1 Series, Ignition coil problems

sven_s

Hi,

I am driving a 2005 1 Series 2.0

So far (32.000km) the car was already 3 times in for repair of a defect ignition coil and a few times because of performance problems.

Just 1.000 km after the last service (31.000km) the low oil alarm came up. So I asked my dealer if that's ok and he referred me to the service plan: oil was changed at 25.000km. The workshop surely checked the oil level at the 31.000 service and I should just top up the oil...

So is this normal?! I am not a techie but so far none of my new cars showed such a defect history in such a short time.

I am getting under the impression that this car is not quite up to BMW's standard - anyone else with the same experience?!

I am trying to work out how much oil must have been used since the last 1.000km. I know that it takes 4.2 l to fill up from empty, but how many litres is the minimum level before the low oil alarm comes on? Does anyone know?

Greetings, Sven

Hi Welcome to Tyresmoke. beerchug.gif

Not heard about any problems with the 1 series like this before if could be that you have a Friday afternoon car. shocked.gif

Do you drive the car quite hard or just potter about. I know some engines do use a lot of oil but the manufactures will just say that its normal usage. confused.gif

Sven,

If I were you, I would top up the oil now, drive either 500 or 1000km and then top it up again, taking note of how much you use. If it takes 0.25l then I would repeat this a couple of times to keep my eye on it. If it takes any more than that to top up then there may be an issue.

While some people (and manufacturers) seem to think that anything up to 1.0l every 2000km or so is ok, I don't really agree - my Honda Civic Type R had a fairly highly strung engine and that only used 0.25-0.5l every 20,000 km or so.

Welcome BTW 169144-ok.gif

• 1 year later...

The E87 comes with an E-dipstick thanks to a thermal oil level/condition sensor. Top the oil up by 1 litre or so and see if your level of oil indicated on the instrument cluster (KM/REV, etc interface) shows any different. If not, then you have a failing sensor. How low is it showing the level of oil anyway?