Should I buy a Cayman - Help?

Paul252526

I've seen the Cayman on the road and everytime I see one I stop and stare! Beautiful car in montion. I have a company car A3 2.O TDI Sport, but am drawn to purchase a weekend run around and cant get the bloody Cayman out of my head.

I want the 2.7 but have been wondering about a few things?

1) Why the hell are there always a load of Caymans for sale privately on Autotrader's website - are they hard to live with I am wondering??

Any comments from people out there especially those 2.7 owners?

Cheers

Paul

PS Has anyone got a picture of a Cayman with the new aero kit?

If money was no object - I'd definitely spec up a Cayman over a Carrera.

My Boxster has the 2.7l, and I find it lovely to drive, beautifully balanced and enough grunt to have fun and get in serious trouble. In fact it is much more deceptive w.r.t. speed than the R32 - so I have to be on my guard around town when driving it, as you can easily exceed the speed limit by 30-40km/h and not notice.

I've only driven a Cayman S, but the characteristics were very similar, though the stiffer body ('cause of the roof) was noticeable on some of the poorer roads around here.

Well, only you can confirm whether the lack of rear seats is a problem. but aside from that I do not believe that you would have a problem using it every day.

I think the rear window/hatch opens, accessing a decent amount of storage space behind the seats and I think there is a reasonable amount of space in the front book.

I use a 911 as a daily driver, and have no issues whatsoever, only that I keep taking the long way to and from work!!

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

I think the rear window/hatch opens, accessing a decent amount of storage space behind the seats and I think there is a reasonable amount of space in the front book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - the Cayman takes more luggage than all the other Porsches, except the Cayenne. It's the reason why I'd get one, as it'll carry maybe 1/3 - 1/2 as much again as the Boxster...

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard the suspension is very hard. But you will pick up if its too firm in a test drive. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A while back I had couple of test drives in 987 Boxster's. My thoughts regarding the ride were up 18" ride was pretty good with standard suspension, but if you are thinking of 19" wheels then I would add PASM as it is pretty hard without it.

I would assume the Cayman is pretty similar if not slightly better, but best to try a few test drives of various combinations of wheel size and if you can standard and PASM equiped cars.

[ QUOTE ]

1) Why the hell are there always a load of Caymans for sale privately on Autotrader's website

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that old, and peeps do like to buy a new model. Then they can add it to the list of "I've had this, I've had that", add in that some will have spent £50k on a weekend car and that some might have (silly peeps) thought it would be a serious winner on the residuals and that is some sort of explanation.

Quite a lot (S's)seem to be circa £40k, which for a 15 month old car is high cost. You can get Z4M Coupes new for less than that, nearly RS4 money, £25k will get you a M3 05- There's so much choice at the values mentioned that the Caymen is only really suitable for the 3rd car spot.

Only a few can afford that, so hence they sell slowly 169144-ok.gif

I would be mindful of prices tumbling down over the next 6 months should Gordon continue to feck the economy and the tax payers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Yep - the Cayman takes more luggage than all the other Porsches, except the Cayenne. It's the reason why I'd get one, as it'll carry maybe 1/3 - 1/2 as much again as the Boxster...

[/ QUOTE ]

But given that you can store a fair amount of luggage on the back seats of a 911 plus the rear shelf, I reckon the 911 has more storage space than the Cayman!

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But given that you can store a fair amount of luggage on the back seats of a 911 plus the rear shelf, I reckon the 911 has more storage space than the Cayman!

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to Porsche or the literature I got from them... smile.gif

I have had a 2.7 for a few months and its a very practical car - but I wonder what Paul actully needs the car for. If I want to move lots of luggage the Golf does that - however recently we ahve moved a lot of gear around and I have been very surprised just how much luggage/suits and clothes I was able to load into it.

As well as the front boot, rear boot you can place quite a bit on the engine cover.

I would wholly recommend a Cayman everyday of the week. It can get ridiculous when spec'ing options but the best way to do that is get what is most important - I think the following should be the min you shoudl spec-

Auto Air Con - trust me you want that!

Sound Package Plus

Rear Parking Sensors

Auto Dim Rear View Mirrors

18" Wheels - they do make the ride slighlty harsher but the grip is immense.

DEFINATELY get Xennon Headlamps the normal ones are shite!

And of course Speed Yellow is the final "must have" option!!

Some say the rear wiper is must have - well I got Nathan at Camb Autogleam to put some pretty good wax on the rear screen and the water does not stand and as soon as I pull away - its all gone.

Good luck in your search - you'll love it!

Hi, its excellent to hear some views from owners who have had it for a while. Myself, i think its a stunning car.

Im in a slightly similar position, as in, i currently own an A3 (as per my sig, and love it, but needs to be chipped) but am looking at what to do car wise in the next year.

