Bought a ED30 today - a Few questions

nbetts

Hi, This is my 3rd MK V GTi Golf - this time an edition 30... smile.gif

I have a few questions.

The car I have bought privately has quite a good spec but it does not have a multi-function steering wheel - It does have the paddles for DSG -

Q. Can I retro-fit the MFSW? Or is it a case of the wiring loom is not there?

Secondly, It does not have NAV, and I am looking to fit Nav to the car - Now I can go and buy a third party head unit with DVD Nav or I can try and secure a OEM one and get that fitted. I know people on this site have done both so I would like your views on that...

I did hear that VW are thinking of going DVD/Touch Screen...?? Is this reality yet???

I should get the car today... looking forward to being back in a Vee-Dub...

Regards Nigel cool.gif

So is it only the OEM solution that integrates at all with the MFSW?

It would be interesting to see if the latest NAV system that VW have with 30GB of storage etc comes to the golf.

Any comments on whether the OEM VW solution is slow at all?

Thing I'm not sure about in general about car navigation is the map view - it's much easier to see and use a small portable satnav installed closer to your level of eyesight than looking down at a screen in the centre dash further away from the road.

Now i can finish the post as Tyresmoke is not slow and timing out and my comptuer is not taking a hissy fit and crashing.

The above system is availbale in the touran already by the price list on the VW uk website.

Heres a press release i posted a while back.

VW Latest Generation Radio-Navigation System

Source: Volkswagen AG 18-06-2007

Now available in Touran

Innovative RNS 510 unit combines modern navigation system with numerous multimedia functions

The latest generation of navigation devices is marked by simple operation and multiple functions. The RNS 510 radio navigation system is one unit that sets standards in these areas and is now available in the new Touran.

For the first time, the new unit can be operated easily and precisely using a touch screen. The additional control rows (hard and soft keys) using the piano key principle have been kept and enhance the user-friendly concept. The new system calculates routes in record time using a high-performance 750 MIPS (million instructions per seconds) processor and is capable of displaying multi-coloured maps in 16:9 format. An integrated 30 gigabyte hard drive is used to store navigation data and can also be used to save audio content. The high-resolution display on the electronic navigator is impressive in all areas. It displays maps, images and videos in brilliant screen quality. You can also display maps in a bird’s eye view as well as the familiar arrow icons in split-screen mode.

An integrated DVD drive allows you to play common CD formats like MP3 and WMA (Windows media audio) as well as play videos (only when vehicle is stationary). A Secure Digital card slot on the front of the unit allows you to access various "AUDIO" data formats. The modern radio module with four 20 Watt speakers and excellent sound and reception completes this high-end system. The RNS 510 is available as an option for the Touran at € 2,010.

[ QUOTE ]

Is it easy and comfortable to use whilst driving? as in looking at it to see where you are/are going is safe or easy or 'ergonomic'?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Regardless of whether a SatNav is OEM or aftermarket, I think it's much safer to mount the display at higher level so that the driver's peripheral vision out of the windscreen isn't reduced.

4_Alpina_Lyon.jpg

I like the look of that OEM one - a big issue for me is that when I move back to London later this year and the car is parked on the street, the only option is OEM, due to risk of theft.

The police have warned me that if I have an aftermarket sat nav system, then all traces need to be removed when leaving the car, because even a hint of a suction pad, or bracket of any type will result in a popped window and someone looking for it under the seat/in glovebox etc.

Here in Denmark I could leave my wallet on the seat with the window open and it would be there when I came back !

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Is it easy and comfortable to use whilst driving? as in looking at it to see where you are/are going is safe or easy or 'ergonomic'?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Regardless of whether a SatNav is OEM or aftermarket, I think it's much safer to mount the display at higher level so that the driver's peripheral vision out of the windscreen isn't reduced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - which is why even though the OEM RNS-510 looks so nice, it's a shame it is so low in the car. A small portable GPS unit might not have a big screen, features or good speakers, but it's easy to flick your eyes at.

I think mercedes in the new S got it almost right for teh driver, and the system in the bmw and astons where the screen flips up is ok too.

HOWEVER - what is good is if the RNS-510 interfaces with the MFSW so that you can see the 'turn indicators' on there on a navi page in the menus.