Koni-FSD, Eibach Springs, H&R Anti-Roll Bars

WhiteJames

2006 Golf GTI suspension upgraded in 3 stages:

Stage 1: Koni-FSD fitted.

By far the bigest and best addition to my GTI. Both ride and handling improved beyond expectations. Koni-FSD definetly firmer than stock items on smooth flat surfaces. Koni-FSD valved slight softer than Koni-Sport set on soft setting, but still much firmer then stock items. The choppiness at low speed and bounceness at higher speed eliminated. Less body roll and less wheel spin in tight corners. Confidence to throw GTI around hard in corner greatly improved. Negatives: Koni-FSD valved a little too firm for stock springs. On freeway/motorway, can feel some of the minor road undulations. Also Koni-FSD higher pressure rear gas dampers raised the rear 5-10mm. Ended up changing springs.

Stage 2: Eibach Pro-Kit Spings

Dropped front 20mm and rear 12-14mm. Eibach progressive rate springs work much better with KONI-FSD than stock items. Ride improved and less body roll. Negatives: Front springs much louder than stock springs. I had sleeves put on front springs. Now spring slap noise less noticeable. Noise consisted of a crashing metallic sound. Other minus is that standard bars don't work as well with Eibach/Koni-FSD set-up.

Stage 3: H&R (26mm/22mm) Anti-Roll Bars.

I went with H&R instead of Eibach as H&R have teflon bushes that are quieter and never need oiling. Eibach have polyurathene bushes that may squeak and require constant oiling. H&R Bars 2mm bigger at front; Rear is the same size as original, only H&R bar is solid (not hollow). Bars tied down GTI. Ride much more secure. Single wheel bumps/pot holes more noticeable, only marginally. Everything now happens faster. Much roll roll eliminated. Before it took the first part of the corner for the progressive Eibach Pro-Kit to settle down to a hard spring rate, then launching out of corner. Now the handling more fluid with a more race-car sharpness.

Overall: Ride at low speed is firmer as opposed to stock set-up which was choppy (due to softer damping). Ride at med to high speed is still better (softer/plusher on rough roads) than stock GTI set-up. Car rolls a whole lot less around roundabouts. Everything happens a lot faster, especially driving around tight switchbacks. Really tests your reflexes. Overall money well spent. KONI-FSD will work with stock springs & bars, as brochure says, but not ideally. Yes, 3 stage set-up cost me a bit more in labour cost, but it was an ongoing learning experience in suspension tech. The rear of the car is still settling, and will hopefully settle up to 5mm more which should result in 20mm front drop and 16-18mm drop at rear, which will look perfect. Tyres are now working more evenly, rather than excessively working the side walls (17inch monza) and chewing them out. Less tyre screech/squeal is heard (almost none). Money well spent.

Question: Like to know if anyone is running a KONI-FSD - H&R OEM Sport Spring - Eibach/H&R Bars as a comparision. H&R springs usually slightly firmer. KONI-FSD will not work with Eibach Sportline or H&R Sports springs. Springs too low for dampers.

Cheers.

White James - Sydney, Australia.

I've just got the Eibach ARB's. I didn't realise at the time about the bushes needing greasing on them else they'd squeek otherwise I'd have gone for the H&R ones no doubt. Getting them fitted this weekend.

Good to hear about your experience with the FSD's/Pro springs. I'll be looking at a similar setup in the future but I'm restricted by the amount of lowering I can do.

Do you know if the sound of the front springs is common with the FSD combo?

Thanks for sharing.

Koni-FSD - Eibach ProKit - H&R Anti-Roll Bars:

In response to the spring slapping. It has nothing to do with the dampers. Typically, progressive rate coil springs will involve some slapping. Why? If you look at the spring, the coils on the bottom have a wider gap. The coils in the top half of the spring have very little gap betwee coils. When the lower (wider-gap) coil compress, they hit the short (narrow-gap) top coils. This is what causes the spring slapping. My suspension guy says that it is common with progressive rate springs, although some more than others. Similar complaints with new vehicles such as the Holden-HSV Commodore GTS/Opeal VXR8 with Eibach springs & magnatec dampers. Basically, progressive rate springs top section act as a filler so the springs don't pop out. Only hear the noise on pot holes, however, when driving out my driveway, you could hear a slight scrapping sound. This is the spring at the junction of the tall/short coils. Most race cars have std springs. Progressive give you that intial compliance for a better ride. Not a big compromise.

White James - Sydney, Australia.

H&R Anti-Roll bars:

Yes. They a 2 X adjustable. Mine are on the softest setting which is fine for medium to fast driving. If you drive hill-climbs or around tight winding roads, I would suggest the front bar on soft and rear on hard - better turn at slow to low speed corners. Some go for the rear bar only, but this may not help front end turn-in. Better to purchase both bars as a package.

KONI-FSD alone will reduce understeer considerable. ProKit springs marginally better improvement for understeer. Bars further reduce understeer, but generally make your responses quicker and the car more agile to change direction. Lift off in roundabouts and switchbacks a lot less common with Koni-FSD, Eibach ProKit, H&R anti roll set up.

The sleeving of the front springs involves puting some form of plastic/rubber around the coil so when the metals compress together, they push against the rubber, reducing noise.

Koni-FSD - Eibach ProKit - H&R Anti Roll Bars:

Golf GTI - Mark V

A little more on driving dynamics with each stage set-up:

Standard Golf GTI suspension:

Sachs dampers/24mm solid front bar & 22mm hollow rear bar:

Found suspension slightly less focused than vehicles specifically calibrated to suit the poor Australian roadway conditions. Ride a lower speeds choppy due to lack of damping force to maintain better ride. Engineers were able to tune dampers softer due to multi-link rear which allows for a greater degree of set-up than torsion-beam set-up. Ride in mid-range OK. Ride at faster higher speeds a little bouncey and not quite tied down (again soft damping). Found on rougher B-grade roads (remember that Aussie B-grade roads are a lot worse than European/UK equivalent) was a little punishing. Would avoid pot holes and sunken sections of roadway like the plague. Tended to slow vehicle on rougher roads to preserve my tooth fillings & kidneys. Hard driving resulted in understeer with front outside falling over itself and chewing out the front outside of the tyre due to chamber change mid-corner. Check any std GTI and after any hard driving and you'll see. Positive of the std OEM was that GTI was throttle adjustable front to rear mid-corner which did make it fun at times, up to 9/10ths driving. Found on longer sweepers that I was constantly having stabs at the steering wheel to fight the understeer. Front inside wheel would spin easily on tight corners, especially up-hill, compared to other vehicles tuned for Oz conditions, I found that I was lifting off mid-corner to compensate for the front-drive understeer. Driving hard and fast was at times tiresome. There had to be better set-up for Aussie conditions, which have some of the worse roads in the world, with Sydney being officially the worst for roadways.

Stage 1: KONI-FSD (14,000km)

Had my heart set on a set of Bilstein Sports shocks. Koni-Sports were adjustable at the front by a twist of a hand, but rears for Mark V - GTI had to be removed at the bottom to change rebound setting. Too much messing around. Enter KONI-FSD. New product in Oz. Too the gamble on a new product thanks to this and other websites.

KONI-FSD removed much of the constant stabbing at the steering wheel to fight understeer on fast sweepers. Going from two hands on wheel to one palm. Corners become more fluid. The dampers feel like they move about 1 inch, then hold the vehicle like someone has rammed a wedge into your suspension. It's a surreal feeling. Understeer reduced at all speeds. Driving over sections of patchwork tar on one side of the roadway did not unsettle the GTI as only one side of the KONI-FSD would soften up to absorb the undulations, keeping the car straight. Inside front wheel less prone to break out into wheels sping in tight corners, with ESC cutting in only half the time and less abruptly. KONI-FSD internal valve feels that it doesn't open until you hit speeds of about 50kph. They feel locked into place at lower speeds, unless you hit a major pot-hole. As speeds rise and you hit the patchwork/bump/pot hole with more force and intensity, the internal valve opens up, softening the damper to absorb the impact. The softer damping is not as soft as a standard Golf Comfortline, but about 10-15% softer than OEM Sachs dampers. At their stiffest, I would say KONI-FSD about 15% stiffer than OEM shocks. Bilstein sport dampers are 25% and in my opinion would definitely be too firm for stock springs/bars. Measuring my GTI prior to inclusion of KONI-FSD showed that the left rear sat 5mm higher than right rear. May be due to camber in roadway, panel-fit, multilink cast or unsymmetical floorplan (my GTI South African sourced as are all down under). KONI-FSD did not change front ride height. The right rear moved up 5mm and the left rear moved up 9mm (it was already 5mm higher than other side). The car did settle down. Generally most dampers will settle to within 5mm of original ride height. The apparent reason for lift at rear with KONI FSD is that the rear shocks are higher pressure items that push the front down. Found with stock items that 4 persons in car, taking off at even slow speed result is rearward weight shift, causing front to spin on uphill grades. KONI-FSD, I believe, try to eliminate this by keeping the front more securely planted. KONI-FSD are expensive (especially in Australia), but worth the money for frequently driven road-vehicles. I became inpatient with the rear end settling downwards so looked at springs for stage - 2.

