Autocar - Not a good review!

Woppum

This is a tough one as I think there is no bad car in the five that Autocar rated. Indeed the choice is also very personal. They rate the Cayman S above both the M3 and RS4 but I've had a 987S and would never buy a Cayman as the 987S was too hard to drive in the wet for me and much harder than front engined RWD cars I have had (for me).

A lot of their choice of RS4 over M3 seems to be driven by the abilities of 4WD in the wet, so why choose the Cayman S over the RS4? Also this factor did little for them in looking at the B5 RS4 over the E46 M3 so things have changed for some reason.

They also criticise the fuel range (which is crap) but the RS4 is no better (indeed a tad worse) and they don't like the height of the seat. I havn't sat in an E92 M3 yet but those who have don't seem to have an issue with this.

In summary I would be happy with either car but remember that the interior of an RS4 is very old (I know, I've got an S4 and it feels dated) and the shape will be replaced in six months whereas the E92 will have a half dozen years in it.

As I say, no bad choice but choose yourself, don't let some mag do it for you - if I did what Autocar say then I would buy a Cayman S which would be the worst choice for me of the five cars reviewed.

I have to say I am suprised they chose the RS4 over the M3. The RS4 dare I say it, felt a bit ordinary on my test drive today. It just felt like a big, fast, comfortable Audi. I suppose thats what it is, but I suppose I just expected a bit more excitment too. My guess is the new M3 will be a more exciting drive than the RS4. Im looking forward to finding out.

It depends what you want from a car.

Some will only want an Audi others just the BMW regardless of the review. I think they though that the new M3 would be breathtaking and because its not they aren't rating it as highly.

It can also be down to a personal view, we don't all want the same things from our cars and where we compromise is different for each one of us.

Woppum: What suspension did the rs4 have std or sports suspension +. Im guessing if it felt soft it was the std and these are supposed to be a bit soft and a bit jittery under braking although ive not driven one without sports suspension.

Merlot: I had a 987s on 19s with pasm (ps2s) and 99% of the time it felt amazing in the wet but on a couple of occassions the rear lost traction in the wet and it was very quick and sudden and im sure it was not my reactions that saved the spin.

[ QUOTE ]

Woppum: What suspension did the rs4 have std or sports suspension +. Im guessing if it felt soft it was the std and these are supposed to be a bit soft and a bit jittery under braking although ive not driven one without sports suspension.

Merlot: I had a 987s on 19s with pasm (ps2s) and 99% of the time it felt amazing in the wet but on a couple of occassions the rear lost traction in the wet and it was very quick and sudden and im sure it was not my reactions that saved the spin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. My Porsche days are behind me since I find the seat backs to be too narrow.

Audis' are pretty ordinary really but with quattro they are amazingly fast in the wet. Depends on what you want. I tend to drive my 645 if it is dry and S4 if it is wet.