Passenger Airbag - 2002 Mini Cooper

turts99

Hi, as I will shortly be needing to seat my new baby in the passenger seat, I need to turn off the airbag. My handbook tells me to speak to Mini Service about this - bit miffed about this, I was expecting them to provide a way we can turn them off ourselves like in many other cars!

Anyway, anyone had it done, and how much did it cost?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally rang BMW about this. I have to sign a disclaimer saying I am happy for my airbag to be turned off (as it'll be off all the time til I take it back to them). Obviously I'm not happy about this, nor that they will then charge me around £200 to turn it off - they reckoned it was a 2 hour job! The baby will be sitting in the back :-)

• 4 months later...

I worked for the Instrument panel supplier on R50/2 and on the New R56 which has an endcap with the on off switch. If they are physcially disconnecting the PAB then there is a lot of work involved and they also need to put a resistor I think in the circuit to stop your airbag fault lamp being lit constantly (I'm not an electrical engineer so don't quote me on the resistor bit)