Stage 2: Eibach ProKit Springs (16,000km)

Very difficult choice as to Eibach ProKit or H&R OEM Sports Springs. Went for Eibach as this brand appears (1) To have a product sharing and research agreement with KONI; (2) Eibach generally a tad softer than H&R and ProKit appeared to lower vehcile 5mm more than H&R, according to websites. Both are progressive rate springs and are of exceptional quality. R32 Golf has H&R springs as factory item.

Found with the KONI FSD/Eibach Pro Kit and stock bars handling characteristics similar to stock. Ride was better (suprisingly) and more comfortable. Eibach a much more fitting item for KONI-FSD as both may of been developed in conjunction with each other. The car was still adjustable mid-corner front to rear with a touch of the throttle. Car still moved around a bit when pressed, especially at higher speeds. Found that due to their progressive nature, took the first half of the corner for ProKit to settle into a firmer spring rate (soft-hard). Once at apex, the springs would firm up and hold the car, launching you out of corner. Had to make compensation for this with GTI behaving as a different handling car from corner entry to exit. Felt that set-up could be further improved with bars. Lower of centre of gravity obviously helped, with car fun to slide and handling threashold higher. Wheel-spin on tight corners further reduced. With 4-5 occupants in the Golf, the standard springs softened up a bit, giving better ride. Now extra weight pushes Eibach Springs into their firmer zone, so regardless of load, springs compensate. I would say that Eibach are about 10-15% stiffer than stock items (hard to measure as progressive springs are not linear). Emergency stops will only yield about 1 inch drop in front pitch, a lot less than stock springs. Stock springs with KONI-FSD felt like having shoes with shoe-laces not fully tied-up. Eibach tied them up for me. Even with Eibach/ KONI FSD set-up, I was still unhappy and looked at the bars to complete my package (I have stock 17inch monzas on Contis).

Stage 3: H&R Anti Roll Bars (18,500km)

H&R are a well known brand in Europe and USA, but not Australia. Everything H&R is made in Germany. They have two types of ARB packages (26mm/22mm & 28mm/24mm). Apparently you cannot mix and match as they come in pairs (Eibach have just one set 26mm/23mm). The smaller bars on their firmest setting are apparently softer than the harder H&R bars on their softest setting. Harder bars may be more likely a better fit for the full-on sports set-up, occassional track work vehicle. Both bars come with no need to oil teflon bushes.

My H&R bars are on the softest setting. Driving on very smooth roads I think that maybe I could adjust them to the harder setting. Driving on rougher roads, I think, no, they are heavy enough. Depends on what sort of roads you drive on. On downhill tight winding roads, the rear bar bar only may be put on the harder setting to improve turn-in. The H&R are quiet in operation, and feels as if they have added weight (like a magnet) to the suspension. The stock bars were just not strong enough for the uprated KONI FSD / Eibach set-up. Stock bars felt as if they lost some of their effectiveness to control body sway. They worked fine with stock springs though. Bars have added another dimension - like going from a blunt knife to a sharper knife. The swaying and throttle adjustability has been reduced, so the car is not as fun to balance mid-corner or move around from front to rear. GTI is now more focussed. Corners are taken with more ease and less thought. Pushing harder, car will understeer (it is a fwd), but handling limits and threashold is much higher. On the limit the car is a little less forgiving, but finding those limits now really takes some courage. Cornering speeds and the ease in which the car handles those corners is astonishing. It was impressive as a stock GTI, now it is at an entirely different (higher) level. GTI has a more race car handling feel about it, perhaps similar to the new Honda Type-R Civic, but with improved ride in most areas, except slow city traffic where bumps, pot holes have become more noticeable. The movement is not so much greater, it just happens quicker from the up-down transition, keeping the car planted to the ground. Had a slight camber change to the front wheels which will further reduce outside tyre scrub, although bars should largely be responsible for working the tyre more evenly.

