Mk 6 Golf - again!

StokeGTi

I was reading Auto Express in Sainsbury's yesterday & they have an article on the Mk 6 Golf. According to the article the Mk6 makes its debut at the Geneva Show in March next year, with UK deliveries starting in October. I guess that means the new GTi in January '09? The picture of "how we think it will look" was just a re-tread of the pictures from other articles that have been posted on here. They speculate that the GTi will have a new engine using twincharger technology.

[ QUOTE ]

Golf styling has always been fairly tame compared to its' rivals. In GTI guise it's very handsome and a well rounded design IMO.

Trouble with these 'new' designs is there's always some aspect I really dislike.

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly how I feel. I hate things like triangular exhaust pipes and over styled features.

At over 32,000 miles I'm far from bored with my GTI and have just been out for a drive to test my new PogoAlert. I guess if I was wanting another car other than a Golf I'd be considering going back to a BMW.

169144-ok.gif

Whilst the Golf's styling is very conservative, I struggle to identify better cars which will fit people in the back reasonably comfortably, perform well and suitable for all occasions (weddings, funerals, corporate meetings and race track etc) AND cost less than £22k.

Many who have moved away from GTI's have bought much more expensive machinery and (I think) had highly specced GTI's which they sold.

I really like the Audi S3 but even that seems a bit pricey compared to the GTI and what it offers. I hope VW are careful what they do with the next GTI....thet're currently on to a bit of a winner compared to the last couple of models. 169144-ok.gif

Yep, the Mk5 will be a hard act to follow. But possible features imo are:

LED Dayrunning Lights

Darkened Headlights - All LED?

7-speed DSG

TS engine

Lower CO2

But I'm speculating of course.

If they don't retain an iconic GTI identity separate from the other Golfs, VW will lose sales imo. Unfortunately I reckon the R32's days might be numbered as it's thirstier and more expensive to run.

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't that why the MK6 has been delayed in order to make it more appealing due to the more daring designs coming out from competitors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite, its been held back as new head of VW wanted to improve quality, door seals for one, also was not 100% sure of the styling so wanted walta de-silva to slightly tweek it shocked.gif(shudders).

As for the engine there was a 1.6 co-developed with the 1.4 TSI wink.gif will it be used in the GTI maybe maybe not, theres also a 1.4TSI with more than 200PS wink.gif as the 2.0T-FSI has universal prase and the TSI does not, you never know the 2.0 may stay at first.

Remember this is more a 1/2 a new car many things will be the same, roof panel, glass, chassis(with miner alteration but general the same) etc.

oh and i know were autoexpress gets most there 'correct' VW info from i also know who feeds them the BS.

The 2.0T engine has won many awards and I doubt VW will give up on it just yet. Perhaps after a year or so they will offer a choice of engines on the GTI...1.6TSI or similar and the 2.0T.

My money would bet on the GTI Ed30 engine fitted as standard on the mk6 GTI at first as it will want to entice existing loyal GTI drivers across and will want to offer more than fresh door skins / lights etc

2.0TSI is my bet... in a less dynamic, more lardy car crazy.gif

7 speed DSG might not be too great either, mercs 7 speeder is awkward, the ratios are all over the place.

A 335i/335d for me next - just gotta decide which.

The GTi is superb, no question... i just bet my bottom dollar that they feck the next one up.

[ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I feel. I hate things like triangular exhaust pipes and over styled features.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with you there Robin. 169144-ok.gif

The new Civic Type R, IMHO, is a perfect example of trying too hard to create something radical and different.

In the end, the back end (sic tongue.gif) just looks like a dogs breakfast.

My best guess is that the Mark 6 GTI spec will be similar to your 2.0TFSI and DSG 7 speed combination. The 7 speed DSG I heard was already in production and the 2.0TFSI will be coming soon.

I would also like a head up display for the DSG.

We won't see the car until mid 2009 if the Auto Express timetable is correct. That makes the first of the MkV's here in Oz around 4 years old. I guess a few of us would be looking for a change by then.

The new 7 speed DSG box (DQ 200) starts production at the end of the year and its first application in the UK is planned for the Golf mated to the 1.4 ltre TSI petrol and 1.9 TDI diesel engines.

Its a lot smaller in size/weight and now uses dual dry clutches.

Its also mounted transversely and can be applied to models from the Polo up to the Passat.