Should I clear the codes?

Oli18

Just a quick question but i have just gotten the ebay dongle to work with the freeware and some errors came back (see below).

Am i right in assuming that it's wise to clear the codes and then re-check in a week's time to see if they come back?

Also, does clearing the fault code stop the error from popping up on my dashboard after the 'check' function has been pressed as mine still shows some errors (eventhough i cleared the errors in VAG-COM)...

See vid of errors here: http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=614862

Many thanks,

Oli

PS- what is a DTC? and are the non-bolded items below actual errors?

Engine

16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High

17977 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

P1569 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

18011 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

P1603 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate – Intermittent

Airbag

00532 - Supply Voltage B+ (airbag)

Instruments

00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30

53-10 - Supply Voltage Too Low - Intermittent

00562 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

30-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00562 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

29-10 - Please Register/Activate – Intermittent

Centrt. Elect.

01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)

35-00 - -

01371 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

35-00 - Please Register/Activate

01372 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

01374 - Alarm triggered by Terminal 15

35-00 - -

01370 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

01368 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

01366 - Opened Due to Crash Signal

35-00 - -

00991 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

28-00 - Please Register/Activate

00956 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

09-00 - Please Register/Activate

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)

77-00 - Internal Supply Voltage

Radio:

00856 - Radio Antenna

Park Assist:

01546 - Sensor for Parking Aid: Rear Mid-Left (G204)

01626 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

30-00 - Please Register/Activate

01627 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

30-00 - Please Register/Activate

01628 - Sensor for Parking-Aid: Front Mid-Left (G254)

37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

01629 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs

31-00 - Please Register/Activate

[ QUOTE ]

Just a quick question but i have just gotten the ebay dongle to work with the freeware and some errors came back (see below).

Am i right in assuming that it's wise to clear the codes and then re-check in a week's time to see if they come back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth clearing them, and re-checking almost immediately & maybe again a week later. That will tell you if they are old stored codes from an intermittent event or current codes.

Of course with registered VAG-COM it stores the date & time too as well as decoding the DTC's.

Thanks PetrolDave! I am considering buying the license! laugh.gif

A few more questions I was hoping that someone might know the answer to...

1. What are DTCs exactly?

2. Does anyone have any feedback on the errors that come up on the dash (see video link http://uk.video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=614862)? Would like to get rid of them if i can. It's strange that i.e. the washer fluid light comes on and petrol as they're both plenty full...

3. Are Non-bolded errors in 1st post above actually errors? My guess is that they are errors but because i have the shareware version, i can not see what they are...is this correct?

Cheers! beerchug.gif

-Oli

[ QUOTE ]

1. What are DTCs exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Diagnostic trouble codes.

[ QUOTE ]

2. Does anyone have any feedback on the errors that come up on the dash...

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the visual confirmation of the fault codes stored.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Are Non-bolded errors in 1st post above actually errors? My guess is that they are errors but because i have the shareware version, i can not see what they are...is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=VAGCOM

P.S.: Some of the codes may be covered by our WIKI, another thing we came up with to help our customers... wink.gif

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

I Think the Licence is expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put some perspective on the price of the license:

* How many times can you fill the fuel tank on an A8 for $99 USD?

* How much does your dealer charge you for one hour of diagnostic time (which is typically the minimum they will charge)?

* How much does the factory tool cost?

[ QUOTE ]

You can download the crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Click here for a crack... yelrotflmao.gif

-Uwe-

[ QUOTE ]

How many times can you fill the fuel tank on an A8 for $99 USD?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends? In the UK you can just about fill it 3/4 full. In the US you can fill it several times!

Since, living in the UK, I have to spend more of my hard earned cash on fuel, I'll use the crack and put the cash saved in the tank! Thanks. the_finger.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends? In the UK you can just about fill it 3/4 full. In the US you can fill it several times!

Since, living in the UK, I have to spend more of my hard earned cash on fuel, I'll use the crack and put the cash saved in the tank! Thanks. the_finger.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me.... It's worth the outlay, just pay up!!! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the UK and run an RS4 - so I KNOW about the cost of petrol!!!

But I still bought the proper licence. Why? The support I've had from Uwe and colleagues has been tremendous, all questions answered quickly and accurately. You won't get that by using the cheap crack...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is an idea to save even more money, why not drive off without paying for the petrol as well.

When a company takes the trouble to answer questions about their product on a forum for free then they get a lot of respect.

Edited to add: I bought the licence as well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. The above was a bit of 'misplaced' joviality on my part. Wrong audience I guess. I humbly apologise to any member of Tyresmoke.net and the Ross-Tech organisation that may be offended by any of the comments I have made relating to Ross-Tech products or the cost of the Software License.

When I’d successfully completed testing my interface it became apparent that I now needed to activate/register the software. When visiting the Ross-Tech website to find out how I go about this, I was inundated by long forms for this and short forms for that and the site didn’t appear forthcoming with the price of a license which, in my experience, is usual a bad sign. My remark below was based on my findings which are completely unfounded and I again apologise.

[ QUOTE ]

I Think the Licence is expensive. You can download the crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This evening though I found that information straight away. I couldn’t find it for looking the other day!

I was genuinely quite surprised when Uwe said it was only 99 USD and you’re absolutely right, I would cost more than that to have Audi read fault codes once. Needless to say, I will be registering my copy if I decide to continue using it. If I decide not to, rest assured I will uninstall it, full stop.

I fully accept the kick in the ‘crack’ I have been given.