Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpullen

Citroen Picasso revs to destruction

11 posts in this topic

I wonder if any of you can help.

My brother in law has (or rather had) a three and a half year old diesel Picasso which whilst at 70 lost power and started putting out white smoke. He stopped and the engine revved up to the limiter even without the keys in. After a few minutes the engine seized and that was the end of the engine.

I understand it may be something to do with the turbo? I wonder if anyone could give me more detailed reply and whether it's something Citroen might pay for?

Thanks

Jim

The turbo oil seal has failed, and all the engine oil which should be lubricating the turbo goes through the air intake system and into the engine where it gets burnt. The consequences are, all the oil disappears into the engine and gets used as an unmetered fuel supply (hence the engine revving its nuts off) and there's nothing left in the sump to lubricate the engine.

It's fecked, by the sound of things, and I doubt Citroen will pay for it.

Why didn't he put it into 4th gear, put his foot on the brake and stall it? frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why didn't he put it into 4th gear, put his foot on the brake and stall it? frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't think off that at the time confused.gif

But I will try and remember that for future referance laugh.gif

Interestingly, he had taken the car back to the dealer several times within warranty because it would suddenly lose power. Citroen are quite happy to take the car in and it's a good chance they will cough for the full replacement.

If they come good on this I will be very suprised and sing their praises.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't think off that at the time confused.gif

But I will try and remember that for future referance laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, cos I wasn't having a go. I know it's hard to think when things happen like that, but if it happens to you anytime (god forbid) maybe you'll remember what we talked about here.

I saw a vid on the web once of someones car which suffered a runaway engine, and the guy recorded it on his camera phone or something. Everyone was quick to point out that instead of saving the evidence of what was happening, he should've been saving his car. ROLLEY~14.GIF

Jim. I certainly hope Citroen sort this. If they've attended to it under warranty then there's hope.

Rustynuts, worry not it's good advice. He said it was 5 minutes or so before it went bang, but you know how it is with wife and kids by the side of the motorway you dont think too clearly!

It was sound advice Rusty...... cool.gif

and I have committed it to memory in case I ever come across it

I wasn't suggesting anything about your post 169144-ok.gif

I just don't know if I would have thought of that if I was in the same situation smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Rustynuts, worry not it's good advice. He said it was 5 minutes or so before it went bang, but you know how it is with wife and kids by the side of the motorway you dont think too clearly!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact thing that happened to my Laguna in October. Brand new engine i'm afraid.

Oh, and getting the wife and kids out (one was 4 weeks old) was a much higher priority than trying to stall the engine as i didnt know what was wrong at the time and i was expecting a huge bang EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

T

[/ QUOTE ]

We had an un-named racer at the dragstrip whose throttle stuck open at high speed and he wore two huge flat spots in the fron tyres. When he got back to the pits he was relating the sequence of events and how he kept banging the throttle to try and unjam it whilst standing on the brakes when he crew chief quietly said "didn't you turn the ignition off then?" Stunned silence followed by red face and laughter! jump.gifjump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

T

[/ QUOTE ]

We had an un-named racer at the dragstrip whose throttle stuck open at high speed and he wore two huge flat spots in the fron tyres. When he got back to the pits he was relating the sequence of events and how he kept banging the throttle to try and unjam it whilst standing on the brakes when he crew chief quietly said "didn't you turn the ignition off then?" Stunned silence followed by red face and laughter! jump.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't panic Cpt Mainwearing!

Just reading this, same happened to my brother's Megane dCi. Black smoke came out the back so he pulled over and the revs went wild. With the amazing new Renault keyless start, he was pressing the START/STOP and it was just revving it's nuts off and dumping the oil out the back. I had a noisy phone call along the lines of "What the 'uck do I do?!" and I told him to put his foot on the brake, put it in first and dump the clutch - which worked and he was lucky enough to only have to change the turbo etc, engine was ok apparently.

You're right about not thinking of the best thing to do right away, especially living your life being told not to stall, and 4th seems better than 1st too, but just wanted the engine stopped.