VXR8

Woppum

Im surprised this car hasnt stirred up more emotion on here, or have I missed the banter?

With 420bhp on tap in standard form at a totally reasonable £35k why havent we all been singing its praises since there was news of its release? Ok it will be specced to £40k when you add the stunning AP brakes (same ones I believe as I have on my car), a sports zorst and a supercharger boosting the power to 550bhp! With all that kit it will still be £10k under a considerably slower E92 M3...

vxr8two.jpg

vxr8one.jpg

vxr8four.jpg

vxr8tthree.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Because it's fooking ugly as sin - fugly. Flush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So what!? Look at the power it has, and the interior doesn't look too shabby. Looks like a new car bargain to me. Still Graham you have a point, it wont look good in white with dipped black wheels. My money will still be on the M3, but I can see this being mighty tempting...

Unfortunately, I`m not sure that many who can afford to pay out 35-40k will want to put their money into one of these.

It will undoubtedly be rapid, but for that sort of money, you`re into CSL territory (as you know, Wopps grin.gif), and used RS4, and I would think people would prefer one of those if it came to it.

I also don`t feel that it will appeal to the same buyer as the Monaro-set, as the Monaro appealed to those wanting a rapid, stylish coupe. This appears to be aimed at a different market, ie; family-man wanting rapid transport.

Believe me, I`m not knocking this, as it`s exactly the market that I`m in (with 3 kids), but again, I don`t believe that this market is big enough to make this a viable proposition.

Finally; depreciation. Again, I`m no badge-snob, as I just buy a car for what it`ll do, etc, but these will depreciate alarmingly, due, if nothing else, to the size of the engine, and the subsequent fuel-consumption.

Having said all that, hats off to anyone that buys one, as I`m sure they`ll be a great drive, and EXTREMELY quick ! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I`m not sure that many who can afford to pay out 35-40k will want to put their money into one of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't stopped the Chrysler Hemi from selling? Same sort of thing - albeit a bit cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the square at least has a little bit of presence & merkin chic. This just says I won't/can't pay the extra 10k for an RS4 (or 15k or so for an M5/M6). At least the Monaro looks ok, whereas this just looks like a car crash between a boggo Holden, an Impreza and a small budget ROLLEY~14.GIF

Bo55 and myself went to the pre-launch of this car back in March, and it failed to entice both of us. Fantastic car if you are after a four door executive ride, but for the two of us who lust after the same kinda ride in a coupe format, it failed to turn us on.

That said, my local dealer has been in touch already, in fact a few months back with a price on my car as a trade in, and am expecting a call as soon as it arrives in the showroom, so I can take it out for a wee while. WORTEC have already got the mods planned, the same tuning gurus who tuned the Monaros, so plenty of mods on the shelf. Bo55, myself and my missus are booked on a track day at Thruxton in the not too distant future, where we will be thrashing this and the new Corsa around.......so watch this space 169144-ok.gif

Well, as the OP said, why haven't we had much comment...

In my opinion, the car has no identity.... it looks too NORMAL... a high-end exec-wagon with a big engine...

The Monaro on the other hand had a distinctive profile and looked different from anything on the road....

• 1 month later...

Vectra + cheap body building supplements = VXR8

Power isn't everything, although it seems to be Vauxhalls only answer. They can't put a good looking car (never mind a good handling one) together for toffee.

Another brawnfest, characterless box of tat from Vauxhall. icon_neutral.gif

Next thing you know, they'll be trying to breathe life back into a Calibra.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Vectra + cheap body building supplements = VXR8

[/ QUOTE ]

The Vectra is FWD, this is RWD.

Totally different beasts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks icon_neutral.gif

I wasn't actually commenting on the driven wheels, I was talking more about the looks.

Note to self, make it more obvious what you are being derogatory about.

Vectra + <font color="red">erm...RWD conversion </font> + cheap body building supplements = VXR8 169144-ok.gif