Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee551247

R32 TO M3 E46

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

Has anyone on here had an R32 and changed it for an M3? If so any regrets? Had a test drive of a MK V R32 and just felt that it wasnt quite quick enough. Is an M3 much quicker? Need some help in choosing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Different league if you ask me, R32 (both Mk iv and v) are hot hatches where the M3 is proper sportscar fast.

Try one and you'll see 169144-ok.gif

There are quiet a few who've done the change, it seems as though R32 to M3 is a natural progression 169144-ok.gif

Hi,

I have previously owned a Mk4 R32 and a TT 3.2 dsg, both of which I enjoyed at the time. I now have an E46 M3 conv and although I sometimes miss the R in reality the M3 is a truly awesome car and much more powerful, although I guess it doesn’t have the cult status of the R.

Well that’s my opinion ROLLEY~14.GIF

Good luck whatever you choose.

dave_uk

From memory the 0-100 mph times are something like 15/15.5s and 11.5/12s so the difference is large (in the dry).

You have ti try and se. I never thought there was a huge amount in the outright performance up to 100, but it is certainly more liniar all the way through the rev rangce. However I may be wrong as I now find the CSL to be much much faster than the old R.

They are 2 quite diffrent driving styles. The R you can chuck at anything and then drift or understeer round whereas the CSL you have do be more precise with bother steering and throttle inputs to get the most out of it. Ultimatly it is much much more rewarding and obtains a level of balance the R32 simply cant compete with - at all!

I loved the R32 and said at the time id stick with 4wd so i fugured the natural progression was to the RS4 however I just felt it was simply 'more' - be it 'alot more' of the same. The CSL dosent attempt to move the R32s game on its totaly diffrent and thats what I wanted. Its both much more fun on the orad -0 and id imagine on the track.

You would be missing out not to test both. I have been i n love with both. beerchug.gif

chopped in my MkV R32 for an E46 M3 Coupe 3 months ago.

I spent 18 months thoroughly enjoying the MkV - covering 25k miles and threw everything at it in that time. Was also lucky enough to be involved in trialling all sorts of modifications - Haldex PP, suspension, brakes, exhaust etc so got a feel for what worked well as standard and what could be improved with upgrades.

I too loved the R32 - a cracking car and was very sad to see it go ........

.... for about 5 minutes jump.gif

The M3 is a different animal. It demands to be driven carefully in the wet, making you pick your way through the conditions rather than just expecting it to deal with all types of slippery surfaces. If you then apply this method to the dry, it's even more rewarding IMO. Learning the to get the best out of the Haldex upgrade on the R32 has certainly helped me with the M3 as this is my first RWD car.

Performance is great, definitely quicker than the R32 and more long-legged in each gear. The noise when the induction system opens right up at around 4k rpm and then the hard-edged sound from the engine from > 6k rpm is still giving me goose-bumps 7k miles later. Averaging above 25mpg in 7k miles too !

Servicing, tyres and insurance is dearer - no question. But parts prices are reasonable. Convenience settings are a bit of a pain because you have to go to the dealer and pay their ridiculous labour rates for things that I could set via the computer on the .:R

Overall the M3 wins hands down for me - nothing wrong with the R32 but for me it doesn't match the M3 for driver involvement, performance, comfort and overall grin factor. Surprisingly practical too 169144-ok.gif

...and the shocking news is that the Golf weighs a tad more than the M3. In fact I've never worked out why the R32 is so fat. Sure its got a V6 and a Haldex 4WD system but its tiny.

MkV R32 (manual) - 1520kg, add 25kg for DSG

E46 M3 Coupe - 1570kg

or so I thought confused.gif

I found some different figures but VW are not clear as to whether the 75kg driver is included or not. Your data suggests that the driver was in the figures I found which would make the R32 lighter as you say. Its still porky though compared with the 1410kg of a TT 3.2 (I know that Al is the answer).

I've just gone from a MKIV R32 to an E46 M3. The Golf certainly felt lighter than the M3 and seems to have more torque low down in the rev range.

That said the M3 is a fair bit faster on the straights!

interesting reading for me as I have been considering the same, the problem for me is I own a MK4 R32 spent 5K on mods and if I sold privately I would be looking at 12-13K! a decent M3 would be about 20-21K.

So the difference would be 8-9K in £ notes which if I kept the R32 (Better the deveil you know ...) I could fit a FT400 turbo which would totaly distroy the M3.

However, the M3 still has more class.

Just my views

Shaun

Now thats a whole new thread altogether.

Think we all agree the M3 is quicker and is a great drivers car. However:-

The M3 has more class? The cars image is not the best.

A bit interesting on the residuals front. I sold my 2003 MKIV R32 with 23,000 miles for £12,750 and I bought a 2002 E46 M3 with 22,000 miles for £17,500 this week. The M3 is in A1 condition and I'm sure there will be other cheaper examples out there.

The BMW obviously has the better badge, class, performance and dry weather handling but I'd venture the Golf has slightly the better interior ( the plastics seem of a better quality and the blue gauges and brushed aluminium trim look terrific ). The Golf handles very well in the wet too and is more throttle responsive lower down in the rev range than even the M3 in 'sport' mode.

So far I cant say theres much in it on the fuel front.

I am delighted with the M3, its everything I expected it to be, but I'll always respect the Golf R32 and will leave one well alone on a wet B road.

Cant really remember what the M3 felt like but the CSL has the most mega throttle response I have ever experienced. There must be a different map? Fuel wise the CSL is much better than the R too. Guess its less weight?

I have gone the other way, from E46 M3 to MKV R32 (via MKV GTI), and have no regrets, strangly i dont miss the BM!.. This is totally my own opinion, as i prefer smaller hot hatches, each to their own i suppose!

I have gone the other way, from E46 M3 to MKV R32 (via MKV GTI), and have no regrets, strangly i dont miss the BM!.. This is totally my own opinion, as i prefer smaller hot hatches, each to their own i suppose!

i have had both e36 evo and e46 m3 smg and now a iv r32 and when the roads are not dry which is 75% of the time the r32 is the better car but when the roads are dry my mv agusta f4 1000r is loads better than the m3's:roflmao: