V-Power Diesel

Sponge

V-Power Diesel

Is anyone using it?

I don't know how long it's been out, or how widespread it is, but my local Shell had it today when I went to fill up so I thought, what the heck.

I was a little uncomfortable paying 99.9p instead of 93.9p but I thought the odd tank once in a while might do some good.

I obviously can't tell any difference yet and to be honest, I'm not sure I will. I tend to drive quite conservatively, with wife and child in tow, so there's not much opportunity to assess performance. But I'm hoping I might see an improvement in mpg. If so, then I'll need to work out if it's worth paying the extra or not.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to only use BP Ultimate Diesel in mine also, and although id love to say i can definitely feel a difference - i think if i was to really try to put my finger on it it would be a lot harder to do! wink.gif

I do have a feeling that i get slightly better mpg from it and it seems to run a tiny bit more smoothly... pretty sure the former is measurable if i was to really pay any attention however the latter could just be in the mind smile.gifsmile.gif

I average 60 litres at every fill, so it'll work out at £3.60 extra per tank, approximately every month. It doesn't sound much putting it that way. coffee.gif

My mpg varies all the time, so I think working out a difference and attributing it to the V-Power will be difficult unless it's a major one.

BP Ultimate is 104p a litre here - so I only buy it on special occasions (like payday.) My C3 runs more smoothly and quietly on it, but it's such an underpowered little slug anyway that I can't tell if it is any faster.

It is definitely happier pulling away in high gear/low revs on Ultimate - happy in 5th as low as 1,000rpm.

[ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I keep meaning to try it but can't seem to find v-power diesel when I need it smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Plan ahead Bazza! tongue.gif

The only place I shop is Shell, and with the 205 wolfing a tank every 250 miles, their garage locator online is in my favourites!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Addendum to above:

I've noticed more smoke (probably because I'm now looking for it) but it does appear to be cleaner. Not as black.

I've recently been away for the week and it involved a lot of driving. My mpg appears to be slightly better, but probably not enough to make up for the increased cost.

Responsiveness seems improved, but it could be in my head as I try to justify the extra cost.

Just started to find it available in my area, put a tank into my 144k A4 sport and it really made a difference, now whether that's because I'm using unicat as well I'm not sure, seems to be smoother with more grunt lower down the rev range, MPG seems better as well, 690 out of this tank before the warning came on, best I've got yet and that was 300 miles at 85+ the rest round town.

[ QUOTE ]

Just started to find it available in my area, put a tank into my 144k A4 sport and it really made a difference, now whether that's because I'm using unicat as well I'm not sure, seems to be smoother with more grunt lower down the rev range, MPG seems better as well, 690 out of this tank before the warning came on, best I've got yet and that was 300 miles at 85+ the rest round town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just filled up and done the maths - 52mpg as opposed to the usual 46 I get on tank to tank like that, works out cheaper wven with the 5ppl extra cost 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Not I'll use it every tank as its stupidly expensive tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I initially thought this. The idea of paying extra for something which could just be marketting/manufacturer BS was difficult for me. However, I fill up once a month. V-Power is 6p per litre more. So it works out about an extra £3.60 per month. It's not much, even less if I get an increase in my mpg too. smile.gif

I can't afford to get a re-map, so this is the closest I'll get to improving my car's performance. wink.gif

• 1 year later...