All the products mentioned are or exceptional value. Next car I own I may look at the KONI-FSD with H&R spring & bar set up purely as a comparison with the Eibach ProKit.

I bought the car to go around corners, which is what I love to do. Read any article on the Lamborgini Gallardo and the journo's will tell you that they find it difficult to fathom how a well handling vehcile can 'ride' so well. I guess I have a similar set as a Lamborigini, at least that's what I tell all my friends. Lamborgini handling at a Golf GTI price. Cheers.

WhiteJames

Sydney, Australia.

A Warm Welcome to Tyresmoke, WhiteJames 169144-ok.gif. Your post has presented far more in-depth info than my previous reports - I have KoniFSD + Eibach ProKit + Eibach Anti-roll bars and have had this setup for over 30,000 miles. I've just come back from a Europe trip covering nearly 3,000 miles and mostly in Germany both on very fast autobahns and country twisties in Bavaria and the Alps. Coming back today through Belgium and Holland (gotta be the worst drivers in Europe!) I had to very quickly and suddenly change lanes more than once and even with 3 people and full of luggage, my car stayed very flatly planted.

I've yet to experience any need to lube my Eibach bushes.

The other component which makes a big difference to handling is the tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1's are excellent in all weathers. Also the brakes - but that's another subject! grin.gif.

Thanks for the good reviews. I feel a sense of duty to share my suspension tech knowledge with you all, given that this website has helped me fine tune my Golf GTI handling with Koni FSD - Eibach ProKit - H&R Anti Roll Bars.

I haven't put my car onto the track yet. Maybe, in near future, I may take vehicle about 2hrs south of Sydney to a short and twisty track (2.2km) called Wakefield Park. This track is available for private hire to groups of persons. My workmate has a clubman race car. He uses this track as a test centre.

Problem with track days is that the standard road tyres are only good for 3 laps, apparently. Any more and the tread overheats. It would be like tearing up dollars. Generally you would do one warm-up lap, 3 hot laps, one cool down lap. Better to have a second set of cheap wheels with semi-slick race tyres for track days, should budget allow.

I live near Cronulla, on the Southern Coast of Sydney. Nearby is the National Park, with plenty of winding roads around mountainous country. People from all over Sydney come down on weekends, pay money to enter park to sample the roads in their cars/bikes (bikers are crazy). Also, about one hour drive away, inland from the City of Wollongong, is Kangaroo Valley. Think of steep, semi-tropical mountainous cliffs with roads snaking up and over. Some of the corners in this valley are only rated at 15km (9 miles). 180 degree hairpins with little room for error. Roads that the GTI is built for.

My White VW GTI Mark V with DSG and Leather. Apart from suspension and K&N air filter, vehicle is stock.

K&N air filter - as stated on this website before - may make a slight diference to power, but it is barely noticeable. I agree with the slightly more throaty and lounder induction noise, as stated by others.

I would't rule out a Carbonio or K&N cold air intake system. Suit hot Australian climate. K&N website reckon their aluminium CAI makes good gains in power. Problem with Carbonio carbon-fibre CAI is that it costs twice as much in Oz ($600) as in the USA ($280USD). Expensive. Carbonio sole distributor is APR. Don't think I will mess with the ECU, but later an APR exhuast would be good.

As for tyres, www.wheelsmag.com.au (see website) did a tyre test using a Holden Commodore SS V8 (18inch) & VW Golf 2.0 Diesel (16inch). Goodyear performed exceptionally well on the bigger car with lower profile tyre. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx also rated very well for the 16 inch tyre (best all rounder). Both cost the same.

