Polo 1.9Sdi

786cars

Hi guys, its my first post on this forum. I've just bought a VW diesel polo. I'm thinking of getting it serviced from a local garage/mechanic. I need some suggestions with the engine oil. Its my first diesel car and I don't really know what's the best engine oil for vw diesels. Also any suggestions on how a diesel car should be drived, if its any different than petrol!

Welcome to TSN, good to see another in the smoking corner beerchug.gif

How old is the Polo, either way I would have no problems using Mobil 1 for the oil changes - one of the best on the market.

Driving he diesel will be quite different from a petrol, first a diesel does not rev any where near it's petrol brethren, your Sdi may well have quite a bit of torque as well.... which is also a good thing.

Part of getting the best of of your diesel is changing up through the gears at maximum torque not maximum revs.

You will have to find this yourself - always good fun.

Fel free to wind up the petrolheads on TSN. jump.gif

thanks for the reply, its an R reg 97 and its got 110k on the clock (one owner though). Sorry mate I don't understand the difference between revs and torque. I used to think they are the same. I'm good at computers but not that good when it comes to cars but I'm dying to learn as much as I can swallow smile.gif

Keep the revs between 2,000 and 4,000 (or whatever works best) - the point is that unlike a petrol, it won't pull harder at higher revs, but instead it has a 'hump' of peak performance in the middle of the rev dial, when it will pull hardest - and then the performance will fall off quite quickly if you keep your foot on the accelerator but don't change up gears. So you need to change gears more (to put it crudely). The positive thing is that it will pull much more strongly at low revs than a petrol, so around town it will feel very zippy if you get the gears right.