[Audi A3/S3] Opinions on badgeless cars

mikebridges

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so go easy on me if I have novice questions!

Was wondering what peoples opinions on my badgeless 1998 A3 1.8T are. I bought it 4 months back and its great to drive but I find due to the fact that it looks like any other A3 (not modified in any way) no one really notices that its a turbo model. Also its a dark metallic green so it doesn't stand out. The only givaways are the turbo wheels and the black leather interior. Should I get the A3 and 1.8T badges for the back or is it best to stay badgeless?

Also don't some Audis have badges with a red T? Whats the difference.

Thanks

I think that the lack of badge is useful because no body knows what lurks under the bonnet.

Regarding the red letters, the Mk IV golf GTi without the turbo had GTi in silver and the turbo models had a red i.

This held up until there were shortages in the red letters as my turbo model has GTi all in silver letters.

Maybe the same for yout A3.

prt

Im a fan of the badgeless idea, although with Audi's I'd keep the model badge but remove the engine size badge. My 520d is de-badged, but thats simply because i think it cleans up the rear view

I still think that 0-60 in 8.6 for the smallest engine in the 5 series range is impressive, surprises some drivers

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree that most of the time, if I see a badgeless car like a beemer 3 series for example, I always assume its a 318 base model and not a 330. Maybe thats not such a bad thing. Inconspicuous all the way! All the boy racers in their Saxos and Corsas might get a nasty surprise when they race my 1.8T off the lights!

the_finger.gif

In the vast majority of cases, most people won't care what engine you have and those that do will be able to tell despite the badge.

Most of the time there are small tell-tales which will give the game away as to what engine is under the bonnet although, with the A3, as far as I know the 2.0T and 2.0TDI170 S-Lines are totally identical apart from the badge and can't be told apart - anyone know different?

[ QUOTE ]

In the vast majority of cases, most people won't care what engine you have and those that do will be able to tell despite the badge.

Most of the time there are small tell-tales which will give the game away as to what engine is under the bonnet although, with the A3, as far as I know the 2.0T and 2.0TDI170 S-Lines are totally identical apart from the badge and can't be told apart - anyone know different?

[/ QUOTE ]Do they not have different exhaust pipes?

No, the 170 has straight exhausts due to the DPF and I believe they're the same ones as the 2.0T has. You're right though, usually the exhausts are the dead giveaway for a diesel but, if these aren't down-turned I don't think there's any other tell-tale sign - other than the noise of course smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No, the 170 has straight exhausts due to the DPF and I believe they're the same ones as the 2.0T has. You're right though, usually the exhausts are the dead giveaway for a diesel but, if these aren't down-turned I don't think there's any other tell-tale sign - other than the noise of course smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I stand corrected beerchug.gif

I saw a black debadged S3 in Ibiza without the alloy mirrors and it just looked like a nice A3, only the flared arches and exposed exhausts give it away on an 8L. I heard of a quy who had a RS4 Avant(old shape) and put a 1.9TDi badge on the back, again, only flared arches, fcuk off discs and exposed exhaust pipes gave that away to the untrained eye. It's why I like Audi's really, nice and subtle! 169144-ok.gif