I would anticipate either Eagle F1 or SP Sport Maxx next tyre change. Difficult decision.

As for brakes (front disk change). I have my heart set on Brembo disks, same size as orginal, but drilled (only because I like the look) with pagid pads on standard calipers. Budget doesn't allow for full brembo set-up - disks/calipers/lines etc (I wish).

Rear of my GTI is settling more quicly now as the stiffer springs in conjunction with the stiffer bars are working the Koni-FSD dampers harder, as they should be.

Cheers.

White James

Sydney, Australia.

WhiteJames,

Can certainly recommend the Goodyear Eagles. I moved to them about 12 onthsago when I went from 17's to 18's. They have been great.

Lucky you live near such great roads. Not so well catered for here in Melbourne.

What sort of money are we talking for the suspension upgrade? I had previously thought about it, when Red Robin did his mod but at the time the Koni's weren't available here. Kind of slipped of the 'to do' for a while since. Now beginning to re-consider.

Cost of suspension upgrade (Australian Dollars):

Koni-FSD: $1,350.00 + fitting

Eibach ProKit: $ 605.00 + fitting

H&R ARB Kit: $ 890.00 + fitting

Alternatively,

H&R OEM Sport Springs: $625.00

Eibach ARB Kit: $1,045.00

Cheaper to do the whole lot at once.

Shocks and/or springs install: $300-$400 depending on city (Same time in labour whether you do just springs or both).

ARB install: $250-$350 depending on your location.

Koni-FSD are more expensive than Bilstein ($1150) and Koni-Sport. But they are worth it. You get the best of both worlds.

I would do the whole lot at once and save on labour cost. Labour should be about $450-$550 for the whole deal (Dampers/Springs/ARB).

You will not be disapointed with the final result. Ride better, roll & sway eliminated. Sits nice and flat.

Eibach easy to source in Australia.

H&R not so well known. If you have trouble sourcing H&R products in Victoria (no Aussie website - email David Falson at www.eastcoastsuspension.com.au (Auto City - Kirawee - NSW)). He has a direct import arrangement with H&R. David specialises in Porsches and prepares a few GT3 Carrera Race cars. That's how he come to be a H&R specialist amoungst other brands. He recommends only German products for German cars (Eibach/H&R)- Don't bother with the Aussie stuff he says. Good for Holden/Ford - but not VW/Porsche/Audi/BMW etc.

Eibach Australia Distribution HQ is at Mona Vale, NSW (Northern Suburbs of Sydney). Always plenty of Eibach ProKit Springs in stock; but Eibach usually stock only one set of Eibach ARB at any one time.

H&R ARB would be directly order from Germany (Air-Frieght to East Coast Suspension) and may take up to 2 months.

Whiteline bars are a lot cheaper, but they only make a rear bar ($220-$250). Rear bar will help turn-in & understeer, but not improve steering response.

H&R have an American & German website (www.h&r.com for USA and h-r.com for Germany). Note that when on the USA website, the Golf GTI's by law are 10mm higher than Aussie & European GTI's. Applicable when working out how much each will lower your vehcile.

Spoke to Derreck from AutoTek in Mona Vale. He is an APR distributor for APR. He says better to go with the ECU upgrade rather than a Carbonio Cold Air Intake. Dollars wise, ECU a lot more effective. Not sure whether my DSG will stand up long-term to 400nm torque (188kW) via front wheels. Do you have problems with traction, especially in first and second gear?

Limited slip diff about $3,000 fitted (AutoTek).

Cheers.

White James

Sydney, Australia.

[ QUOTE ]

He is an APR distributor for APR. He says better to go with the ECU upgrade rather than a Carbonio Cold Air Intake. Dollars wise, ECU a lot more effective. Not sure whether my DSG will stand up long-term to 400nm torque (188kW) via front wheels. Do you have problems with traction, especially in first and second gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

....Yes, a remapped ECU gives you more return for your money but an aftermarket air intake may help in other ways.

