R8 10k OVERLIST !

6ssk

Hi I bought an R8 for 10k over list, its coming early November and I starting to get a bit concerned. Should I try and sell it and get back what I paid or just keep it and see how the depreciation goes?

This is the spec

AUDI R8 – Manual

Ice Silver Metallic

Carbon Sigma Side blades

Stainless Steel Pedals

Audi Magnetic Ride

Sat Nav System Plus

Bang & Olufsen Sound

6 CD Auto-changer

GSM Bluetooth Phone Prep.

Heated Seats

Electric Seats

Acoustic Parking System

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Hi I bought an R8 for 10k over list, its coming early November and I starting to get a bit concerned. Should I try and sell it and get back what I paid or just keep it and see how the depreciation goes?

This is the spec

AUDI R8 – Manual

Ice Silver Metallic

Carbon Sigma Side blades

Stainless Steel Pedals

Audi Magnetic Ride

Sat Nav System Plus

Bang & Olufsen Sound

6 CD Auto-changer

GSM Bluetooth Phone Prep.

Heated Seats

Electric Seats

Acoustic Parking System

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Gareth is the local expert on this and will be able to give you some more informed advice, however...........

I think you are in a difficult position and think will end up losing a heap of money, whenever you sell.

I had a deposit on an R8 which would have been a 2007 car - I cancelled, as I was concerned about the high list price (relative to the established competition from Porsche, which I currently own) and likely residuals.

Lease costs are significantly higher than for the Porsche, which does imply that after the brief 'honeymoon' period for launch, residuals may be dissapointing.

In my opinion, paying £10k+ over list for one of the first cars - July delivery - would have been 'brave'. Paying that much over lunch for car that won't appear until towards the end of the year is likely to be an expensive mistake, in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong.

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

10K over list on any car is silly - but guess you really wanted it. Not sure how you can worry about depreciation if you paid over list. Even if it doesn't depreciate, you've lost 10K before you drive it! crazy.gif

As it turns out though, it handles far better than anyone had really expected - its a fantastic car - so why sell?

Can you get your deposit back ? As above i would think you've lost £10000 already. Personally i think after 3-6 months of owning it you would lose another £10000/£15000.

Its only money and it you loved the car so much to pay £10000 over list for it and you can afford to spend that amount of money on an Audi, don't worry just enjoy it.

If you can't try getting your deposit back asap..

no its not a joke! I have seen these cars going for over 100k. People pay for what they want - I couldnt get one one when I wanted it so I paid more to get it. Now Im sure with the waiting list and supply not meeting demand these cars should remain high priced for a year I would say.

I was just thinking of selling and asking people opions that was all.

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen these cars going for over 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean you have seen desperate speculators asking over £100k for these cars or actual sales at these (stupid) prices ?

smashfreakB.gif

FWIW, I reckon you should be able to sell the car for list when you get it i.e. an immediate £10k loss.

Alternatively, I guess you would be looking at list minus £10k-£15k after 1 year and list minus £20-£25k after 2 years.

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

The new 997 GT3 is just as easy to drive as a normal 997 ( bar the low ride height). I cannot understand why anyone would spend so much on an R8, but thats just me .

I managed to get about £4000+ when i sold my 997 GT3. I would of loved to get £10000 over list but not one dealer ( Tom Hartley etc) wanted to offer near that. Most wanted to just have it on SOR.

The R8 looks really nice but £80000 for a Audi is a joke IMO. Higer interest rates coming again and this baby will drop fast!

If you wanted it so bad then so what, go and enjoy it and forget about it.

They have one at Birmingham Audi for sale at £98k.

They have grown on me, but I need a 997, I couldnt pay that much for an Audi. I will be interested to see how it goes when market forces come into play as the moment the supply is so limited Audi can dictate prices. I do think its a bit checky a dealer seeling a car over list, but I suppose its Audi's way of showing potential customers that they are investing in a car rather than buying one.

I really think Audi have missed a trick here if they could of got the price with decent options around the £65k mark then it would of definatly been a better option for me and a host of other people than the 997.

well i really think im going to keep mine any way. I like it so much I would have paid paid 15k over list! Just posted to see if any one else would. obviously they think im stupid but I like the car, best handling car I have ever driven not the quickest straight line but very very good in the corners, flattest car I have ever driven.

Going to keep my f430 and wait till my 599 arrives then sells both I think. Paid over list for the 599 BTW.

I think you have made a mistake cancelling your order for the R8. After reading the posts on here I think this car will remain a strong seller for a few years!

[ QUOTE ]

The new 997 GT3 is just as easy to drive as a normal 997 ( bar the low ride height). I cannot understand why anyone would spend so much on an R8, but thats just me .

I managed to get about £4000+ when i sold my 997 GT3. I would of loved to get £10000 over list but not one dealer ( Tom Hartley etc) wanted to offer near that. Most wanted to just have it on SOR.

The R8 looks really nice but £80000 for a Audi is a joke IMO. Higer interest rates coming again and this baby will drop fast!

If you wanted it so bad then so what, go and enjoy it and forget about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people would argue that the R8 looks like a more special car than the Gt3. As said, saw one on Friday night and was blown away by it. If it had more power I would consider stretching to £80k for the car, but most people arnt like me and would be very happy. If the CSL dosent come out - in a year if these things drop a bit I would love to pick one up!

[ QUOTE ]

They have grown on me, but I need a 997, I couldnt pay that much for an Audi. I will be interested to see how it goes when market forces come into play as the moment the supply is so limited Audi can dictate prices. I do think its a bit checky a dealer seeling a car over list, but I suppose its Audi's way of showing potential customers that they are investing in a car rather than buying one.

I really think Audi have missed a trick here if they could of got the price with decent options around the £65k mark then it would of definatly been a better option for me and a host of other people than the 997.

[/ QUOTE ]

I amazed. I dint think main dealers were allowed to sell these cars over list if they are new. I thought the rule was only an ex demo could be sold over list as then it is a used car.

Looking in the Sunday Times today I can see there are a few cars avalible all around £100k. The best audi ever IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]

Going to keep my f430 and wait till my 599 arrives then sells both I think. Paid over list for the 599 BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

What so keep the 599 and sell the F430 and R8? Think thats what I would do. 599 is a great car, just needs to be lowered slightly, wear some corsas and get a tubi. For what it is, it a very subtle car.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont dispute the 997 Gt3 is a hard drive. I drove the 996 version a couple of weeks bac and was amazed how soft and easy it was to drive. In fact it felt exactly how I imagined a normal C2 to drive like!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 997 GT3 is not a hard at all-its the best all round car Porsche make and a car that you could very easily drive-and track-every day of the week.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I amazed. I dint think main dealers were allowed to sell these cars over list if they are new. I thought the rule was only an ex demo could be sold over list as then it is a used car.

Looking in the Sunday Times today I can see there are a few cars avalible all around £100k. The best audi ever IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is easy to spec a R8 to £98k-so is that car at Birmingham Audi new or used/demo? If it is used the dealer can sell it for whatever they want and Audi UK will turn a blind eye unless the premium is daft.

Always nice to see cars in demand but that means that the premium market (which to my mind is selling something into the trade) in R8's will probably be gone by November/December.

Interestingly, one dealer was telling me that their first customer car was not due until October/November.