Clio R27

Calm Chris

Nice idea, but what's the point confused.gif

Cup model due at end of year will be £2k cheaper 169144-ok.gif

103_1.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Last year Renault had the first three F1 races in the bag but following the third race of this season fans may need a bit of a morale boost. Well what better symbol of hope than the Renaultsport Clio R27?

The latest in a line of hot hatches from Renault ideally lends itself to track-going enthusiasts due to its ride height and stiff suspension set-up. It has also acquired the 194bhp engine from the Clio 197 which is eager enough to take on a fair bit of thrashing despite a bit of shortfall in torque. In fact it bases quite a lot of its genetic make-up around the 197 as well as being loaded with tons of extra kit. Take the tinted windows, striking 17” anthracite alloys and the red brake callipers peeping out from behind them. Inside there’s also Recaro bucket seats and Renault F1 Team decals together with the production number. With only 500 being made this is obligatory - you don’t want passengers to forget they have the privilege of cruising around in a limited edition model.

With £1500 worth of extras, you can hardly quibble about paying a premium £17,250 as opposed to £15,995 for the Clio 197. What might rile your better nature though is knowing that by the end of the year you’ll be able to get the same chassis set up on the Clio 197 Cup and it’s likely to be about £2,000 cheaper than your exclusive R27. It seems then that Renault are relying on the impatience of buyers; well at least you’ll get a head start on learning your racing lines this summer.

But what defines the R27 from the current Clio 197? Essentially the engineering is tweaked to a higher grade of efficiency, the R27 is quicker to bite with its tyres and holds itself better when cornering. That said it isn’t particularly well behaved on pitted tarmac; as is the quarm with many stiffened suspensions it jolts and jigs a bit too much. But that’s why it’s geared to a sub 30 market as comfort isn’t number one on the priority list; its exhilaration that matters.

Aside from producing almost 100bhp per litre of engine capacity and streaking up the straights from 0-60mph in 6.9 seconds, it will easily keep things steamy until 134mph and there’s no doubt anyone’s going to miss your exploits out on track what with the car’s lairy paintwork. Keeping everything in check are 27 per cent stiffer springs at the front which increases to 30 per cent at the rear. The chassis is also 10 per cent stricter when it comes to body roll. Then being a whole 7mm closer to the tarmac also means that its handling feels sharper.

The R27 is certainly no half way house, they’ve built 500 because they know there’s going to be at least that many serious petrol heads who will go to their local track religiously and drive it how it was meant to be driven. That’s not to say these enthusiasts won’t commute in it as well but if it only breathed life to sit in traffic; it would be a real waste!

Judging on the fact that Renault has sold the last Six limited-edition models like hot cakes, there’s already a hungry audience. It certainly surpasses the attributes of the Clio 197 with its pin-point steering and superb control but will having a numbered plaque and an earlier arrival date be worth the extra £2K or will you hold out for the 197 Cup?

ENGINE 4 cylinders 1998cc

Co2 (g/km)/tax 199 g/km

POWER 194 bhp at 7250 rpm

TORQUE (lb/ft) 159 lb ft at 5550 rpm

0-60mph (sec) 6.9

TOP SPEED 134

MPG /-/-/33.6 (urban/extra-urban/combined)

TRANSMISSION 6-speed manual

WHEELS 17” anthracite alloys

WEIGHT 1240kg

PRICE £17,250

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Nice idea, but what's the point confused.gif

Cup model due at end of year will be £2k cheaper 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ordered too many of those lovely sticker sets an needed a way to get rid? Ditto yellow paint smile.gif

Recaros look quite nice though and I would imagine they won't be on the Cup - just about £1,200 to go (but I'm with you - Cup all the way 169144-ok.gif).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You tempted to rekindle the 205 GTi 1.9 days then Chris? This is certainly the 197 we've been waiting for ever since the launch of the positively flabby stock 197. Having said that, I don't imagine it will eclipse the 172 Cup or the limited 182 Trophy.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I went to Renault Enfield yesterday for some details on the 197 Cup- They know nothing grin.gif

£15,000 buys the bare bones cup

£150 gets white paint

£850 for seats that will be too hard

£175 for black speedlines (which I don't like)

No news on option costs or availability of cornering lamps or Xenons.

No idea if Cup will be a ltd ed model or open to general order thus less exclusive.

I'll re post the Cup details 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be testing a F1 on Thursday morning (since there's no Cup testers).

Renault Enfield suggested (yesterday) that the Cup would have options for duel lights, cornering lights and Xenons.

What do they know grin.gif

I'll get further confirmation on Thursday and post back what they say 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear what they say - believe me those options are not available on the Cup. There are still some R27s out there though cool.gif