A4 Avant: What does the ILM unit look like?

Sponge

Fitting electrics for towbar. Instructions say to route to ILM unit in driver's footwell.

Page 5, step 13.

Westfalia.

This is for the 7 pin, mine is a 13, but the step is the same.

I've taken the cover off to expose the fuse box, but not sure what I'm looking for. There doesn't appear to be a grey connector. I'm not even sure in it's there. it could be somewhere else! crazy.gif

Could it be the black plug in the middle left of this picture?

1170975-DSCF1485.jpg

post-10548-13791440095_thumb.jpg

That looks like the connector for the light switch. It may be worth taking the lower trim off so see if you can find the ILM unit (whatever it may be - Intelligent Light Module???) The trim is not too tricky to remove! Sorry cant be more help! Good luck.

This is turning into a nightmare of a job. Flush.gif

I've emailed Westfalia asking them to expand on their instructions.

I've also spent hours searching Elsawin, trying to find something. But the best I've found is this:

1171360-A90-0158.png

A - green

B - blue

32-pin sockets, but the wrong colour.

post-10548-137914400977_thumb.png

It's a valid question. One I asked myself. But the instructions do say Audi A4/B7 RHD.

The people I asked at the dealership had no idea. But they didn't actually expend much energy in finding out. It was a simple, 'Do you know what an ILM is?' 'No.' ROLLEY~14.GIF

I'm still wondering if ILM = illumination = instrument cluster. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry Sponge, have not got a clue....

Hold on - I see the problem.... your fuses are in upside down!! yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

fekr.gif

Right from what I now know you are looking for the "onboard supply control unit" (J519)

Take a look at "Trailer socket from August 2004" it should be third from bottom of wiring diagram list

I've not seen this control module but I've never removed the instrument cluster, but according to a quick seach on google, J519 is located under the dash on the driver's side.

But don't quote me on that... 169144-ok.gif

• 3 years later...

An old thread I guess but google chucked it out when I was trying to find out what an ilm was... so I'm not the first to find the Westfalia instructions are a little lacking :)

Anyway, in the instrutions it says I need a VAG COM to change some settings for the towbar electrics, just wondering if you did that and if the electrics work if you don't bother?

Ta.