Photo
- - - - -

Xenon headlight conversion for driving in Europe.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

I haven't checked the manual yet, but is it possible/easy to switch the Xenon headlights so I don't dazzle drivers when driving in Europe?

I'm off to France on Thurday, so would appreciate it if anyone has had experience of this.

Cheers.
Posted Image
2009 Audi S3 Sportback - Brilliant black

#2 dogbucket

dogbucket

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

http://www.golfgtifo...p?topic=51636.0
mk5 R32 DBP - with pretty much everything!

#3 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.golfgtifo...p?topic=51636.0

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers, doesn't look too difficult. Anyone here tried it?
Posted Image

#4 wantmygti

wantmygti

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

A guy on the golfgti forum followed it at the time and it worked fine and saved him a stack.
Shadow Blue 3dr Golf GTi, Xenons, Monza II, Ipod, Cruise, Folding mirrors, Lifeshine, Paint shield

#5 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

I created this PDF and yes it is easy to do.
You can see the levers if you look through the side of the light unit from the front.

Posted Image
MKV GTI - Bluefin Stage 2 :grin:

#6 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I created this PDF and yes it is easy to do.
You can see the levers if you look through the side of the light unit from the front.

Posted Image

[/ QUOTE ]

So I don't need to remove the bulb connector as indicated in the first tutorial?
Posted Image

#7 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

No. I was able to reach the lever by only removing the rubber cover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

#8 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I was able to reach the lever by only removing the rubber cover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, you've been a great help.

Thanks to everyone.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
Posted Image

#9 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

OK, I just had a go at switching the lights and it was all very easy. One thing worries me though...

I found that the right-hand switch was already in the DOWN position as expected, but the left-hand switch was in the UP position. Shouldn't they both be DOWN?
Posted Image

#10 RedRobin

RedRobin

Really quite racist...

• Members
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing worries me though...

I found that the right-hand switch was already in the DOWN position as expected, but the left-hand switch was in the UP position. Shouldn't they both be DOWN?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posted Image

[The late great Marty Feldman]

Attached Files

RED_Ring_tiny.jpg

#11 Metalex

Metalex

Transformer

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I just had a go at switching the lights and it was all very easy. One thing worries me though...

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Posted Image

#12 dogbucket

dogbucket

Volkswagen Golf GTi

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

I would check my car if I could, but I only have the old fashioned candle powered option.
mk5 R32 DBP - with pretty much everything!

#13 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check when I get home tonight.
When you say left side do you mean drivers side or left side looking from the front.

#14 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

Just checked mine and both are in the down position.

#15 jaysgti1

jaysgti1

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

ive changed mine twice now. first time in france i put levers down and on return journey 2 weeks later was getting flashed all the time. took to vw they said drivers side lever had come loose. just got back from germany and all worked well. easy to change on way over to france but on return to uk couldnt find drivers side lever again. am taking it in monday for them to look at. seems like they are a bit unreliable.
grey 3dr Golf GTI, MTM remap, AP 4 pots, Milltek sports exhaust and downpipe (quads), kw variant 3 coilovers, eibach ARB's. carbonio CAI, Morego front wishbones

#16 jaysgti1

jaysgti1

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 03:11 PM

just been phoned by dealers, said they cant feel the lever but can see it with a mirror. said it is in the correct position. they also said that they should not be adjusted while on the car as this will void the warrenty (as told by vw uk). They say they would have to remove the bumper and then remove then the light to change the settings
grey 3dr Golf GTI, MTM remap, AP 4 pots, Milltek sports exhaust and downpipe (quads), kw variant 3 coilovers, eibach ARB's. carbonio CAI, Morego front wishbones

#17 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they also said that they should not be adjusted while on the car as this will void the warrenty (as told by vw uk). They say they would have to remove the bumper and then remove then the light to change the settings

[/ QUOTE ]

Some dealers are so full of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dung.gif

It was my dealer who showed me how to do it in the first place after he had printed the instructions of from his computer. That is what I had included in the PDF.

#18 jaysgti1

jaysgti1

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

thanks mikemod. what do you suggest?
he showed me the original document and your doc. in the original doc it says to remove the light first. is this an updated version from vw do you think.

#19 mikemod

mikemod

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

I have seen that in ELSA where it says to remove the bumper and the light unit to access the lever.
The head tech guy at my dealers said this was only to make it easier to access the levers but they can be adjusted without this. It also means they can hit you with a large bill for doing the job.

I tried again tonight and can reach the levers with no problems on both sides, maybe I have long fingers.

If you are getting flashed maybe it is just the height of the beam that is the problem as a lot of people had to get them adjusted when new as they seem to come from the factory set too high.

I adjusted mine down slightly using the white plastic screws on the back of the light unit, again going from advice from the dealer.

#20 jaysgti1

jaysgti1

Ford Ka

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

thanks mike,
am not getting flashed. i could feel the levers with no problem on the way out but on the way back could only feel one. i think the lever has moved slightly which is why i took it to the stealers. last time the dealer said the clip had come off/loose. this time they only looked at it with a mirror and said it was ok.
just to check the lever is a very small metal clip.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users