MKV super /turbo charged?

Vagabond

Very limited in your choices for FI as the Yanks haven't got the MKV yet and they seem to influence the market more than us. I believe HGP (HPA in the States/Canada) have a turbo setup but not sure if its available yet. Having spoken with QSTuning last night about something else, its possible MTM have a turbo or supercharger kit in the pipeline but this will be expensive.

Think biggest problem with these kits is long term reliability if its a daily driver. Even the most sorted conversion seems to suffer at least one drawback (just read a post on Vortex about a VF supercharged R and its the little things which raise concerns like not being able to fit the OE splash guard/skid plate with the intercooled kits) plus the inherent design flaw which is that our engine was never designed to run superchargers and turbos so you have heat issues and MAF incompatibility, software nightmares and general all round pains if you live far enough away from the tuner doing the work.

In all honesty, you're probably better off saving the £10K and putting it towards an RS4 or better still, if you want to leave everything behind, buy a modern 1000cc sports bike for £9K + £1K worth of riding kit. The only thing leaving you at the lights then will be a Veyron.

And to answer the original question, 350bhp (£7-10K ?) is relatively easy to extract, but 500 (£12-18K ?) is also avavilable and if your pockets are deep enough, 750bhp (£20-30k?) has been done on a MKIV

Cheers Dan. I knew it would be expensive but i never realised the reliability would suffer,so i guess that rules out throwing £thousands at the R! There's a garage up the road from me selling a Vauxhall 220 turbo, with 200 miles on the clock. I'm going to check it out Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Very limited in your choices for FI as the Yanks haven't got the MKV yet and they seem to influence the market more than us. I believe HGP (HPA in the States/Canada) have a turbo setup but not sure if its available yet. Having spoken with QSTuning last night about something else, its possible MTM have a turbo or supercharger kit in the pipeline but this will be expensive.

Think biggest problem with these kits is long term reliability if its a daily driver. Even the most sorted conversion seems to suffer at least one drawback (just read a post on Vortex about a VF supercharged R and its the little things which raise concerns like not being able to fit the OE splash guard/skid plate with the intercooled kits) plus the inherent design flaw which is that our engine was never designed to run superchargers and turbos so you have heat issues and MAF incompatibility, software nightmares and general all round pains if you live far enough away from the tuner doing the work.

In all honesty, you're probably better off saving the £10K and putting it towards an RS4 or better still, if you want to leave everything behind, buy a modern 1000cc sports bike for £9K + £1K worth of riding kit. The only thing leaving you at the lights then will be a Veyron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sod it, im just gonna buy the Veyron !!! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers Dan. I knew it would be expensive but i never realised the reliability would suffer,so i guess that rules out throwing £thousands at the R! There's a garage up the road from me selling a Vauxhall 220 turbo, with 200 miles on the clock. I'm going to check it out Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that "Lotus sekret.gif" garage you sent me to on Monday had a blue one sitting on its forecourt. Worth a try?

[ QUOTE ]

I had a scrap with a revo'd leon cupra R last night and a chav in Rover. Top end my car was'nt making much progress,well,not as much as i'd like.

So, any opinions where and how much to gain serious power from the R....?

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking straight line or twisties? Makes a big difference mate.

Here's my top three performance upgrade tips:

1. Handling

2. Handling

3. Handling

Don't become blinded by the power trip thing, there's far more to it than that! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that "Lotus sekret.gif" garage you sent me to on Monday had a blue one sitting on its forecourt. Worth a try?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL thats the same garage.I'm just back from there beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, then there's the ability of the driver to take into consideration too....in the majority of cases, far more important than the number of horses under the bonnet! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True. We were on a long dual carriageway.Everytime the leon accelerated, i had to drop a gear just to keep up with him. I know the leons are quick as i've had 3.

Top-end is where i find the R breathless. On the twisty country roads it's still a WMD openfire.gif

APS 300? sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

True. We were on a long dual carriageway.Everytime the leon accelerated, i had to drop a gear just to keep up with him. I know the leons are quick as i've had 3.

Top-end is where i find the R breathless. On the twisty country roads it's still a WMD openfire.gif

APS 300? sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All makes sense to be fair mate....

Got to be a weight issue there somewhere. Ditch all the gadgets, cow hide and unecessary electric bits and I reckon you'll be good for sub 5 seconds to 60! grin.gif

Lovely engine is that 3.2 V6, sounds awesome....tad heavy though, especially considering where its placed methinks! wink.gif

The only way to go would be the APS 300 kit which is around £2000, but I think youve also got to do the KW suspension and rollbars upgrade, which is a further £1500 or so, and then while your at it stick a set of BBS CH 19's on it, adding another £1500 or so to your bill. Then youll have a car that on the straights or twisty's a lot of cars would struggle to keep up with, especially with all that torque on tap......or switch to a 335D, remap and most things will be a distant memory in your rear view mirror grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had a scrap with a revo'd leon cupra R last night and a chav in Rover. Top end my car was'nt making much progress,well,not as much as i'd like.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please Fastlad dont become one of the "My cars faster than your car" victim gang !!. You got a lovely mota, it doesnt matter if its faster than your mates, honestly it doesnt. Just enjoy it. If stuck at the lights with a chav, rev like feck, look the chav in the eye, laugh like feck as he nearly destroys his engine block just to brag to his even more stupid mates that his chav chariot (with added dustbin) beat an .:R32 yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Please Fastlad dont become one of the "My cars faster than your car" victim gang !!. You got a lovely mota, it doesnt matter if its faster than your mates, honestly it doesnt. Just enjoy it. If stuck at the lights with a chav, rev like feck, look the chav in the eye, laugh like feck as he nearly destroys his engine block just to brag to his even more stupid mates that his chav chariot (with added dustbin) beat an .:R32 yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not there are people out there who would say that those are the words of someone with an automotive inferiority complex....but not me! the_finger.gif

