2003 Audi Allroad

Wallachie

Thinking of buying a used Allroad, Daz is the only member I know of that had one but I could do with some advice.

Swaying towards the diesel, manual. Need something for towing my jetski as I'm fed up getting my A4 layered on the beach. Is the Quattro system good enough to deal with wet and soft sand? Is it a proper 4x4 system?

What sort of economy would I get from the 2.7T?

and me!

Mine's a 2.5TDi Tiptronic but not towed with it, it's excellent 'off road' been on snow and deep mud and had no problems where some of the SUV 4x4's where struggling for grip, the standard Goodyear or Pirelli 'allroad' tyres are a good on/off road compromise. I get 29MPG from mine and I think the 2.7T is around 22MPG.

I have towed boats with a A6 2.5TDi Quattro which is essentially the same without air suspension and it didn't have any problems even on a slippery slip way!

Hope this helps

[ QUOTE ]

Chris_B's other half has one IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, although with two allroads on 'the fleet' now, it might get changed out for an A5, or possibly an S5.

Anyway, the 2.5 TDI allroad. The wife's car is a Tip as well, and it came with the Pirelli P6 'allroad' tyres. As Neil says, great in snow and mud, and no problems with traction (turning ASR/ESP off can help in very low traction as it doesn't rein in the engine when it detects spin). The quattro drive is full-time 4WD with a 50/50 front/rear split in normal conditions with something like a 75/25 maximum split when conditions require. There's no mechanical diff locks on each axle, but the ABS brake system is used to provide electronic locking by braking a slipping wheel, using the standard diff to transfer torque to the other wheel on the same axle.

We don't tow, but I know they make quite good towing cars because the air suspension adjusts to level the car out with a lot of rear weight.

Because it does a lot of short town journeys, the wife's average mpg is about 25, but it easily returns 30+ on a motorway cruise if you set it to it's lowest height. I used to have an A6 Avant 2.7T Quattro Sport a few years ago, and I think even with a bit of a lead foot, I used to get over 22 mpg on fast A roads, and over 25 on a motorway run.

Great cars if you do a bit of light offroading (300mm wading depth and 208mm ground clearance), and very capable and usable as a regular car when you're not.

I had one for about 2 years. 2.5TDI with an AmD remap that took it to 230bhp and a shed load of torque 169144-ok.gif

Don't contemplate the 2.7T - the economy is sub-20 (you'll get around 31 average from the TDI). The only things to watch for are the suspension control ECU (about £600 to replace plus labour) and tyre wear.

Bloody great car and I would have another one.

Best of luck 169144-ok.gif

Yes, it will go deeper than 30cm - I drove mine through a couple of deep rivers in Scotland about a week after I had it - Mrs Mook was none too happy, but you don't know until you try it, do you UHOH7.GIF

If you're reversing your trailer into the lake/whatever, just make sure you keep the engine running...

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, it will go deeper than 30cm - I drove mine through a couple of deep rivers in Scotland about a week after I had it

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the book figures are very conservative to protect Audi. I didn't dare take my new one through an unknown, but suspected 2ft deep, flood the other day - I think hydrolocking a 2 day old allroad playing in the floods would have been a bit embarrasing! grin.gif

Erm yes UHOH7.GIF

When they're fully jacked up, they're supposed to have more ground clearance than a Range Rover. Never checked, but they go up a hell of a long way!

The air filter intake feed is not directly behind the bumper, which is why I wasn't too worried about it.

Some people don't like them, but I really rate their offroad capability, having used mine in anger, erm, offroad 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

When they're fully jacked up, they're supposed to have more ground clearance than a Range Rover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Information culled from t'internet, so may be entirely inaccurate:

Land Rover 90/110/Disco 208mm

Disco 3 310mm

Range Rover 280mm

Q7 240mm

allroad (C5) 208mm

allroad (C6) 185mm (gah, silly Audi! Should be at least as high as the C5!)

Yeah I can concur with what's been said here, the Allroad is great car. Used to tow quite regularly with mine and it always performed superbly. I also had a 2.5Tdi Tip and it gives you a good mix of reasonable performance and economy. See if you can find one of the Limited Editions with the optional Recaro Seats 169144-ok.gif

Yes, very nice car indeed when it runs fine, but when something brakes down it's very costly to repair, probably only downside.

When I bought mine (year ago nearly)I was expecting better economy, 22mpg average within city on mixed roads, 30 mpg on highroads.

Air suspension started playing up recently frown.gif.