My Revo Stage1 gives approx 300 ft lb / 406 Nm and I find that the DSG actually feels smoother and that my revs rarely need to go above 5,500. In over 2,000 miles in Europe in all sorts of road conditions I didn't spin the wheels even once. It's a matter of being throttle sensitive. My mods have made the throttle very responsive and so I take extra care - A good habit imo.

Modded suspension and good tyres also assist traction.

Thanks WhiteJames,

Plenty to think about here.

It was the Koni's that weren't readily available when I looked into it last time - more than a year ago now.

I agree about keeping the car German and certainly wouldn't consider local suspension parts for the GTI.

I'll again give this some thought....

On the APR ECU package. I've had the APR now for just short of a year - probably about 9,000km. I think it excellent. Yes, the front end grip can become a bit o an ssue in the wet but you just ease back. The power delivery is very liner so there are no traps really. I guess you could always reset th ECU to standard if you wnated during periods of low grip.

I think the upgrade - apart ofr the additional power has also helped smooth the performnce through the DSG. It just seems to be a bit smoother all round- especially on light throttle where my car used to be a bit unsure of whwther it was going up or down a gear at times. I looked at three upgrades but settled on APR because it seemed the best of those available at the time. Plus the Melbourne agent had a really good reputation.

So in short I have no problems with the ECU upgrade - only praise though you can comprommise front end grip if you really want to. I think it enhances the basic GTI package.

Thanks again for your info.

In regards to the APR - ECU:

How does the ECU upgrade affect your fuel consumption in the following conditions:

(1) City driving (hard & fast / slow & easy)

(2) Country driving (hard & fast / cruising)

Stock Golf in Sydney averages about 10.0/100km (city).

Best country figure I've managed is 6.6/100km.

Would APR ECU drink more or less, generally.

I've heard of reports with other makes (WRX) of vehicles that their cars can really go through the juice with ECU upgrades. I guess depends on type of ECu upgrade and if your strapping it all day everyday.

Cheers.

White James

Sydney, Australia.

Obviously Oz can answer you more specifically on the APR, but generally the use of more power = more fuel consumption. You'd have to drive without using the extra performance available in order to gain fuel consumption - But then what would be the point of the remap 'upgrade'?

I have read others saying that fuel consumption is improved but I don't understand it.

I expect that others here would agree that just because you've got the extra performance available it doesn't mean that you are always using it. You'll probably use it more when you first have it because you need to explore and enjoy it.

WhiteJames,

I think Red's summary is a pretty fair one. More power = higher fuel use. At least when that additional power is used.

Typically the computer is telling me that consumption in the city is 10.something. I don't think I have ever been as low as 10.0 but a 10.4 to 11.0 result is typical. (I live in the inner city so most of my driving is stop/start).

On trips I can get as low as 7.something but never as low as the 6.6 you quote.

Based o this rather unscientific assessment I guess my consumption is around 10% higher than your best. Might be the driving conditions or my driving style but the ECU is going to have some impact I'm sure.

OzGTI,

How did you manage to have 18 inch Monzas on your GTI. They were not a factory option in 2006 in Oz. Would of optioned them up if they were available. I agree they look the business. Most other hot-hatches are on 18-19's now. Two of my 17's have kerbing to them already - damn.

Cheers

White James

Sydney, Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Measurements taken throughout the process (notwithstanding fuel tank level which may vary 1-2mm):

Koni FSD alone:

Front: unchanged

Rear : L + 9mm & R + 5mm

Eibach ProKit alone:

Front: -20mm

Rear : -14mm

Eibach + Koni FSD end result (after 5,000km):

Front: -20mm

Rear : L - 5mm & R -8mm

I noticed in Red Robins article that his GTI lowered 5-10mm. Cannot explain why mine lowered more.

Eibach website states that springs will lower 10-15mm for Oz/European GTI's and 25mm (1 inch) for USA GTI's as USA by law have to sit 10mm higher than Euro/Oz GTI's. My Eibach ProKit definitely from Germany (not USA).

From my pictures, you can see the front has dropped more than rear. Though front on stock GTI sits about 10mm too high relative to rear.

Maybe that Koni-FSD front dampers are lower pressure gas/Rear are higher pressure gas - so I've been told.

Cheers

White James

Sydney, Australia