Audi S3

shao_khan

Decision making; I test drove Audi S3, Audi A3 2ltfsiQ, VW GOlf GTi, VW G Ed30, VW G R32, Honda Civic Type R, Mini Cooper s, Mini Cooper S GP, Megane R27, Vauxhall VXR vectra. Didnt bother with Seat Cupra as I hate my local dealership and wouldnt even grace them with a visit so I might have missed out.

Anyway reasons behind choice.

Vectra - Better car than most mags would have you belive, manic to the poitn of scarey but depreciation is similarly scarey and even with my discount I just couldnt stomache this no matter how good the car - VXR Gone.

Civic R - Looks, I just hate it, the car drives very well, handles better than outgoign model, but I couldnt live withthe look - CTR gone

Megane - I loved the drive and performance, Renault certainly know how to make a fun car to drive, but it felt cheap compared to some, and TBH felt like something expensive was goign to go wrong, I know its not a good basis for a choice, but Megane Gone.

VW - GTI and GTI 30 - great cars, handle well, ED30 I find the extra power just makes it that extra fun, almost what it should have been from scratch. Main issue was not a cheap car, but I just cant like the MKv interrior trim, it feels cheap. I did find in damp conditions when pushed the fwd does hamper performance.

VW - R32 - heavy lump in the front I felt affected handling and what i thought was fairly soft suspension set up, it didnt feel as focused as my mkiv to me.

VW - both discounted because they felt cheaper inside and R32 just didnt have the 'fun' turbo charged engine that the GTi has.

Mini COoper S - I love the new turbo engine, for me its a 100% improvement over the old car, I just never liked that supercharged engine (in fact had Lupo GTI and Clio 172 in pref to Mini twice). Handling is excellent, and in general pretty faultless, for me though - just too small and thats reason for exclusion.

Mini Cooper S GP - Fixed all the faults i had with the old engine, fantastic drive and feel, needs to be experienced to be believed, top piece of kit. Size and practicality main factor for exclusion.

Aud S3 - intial feeling was good quality trim esp compared to civic, megane, vxr and golfs, certainly comparable to Mini. Performance was good and ride is firm, perhaps a little too firm in some situations. Stock equipment isnt too bad - leather, xenon plus, 4wd.

For me the Audi felt like a better all round proposition and 12 weeks later we have:

http://www.woofdoggy.com/audi_S3.htm

Initial reactions are that I made the right choice, suspension as many mags mention is firm, but I brought it to be a sporty car, not a softy cruiser, granted it has been ramaped and has exhaust in the pipeline, but performance has been suprising, last night on the motorway I was following Shark in his mapped MK4 and I was suprised with a nearly new engine that I could match pace even remaining in 6th and changing down enabled rapid progress. The stock sports seats are great for the slightly wider owner, and specced with Bose & phone gives it everything I am likely to need.

Full report when Ive been driving it a while.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

I hope to get some dyno figures when the exhaust is done. 169144-ok.gif

Once I've ran it in I'll join you at the next pod meet to see how it compares. Having listened to yours last night - I'll swap seats for a trip up the lanes 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

After Santa Pod the 310 BHP retune is on the cards for July. What a beast it will be and as you said Santa Pod will be a good proving ground post chip 169144-ok.gif

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

right if you're playing that game then I'm having a remap also! tongue.gif Although fat use that will be if i'm spinning the rears with 360bhp!

you may want to consider what Chris does to his exhaust too whilst having a remap.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

After Santa Pod the 310 BHP retune is on the cards for July. What a beast it will be and as you said Santa Pod will be a good proving ground post chip 169144-ok.gif

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

right if you're playing that game then I'm having a remap also! tongue.gif Although fat use that will be if i'm spinning the rears with 360bhp!

you may want to consider what Chris does to his exhaust too whilst having a remap.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Dont worry I did wait for you once I got a car length ahead tongue.gif

I dont think there is much to be gained from the exhaust change to be honest more the re tune but I will watch and learn. Rumour has it that a 350 BHP tune will be available from July shocked.gif

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Si you heard anything from Omen regarding his map? Been holding out for this but its taking time!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Si you heard anything from Omen regarding his map? Been holding out for this but its taking time!

[/ QUOTE ]

I PM'd him Friday on another forum and am awaiting further info - will be speaking to him during the week as I'm away for a few days.

DOne over 1000 miles now and its begining to show its capability, will try to do a propper review in a week or so.

Remapped performance though is good fun - had a play today, driving around Redditch and a new CTR wanted a play and TBH i thought they'd be quicker laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I PM'd him Friday on another forum and am awaiting further info - will be speaking to him during the week as I'm away for a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know boss. Id be up for this too 169144-ok.gif