Exhaust fart when changing gear

stevepayne

Hello all not been on here for a long time. Car is approx 10 months old and coming up for 19,000 miles. Overall car has been very good - only had to call VW Assistance out once - found out it was a stone lodged in rear breaks (opps - but common problem im told - damm gravel driveways!). Just thought id ask if anyone else gets a lovely fart/pop from the exhaust when changing from 1-2 and 2-3. Ive got DSG and im guessing the pop is due to quick change when accelerating. Im sure all others do it too but it does sound great and has always done it. Also get the lovely whoosh from the turbo valve when come off the power. Enjoy driving with the windows down !

The whoose is more from the pressure release valve (cant remember what its called - not dump valve but im sure you know what I mean). Its not that loud but does make a nice sound when letting off the accelerator when the turbo pressure builds up. The 'fart' is more of a - well 'fart' noise :-) rather than a pop - pretty flat noise but does get a few looks from pedestrians round town which is nice. Im sure nothing is wrong and its probably just the throttle blip but does sound quite meety sometimes. Only noticable at higher revs from 1-2 and 2-3 - again in built up areas sounds nice. I should have grown out of these joys but think im remaining a kid at heart.

[ QUOTE ]

Just thought id ask if anyone else gets a lovely fart/pop from the exhaust when changing from 1-2 and 2-3. Ive got DSG and im guessing the pop is due to quick change when accelerating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think most people with DSG have commented on this grin.gif

With my car it is particularly noticeable when changing 3-4 and 4-5 under full acceleration and using the paddle shift 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm - no body else as far as I'm aware gets this 'woosh' noise, although many would like a slightly more vocal turbo I think grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody? I'm guessing all people here get the 'whoosh' noise - we all have the same engine. Get your ears syringed! tongue.gif

Seriously, wind down your window, accelerate hard in 2nd gear, and when the turbo pressure is building, lift off. You'll hear a little sneeze from the turbo.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm - no body else as far as I'm aware gets this 'woosh' noise, although many would like a slightly more vocal turbo I think grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....The only way to get the whooooshie noise is to fit a Forge Spacer, but imo it's not a natural sound for the 2.0T FSI engine to make and is likely to become irritating after the initial novelty of it.

However, after fitting the Carbonio intake which uses the engine cover's flat panel filter, sounds were slightly helped but hardly worth mentioning. Then after fitting the Neuspeed Hi-flow Discharge and Charge pipes recently, I can now hear the turbo spool and occasionally (according to conditions) the air intake and it's all very subtle but very very enjoyable. It sounds, and feels, as if the accelerator pedal is directly connected to the turbo 169144-ok.gif. I'm hearing these sounds with the windows up.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm aware DSG effectively 'blips' the throttle between changes but to me a 'pop' indicates that something may be not quite right here? Is is a fuel igniting in the exhaust sort of 'pop'? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Yes, I'm told you can get a fuel ignition pop but I've only experienced it a couple of times soon after I had my Milltek exhaust fitted.

With DSG, if you boot it suddenly hard to the floor (even in Manual), she'll drop a couple of gears and 'go like feck', making a very exciting phwack!! or pwopp!! as she goes. On my drive from the South of France yesterday on the autoroutes I found I would be going along at about the legal 130kmh max and leaving a good braking space in front of me among pods of traffic but some (usually Dutch and a Ford or Renault people carrier) arsehole would tailgate me very closely when I had no lane free to move to. I quickly learnt that my gradually slowing down and therefore slowing him down, and then booting it, he would be left waaaay back and I'd also hear that wonderful sound. Funny how they kept a distance from then on grin.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody? I'm guessing all people here get the 'whoosh' noise - we all have the same engine. Get your ears syringed! tongue.gif

Seriously, wind down your window, accelerate hard in 2nd gear, and when the turbo pressure is building, lift off. You'll hear a little sneeze from the turbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I generally don't have the windows down (too much road or wind noise) but also my Milltek probably covers up such sounds.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never driven it with the window down - thought climate control was standard on all GTI's confused.giftongue.gif I will have to wind down the window in true builder style and listen carefully. grin.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask if the pop noise is exagerated with an aftermarket exhaust, i love the noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Difficult to answer accurately without being able to make direct sound comparisons but it's certainly logical that an aftermarket exhaust such as Milltek will amplify anything that's there.

Maybe we should all have an Exhaust popping competition to see who is loudest. On a serious note its good to know that its meant to be doing it - I was sure it was just wanted confirmation. I think its a nice touch on a well rounded car. For a short while I considered changing the car (mainly due to the mileage im doing) but other cars just didnt feel so nice. DSG is fantastic (even with the sometimes small annoying aspects that you soon get used to). Its best of both worlds - auto for traffic jams and motorway driving with lots of lovely kick down for rapid overtaking - then manual for country lane blats. Well done VW

I do a fair few miles in mine 20k or so a year. People say why didn't I get the GT TDI. I'll tell you why not... Cos it's not as much fun!!! smile.gif

The GTI is a beautifully balanced car and if you drive it reasonably sensibly on long journeys you can still have moments of fun and average 30mpg.

I love the sound of the turbo spooling up and then the release of the air in 2nd gear. Got lots of 20mph roads around the estate I work on so just like you I get a childish pleasure in getting the car to make the sound...