My guess is that you're openly homophobic in public but get an embarrassing little tingle inside your trousers everytime you watch the nude wrestling scene in Women in Love! yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tspar, I wholheartedly agree with you. Simply enjoying what you've got is paramount.

That being said, once you've sorted the driving (track days / high-performance driving schools), the suspension (Bilstein / KW / H&R - coilovers and bars, added a GenII HPP controller, pads/lines/fluid or a BBK) then you end up with an extremely effective chassis that's just begging for more power.

That's where cams/exhaust/remap bring a big plus, by letting you rev longer along with extra grunt. It's a great combo that stays stealthy and simple.

But if you reeeeeaaally want a VW (or Audi A3) hatchback with Porsche performance, then an HGP / HPA turbo is surely the way to go. These kits are as reliable as a turbo kit can get, are very easy to drive slowly in traffic, and deliver staggering power.

The MkV can choose between FT400 and FT450, and while the 400hp level is already very high I'm personally going with the FT450.

On the MkV R32 forum in www.vwvortex.com , there is a fully documented FT450 install in a Taiwanese DSG R32. Mine should be installing in July, and Bogdan in Romania should be installing his FT400 in June.

Really though, this is a bit extreme, and a sorted cams/cats/exhaust/remap could be just as enjoyable and a LOT less complicated.

Cheers!

I think you ll find that although very fast, it just doesnt have the driving experience of the MKV R32 - I wish the R32 was as fast as an S3 - but you cant have it all.....mind you the R8 seems to have it all and more - watchout Porsche

[ QUOTE ]

I think you ll find that although very fast, it just doesnt have the driving experience of the MKV R32

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont know where you get that idea?

S3 is just so much more "chuckable" than an R32,just point and shoot FIREdevil.gif

After racking up 9K in an S3 I find it just gets better and quicker to drive,exhaust note sounds a dam site better as well, having owned 2 Mk4 R32 & a Mk5 R32,I think I have a reasonable grasp of the pros & cons of both these cars, better half also runs an ED30.

The two areas where IMHO the R32 scores over the S3 is "looks" & "soundtrack"

I personally dont want a loud thumping sound track, and would concede, that they dont come much better than an R32.

I also prefer the totally understated looks of the S3, people dont give it a second look, unless they know there cars, doesn't attract the attention of the local Stanley knife/ chav brigade or the boys in blue. (Tango Orange ones apart!)

If VW got round to shoving the S3 set up, into a Golf, they would have the best Golf ever to burn rubber IMO ,and me getting a third mortgage on the gaff to buy one...........unfortunately I cant see Mr WinterKorn bothering....... smashfreakB.gif

But if you note fastlads actual post, this thread is basically about performance, and they don't come much quicker than an S3 at the moment (see EVO this month), and the potential for extra cheap "useable" turbo ponies due to the Haldex system is a big plus. coffee.gif

IMHO The MK4 was a much better "driving experience" than the MK5,and felt a far more "special" car, but which one would you want to drive 24/7? Tricky 1! 169144-ok.gif

This is a very interesting thread!!

Since I'm still not happy with my car (it's burning way too much oil and VW are due to run some tests on it), I've been thinking about possible replacements.

I've got to admit that I change my mind everyday (but then most petrol heads do), however I do know the type of car that I want next. It has to be a turbo, without a doubt! Why? Because I want to be able to easily remap it (more bhp for £££) and I want to feel that shove in the back when you're on boost grin.gif

The S3 for me ticks all of the boxes and I'm soooooo tempted to order one, but there is only one thing holding me back and that is the possibility of the RS3! If they do release this car, then it'll be the car I go for (if I can afford it)! There isn't much else out there at the moment for me personally. I love the R32 but it just falls short on the performance side of things for me. Yes it's very capable, but it's just missed the mark for something that is marketed as an "uber hatch" imho.

On the plus side the R32 is a good all rounder and although it's looks are subtle, it does have a great soundtrack especially with a Milltek exhaust!! 169144-ok.gif However it isn't that much faster than a remapped GTI, is heavier so handling isn't as nimble and point to point in the dry, I'd wager the GTI / Leon / Focus ST, etal are just as quick.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car (apart from the issues I've had with it), but for a 3.2 litre V6, it just isn't powerful enough. Even with extra mods, it can't match a forced induction car for it's torque and in-gear wallop and it's too heavy to be a great handling "flighty" car. For me that is why is just misses the mark. If the R32 came with an engine like the new Nissan 350z's revised block, then things would be interesting!

This is all in my opinion though and many will disagree, so I don't intend to offend. This is just my own personal feelings after owning the R32 for the past year.

beerchug.gif