'NAV' function on Concert HU......

I have an Audi A3 with Concert CD/radio/CD changer and have recently bought a Garmin 670 satnav unit. I would like to 'integrate' the sound output into the car speakers.

I see that the HU has a NAV input, does anyone know how this works? ie interrupt radio or play over etc? does it need a signal to cut the sound as does the 'PHONE' input that I have connected to my handsfree set? will it play only on 1 or 2 speakers like the phone?

Ideally I would like to be able to listen to music as normal but have the satnav instructions (or MP3 player) interrupt/play over the HU music, I'm thinking (hoping) that this may be possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks beerchug.gif

Oh dung.gif I was hoping that I could use the Nav input either to speak over music or even mute it whilst speaking (like the phone) but through all the speakers (unlike phone) so that I could use the MP3 player.

I can use the FM transmitter side but then can't use the HU music whilst using satnav and I'm not convinced the music quality through FM is as good.

I wonder if I could somehow 'splice' it into the CD changer input or does anyone know any other 'trick'?

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The CD changer input expects a device that "understands" the serial comms protocol used by teh Audi changers, a simple audio device probably won't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my CD player is a Sony and has a 'black box' to enable the functions, however the audio is via simple AV (red & white) connectors, I was wondering if a splitter would allow shared access? (like the ipod kit?) although it would prevent me from using radio whilst hearing satnav? confused.gif

beerchug.gif

You could just splice into the drivers side front speaker after the head unit, this would then give you nav instructions over that speaker, if you wanted it to mute you would need to attach a mute lead to the same one you have your phone kit attached to, but I would just let them blend.

Just make sure you set the volume very low while you work out what level you want it at, the Garmin will be very low output and could blow the speaker if driven too hard.

[ QUOTE ]

You could just splice into the drivers side front speaker after the head unit, this would then give you nav instructions over that speaker, if you wanted it to mute you would need to attach a mute lead to the same one you have your phone kit attached to, but I would just let them blend.

Just make sure you set the volume very low while you work out what level you want it at, the Garmin will be very low output and could blow the speaker if driven too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wiring the outputs of the HU (or external amplifier) and the Garmin together at the speaker is not a good idea! You stand a good chance of destroying the audio amplifiers in the Garmin and/or the HU.

I wouldn't do that without some added protection. The output from the head unit is high powered and floats at around 7 volts. This could smoke up your Garmins' output or your Garmin might earth one of the head units outputs. Either way I wouldn't recommend it.

OK so having used the Garmin for a while, I'm quite impressed, not only with the SatNav but also the Bluetooth phone with phone book/text messages (and more) all available on screen with a decent sound quality and it seems to deal with Scamera detection OK, so it could replace my Roadpilot and Nokia 610 car kit.

However I would like to be able to play through the HU, if only so that it will 'interrupt' music like the Nokia does when the phone rings but it only has an audio out, which may well connect to the HU by the 'phone' input (front speakers only) but this needs a signal to switch between music and phone. The Garmin doesn't appear to have this, so does anyone know if there's some kind of 'mute' device that will switch the 'phone' input on the HU when the phone's in use or at least when there's sound at the Garmin's output?

beerchug.gif

That's what I was thinking, I do remember, back in the 'old days' some kind of 'mute' for carphones that could switch a relay or similar (to cut power to radio etc) when a phone was 'in use' but don't know how I could detect that the Garmin was 'in use' (ie speaking, phoning etc) unless there's some kind of output in the multi pin socket on the rear?

Need a Garmin expert...

beerchug.gif