Is anyone's remapped GTI blow black smoke?

chloe080105

I have noticed that under hard acceleration, my GTI blows a puff of black smoke from the exhaust. After the initial puff each time everything seems fine. Performance hasn't been affected. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed it on theirs? I have seen Audi's with the same TFSI engine do the same so not sure it's a trait of the engine. Interested to read other people's views.

I have done 29,000km's. I would have thought that the remap would have made the air/fuel ratio produce a near perfect burn. Meaning no black smoke (from excess fuel). Fuel economy on cruise is better than standard. I notice the puff of black smoke when I look at the rear view mirror to see how far I am pulling away from the person I am racing... smile.gif

The engine on the mk5 gti is turbocharged and therefore the fuel to air mixure is quite rich, hence all your exhaust pipes have black sooty deposites inside them. Under normal driving the soot builds up inside your exhaust but when you accelerate hard the sooty deposites get blown out of the exhaust, this will happen on all TFSi cars, not just remapped ones as they are all tuned to run on a rich fuel air mixture.