it was massive with the Chelsea brigade, the mums that now drive Chelsea tractors. IIRC, VWs advertising campaign at the time used a woman as well.

Not really surprised you don't see many laydeeez driving the ST or the Type R - they both seem to be targetted differently.

Smart work on the part of VW I reckon - classless car 169144-ok.gif

We do live in a decent part of south cheshire tongue.gif..... so maybe you are right with the good taste thing. Its reassuring that its not stereotyping around other parts of the UK. Pre 07 CTR drivers all seem to be young lads, as are the scooby brigade. Just my observations! smile.gif

Civic Type R's and Subaru Imprezzas always seem to be driven by baseball cap wearing spotty youths to me. Seriously considered the CTR but the image of the old model put me off a bit. Scooby's are always driven by agressive $%*&^%£$ in my experience.

I wouldn't say the GTI swings either way in the male/female splits. It's hardly a Streetka or a Micra C+C grin.gif

Personally, I've probably seen something like a 75/25 split in favour of the chaps but I would imagine that it depends on a whole host of circumstances.

As an example, the ST has been mentioned as a pretty blokey car (which it probably is) but out of the half dozen in the office car park, at least 2 of them are women drivers (with one as yet unknown). Simple reason - company car list is Ford or GM family only and the choice if you want something nippy is fairly limited.

I just wish the buggers wouldn't keep choosing Grey ones like mine (probably the only self funded one) SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say the GTI swings either way in the male/female splits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's why I reckon it's both classless and sexless, if a car can be that!

[ QUOTE ]

I just wish the buggers wouldn't keep choosing Grey ones like mine

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one of the "right" colours for the GTI. Just doesn't work for the Mk5 R32, imo, but looks the muts on the GTI 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It's one of the "right" colours for the GTI. Just doesn't work for the Mk5 R32, imo, but looks the muts on the GTI 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

'Tis indeed and was my preference, along with black, when I was looking at GTI/R32. However, I think it's just a right colour full stop at the moment, rather like white but without the slight nervousness (around depreciation etc).

Generally the right colours work on most cars. To my mind, the same sorts of colours work on the Golf as would work on my ST (even white, as long as the temptation to resist stripes is firmly ignored NONO3.GIF).

Grey is an awesome colour IMO. The Mini's arguably look best in the their 'Dark silver' Grey, as does the M3. Then think about an Aston Martin / Porche / Ferrari type car in Grey and they all look really great. Classy and understated like Black, but without the cleaning overhead!

....Cheers, Mook beerchug.gif

I don't mind growing old, just as long as I don't have to grow up.

I don't know about you guys, but I find it quite 'sexy' seeing a lady in command of a performance car. Ladies riding horses well have the same effect. Even if 90% of Mk5 GTI's were driven by ladies it wouldn't stop me enjoying it.