Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
330dcoupe

Courtisy cars

18 posts in this topic

How many of you find it annoying\disappointing to get the keys to the crap-est car on the forecourt when dropping your own car off at the stealers for repairs\servicing ?

Today, I dropped my car off to get it checked over one last time before it's warranty runs out and got a 318d tourer estate as a courtesy car.

To my suprise, it was actually not that bad! for an entry level diesel estate - Not the quickest thing around, but the little diesel engine pulled the heavy load lugger strongly and handled very well around the bends.

I know it's an almost impossible thing to ask, but wouldn't it be great if your car was replaced (even just a little bit) like for like?

I know there's a guy up here in the North East, who's made millions and millions over just a couple of years, by setting up a business for just this. What he does is work in conjunction with stealers to replace expensive motors like for like when someone needs a visit to a stealership. (luxury and sports cars) I'll post more info about him, when I find it.

I mean I can see all the different angles as to why BMW and any other manufacturer would do this. 1)stop people ripping the sh*t out of their more expensive models. 2) by giving the lowest models in the range, they aren't losing much in ways of depreciation. But I do wonder if someone bringing a great big dirty BMW 7 series in for service would be given the same car?

I'm just glad I get a courtesy car to get back home in - but that doesn't stop me hoping for something a little sportier for next time grin.gif

I've never understood this.

Surely BMW should have a fleet of M3/M5's as courtesy cars, and Audi should have S4/RS4s and Mercs should have AMGs etc - TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO UPGRADE.

Fecking stupid really aren't they. smashfreakB.gif

I'd just buy a bottom of the range car and keep finding things wrong with it. grin.gif

Seriously though, it is annoying getting a totally inappropriate car. When I had Audis, my local dealer was very good and I never had anything below about 200 bhp as a courtesy car. On the other hand, my sister was recently given a Ka by Ford to transport her family of five.

I was given a bloody Mazda Demio as a courtesy car when my car was in getting work done on it. Basically a bit of tin on wheels. Was a total embarrassment. sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Surely BMW should have a fleet of M3/M5's as courtesy cars, and Audi should have S4/RS4s and Mercs should have AMGs etc - TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO UPGRADE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic or just stupid? yelrotflmao.gif

We bought our Mercedes from a Bentley dealership - unfortunately, we didn't get any Bentleys as courtesy cars (strangely!!) but did find ourselves in some nice vehicles. They, unlike more mainstream dealers replace like for like. I think the Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro S-line was the pick of the bunch.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being sarcastic or just stupid? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a point though. Maybe not top of the range, but ensure that some people get to drive some of the higher up models. It might make they thing what they 'Could' have got with an extra few pennies.

I often try to arrange a specific car, I'm thinking of changing to X could I have a drive of one as my courtesy car etc. Works most of the time and is genuine as well to a degree.

Lexus were best, kept giving me a GS when I took my IS in, was nice to play with that for a day. 169144-ok.gif

I'd agree with the comment about Lexus, whenever mine goes in it's always a good spec car and although mostly IS's I've had RX and GS models as well. Best way I've found is to ask what they have and request it rather than wait to see what appears when you get there. In any case it is always another Lexus.

When our A8 goes in we always get an A8 courtesy car.. Although one of the dealers A8's is now a Q7..

When the A4's go in I never get anything smaller than an A4, usually an A6... from our stealers they always seem to be S-Line ones too...

Chaz

Its a great way for dealers to give you the impression they have done a great job on your car. Drop it off, drive around in a matiz all day, pick it back up and feels like your going home in a ferrari jump.gif

You're all a bunch of car snobs. I don't mind as long as the car is clean and doesn't break down.

I had a Ssanyong Rexton the past 2 days (annual TVR service/MOT - the dealer is a Subaru/Ssangyong importer). It was interesting to see how much of a prat I felt driving a big SUV (and a Rexton at that). Kept up with everyone in the outside lane OK too.

I just think its a brilliant way of advertising new cars. You think hmm nice bonus this year etc, i could really do with this car! Easy sale for the dealership. Chester Audi have been good to me, ive had an A3 3.2, and an A8 4.0 TDI when my cars gone in for warrenty. When my wife had the sharan (gone as of today!) she used to get a lovely gutless 1.2 Polo (yellow!!)

My Dad got a bottom of the range poverty spec Polo when his Golf GTI was in the garage. Pretty poor imo

Well i got 1.4 Golf when my R32 was in for warranty work. It was supposed to be like-for-like.

So you hand in a 30k car and come away with a basic spec car frown.gif

Hardly like for like, is it?

[ QUOTE ]

You're all a bunch of car snobs. I don't mind as long as the car is clean and doesn't break down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's right. This is a car forum, what else do you expect? crazy.gif

I had a Ssanyong Rexton the past 2 days (annual TVR service/MOT - the dealer is a Subaru/Ssangyong importer). It was interesting to see how much of a prat I felt driving a big SUV (and a Rexton at that). Kept up with everyone in the outside lane OK too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one had the stronger smell of glue? coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's right. This is a car forum, what else do you expect? crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one had the stronger smell of glue? coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Could have been worse, could have been a Rodius EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

"I don't mind as long as the car is clean and doesn't break down"

[/ QUOTE ]

So why you buy a TVR? grin.gif