PogoAlert by Origin...

RedRobin

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superbly compact and with many options on how you personalise your settings. This is a dedicated GPS sourced speed camera/blackspot/school/etc device - I already have an excellent Alpine SatNav/Audio 6" touch screen system, so didn't need a combined SatNav/SpeedCamAlert. I'm finding it much easier to know my speed and drive accordingly.

I previously had a New Road Angel and so have come to know exactly what I seek in such bits of kit. Road Angel themselves (they're not allowed to call themselves "Blackspot" anymore!) recommended that the PogoAlert would suit my needs and that my model of RA no longer would. Road Angels are very good but my VW speedo is both unacceptably inaccurate (13%) and has very poor graphics - The Audis are far superior. Consequently I want the biggest and best mph/kmh display I can get and the PogoAlert's is so good it's like having a windscreen heads-up system. You even have a choice of five different speed numeral colours, and whether to display small or large (as in my pic). As expected, the unit has all the brightness and contrast controls.

The pic below shows how perfectly a driver (me!) can clearly see the road, the GLF signage, and mph, all at once.

PogoAlert1.jpg

If I start writing about all the settings it'll end up the same as the 25 page manual except without its excellent illustrations. It's got just about everything you would expect, except perhaps data on 'possible mobile camera locations', but I've heard that that is probably coming and will be downloadable on existing units. It's faaaar more customisable than any Road Angel. If I have any criticism it's that when you are in a camera zone there's a lot of info to read on a small screen, but it doesn't stop you from driving within the designated speed limit.

It comes in the box with a windscreen sucker bracket as well as a dashboard mount - Which is what I switched to once mine was hardwired. The windscreen mount is excellent with a pressure bar and vibration free. Whichever mount is used, the unit itself is infinitably adjustable in both plains, so you can angle it perfectly. I find that tilting it down slightly helps reduce light interference across its screen from outside. The unit is extremely well finished.

PogoAlert3.jpg

A laser 'eye' is supplied which is easy to clip on or off by being attached to the windscreen bracket. You would need a small extra accessory ot fit it to the windscreen when the Pogo is dashmounted like mine. It's a bit naughty though, because on the box it says "Includes Laser Detection" - Yes, but what use is that when it's too late when the Pogo detects the laser hit?

If travelling to a country where any kind of GPS-based camera device is illegal, then it's very easy to remove everything except the plastic dashboard mount as my pic below. The other lump is the aerial for my Alpine SatNav.

PogoAlert2.jpg

TSNer Helfinger sells the PogoAlert and his web site is: HERE There are a lot of good illustrations and images on his web page.

I bought mine from: HERE Where I was able to part exchange my Road Angel.

Origin's techsupport is immediate and high quality.

Great review Red, I have the RA2;so does the hard wire connector fit into this Pogoalert?in other words is it the same fitting, if so I will dump the RA2 and get one, many thanks +++

Edited by Golfer

Great review Red, I have the RA2;so does the hard wire connector fit into this Pogoalert?in other words is it the same fitting, if so I will dump the RA2 and get one, many thanks +++

....I don't think it does. I previously had a New Road Angel (silly name as it was quickly superceded!) hardwired but had to change the hardwiring. Worth though imo.

Origin should be able to tell you.

HTH +++