Currently the two options which stand out to me are a Z4M or the Cayman. I have not test driven either yet but seen them in the showrooms and im very much drawn to the Porsche (its just so beautiful) - however, i dont think i could resist but use it as an every day car so its great to hear that that appears to be the case!

However, ive specced up the model i would like to get (standard Cayman) but i think id have to spec the beautiful 19" sportdesign alloys and the aerokit - how does this affect the day to day use of it? I hear its really hard on 18"'s so as mentioned i guess the porsche adaptive suspension be a necessary option. Does anyone have any views as to how the aero kit affects day to day use over say speed bumps! (as the porsche site states it reduces 'entry' angly considerably...)

What difference is the auto-air con versus the normal air con?

Thanks!

Krzys

PS. i do realise that from what ive read there is no comparison performance wise between a Z4M and the Cayman but they are in a similar price bracket and the lure of owning my first Porsche is quite strong smile.gif

Polak.

My points-

I had an A3 as well before the Porsche - could be a bit of a precedent starting here!

I have to say the Bimmer is well thought off but not being unkind to a great marque its still a bimmer (hope I dont get flamed!). The porsche started off and almost continues to be exclusively a sports car - having driven the Cayman and Boxsters previously the placement of the engine and its associated noise makes it THE car to consider.

You CAN definately use it as an everyday car BUT I cant because using it in supermarket car parks would upset me!

If you get 19" wheels everyone says you should get the PASM fitted which allows for suspension mods from a button! It also takes into consideration teh larger wheels and lesser rubber!

Cant say much about the Aero kit - some of it looks cool and some it isn't me tbh.

Auto air con is where you get a digit for the "set temp" and hitting auto will keep the interior at theat temp - like what you get in your A3 if you have climate control.

If you want to be really pi$$ed off not speccing it means you get a switch for temp and a switch for fan speed. You will have to manually raise and lower each and trust me its a fecking fallacy it isnt there as standard.

Once you have driven a car then you'll dream of owning it - so good luck in looking and you wont be looking back!

Tone

• 4 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Dont buy a girly looking car get a z4m coupe if you can handle a beast (servicing is half the cost too!) makes the cayman sound like barbies car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Z4 is indeed a fine looking and sounding car (wouldn't be biassed at all would you?). Trouble is.... it simply isn'y a Porsche. Mind you, if those cheep service costs are important to you then hey, fine choice. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that the Z4 Coupe is not exactly good looking either sure its got the great performance but as I said we are talking about cars not looks - since when did a Porsche look girlie?

I guess if you want to stand out then buy a Porsche if you want to blend into obscurity then get the Bimmer...either way you'll be branded a tosser by most other road users!

I agree with the to**er branding, guess its the price we pay, however how many porsches do you see per journey up against z4ms? Porsche are not very rare these days are they? Re looks the z4m is more masculine than most cars (especially one with a girls name (pronounced Porcsher?). Also check it out...the Cayman has nicked its front fogs from a Hyundai Trajet hasnt it? (see photo)

Re Mk1TTs comments I had a 911, nice car but dont like getting ripped off over toys and servicing (I know the beamer is not exacly cheap but its a bit more sensible). My brother in law paid £1200 for his RS4 service, he's a multi millionaire and he's not happy! So I guess its alright to be prudent even if you can afford it.

post-13914-137914403796_thumb.jpg

Hi Chap!

So you are saying that there are more Porkers on the roads then BMW's????

Lets face it we are biased towards what we spend our cash on - but really - I could have purchased another BMW and to be honest after seeing the 1-series ( 1.gif)why would I want a car from that stable - having the choice I have?

Whats speaking far louder then the comments about styling is that you are here in the Porsche forum but you'll never see a post of mine in the BMW forum - I think I realise what your really looking for - go on admit it! One thing you'll also notice is that a Porsche doesnt have a pansy speed limiter - because it is after all a sports car.

wink.gifbuttcheeks.gif

Tone

Tone,

I totally agree about the 1 series its styling is almost as bad as a Cayenne!

I like to look at the forums for cars I have had, like I said I used to be the proud owner of a 911 which was a great car if not a dangerous one without a limiter. Moving the engine a bit in the Cayman was probably a stroke of genius.

On a lighter note the Trajet doesnt have a limiter either! Same lower front end as the Cayman you will have to agree!

Only pulling your leg, it is a great car but you do pay for extras through the nose that are standard on the Z4M (Xenons for instance) If the Posche had them as standard it wouldnt need the daft Hyundai foglights!

jump.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well its funny - going back to the ugly factor - I was in Earls Court this evening and out of the blue a BMW Z4M Coupe comes flying up behind me - I do the right thing and let him past (speed camera 100 yds away!).

I didn't say anything but my girlfriend exclaims - "you gotta be pretty blind to buy such an ugly car" - Priceless!

wink.gif