Who Needs A Stinking Diesel?!

Jack_is_Back

As I was very early for a meeting the other morning I stuck the cruise control on at 70mph (on the GPS, 77mph indicated on the speedo) and ambled down the M1. I flicked through the puta and was surprised to see:

yoiube.jpg

By the time I pulled off a few miles later it was:

yoiub4.jpg

40.1mpg over the 67 miles. Amazing what difference a few mph makes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IIRC my best has been 34 mpg over about 40 miles when I was obliged to stay in the company of a very green friend who refuses to drive over 40 on B-roads and 60 mph on dual carriageways! It was the least enjoyable drive I have ever done and really screwed me up to the point that I wanted to go out just for a blast afterwards.

Slightly off-topic (Apologies Jack) but I was coming to the M6 toll road barriers the other week in my Audi A4 - 170 bhp diesel and I was toying with a Golf GTI MkV before we came to the pay stations. I have always felt that the Audi was quicker than the missus golf GTI mainly due to the extra torque however ...... as the barrier went up I looked to the right and the GTI drivers barrier was also lifting. We looked across, grinned, then both nailed it. I love the M6 toll stations exit as its one of the very few places you get to accelerate to 70+ legally from standing start - wacky races! Anyways, I was surprised that I was level, give or take gear changes, with the GTI and in fact started pulling past slowly at 3 digit speed. My point being that the newer DPF diesels are mighty quick and don't smoke whatsoever! .........

[ QUOTE ]

Slightly off-topic (Apologies Jack) but I was coming to the M6 toll road barriers the other week in my Audi A4 - 170 bhp diesel and I was toying with a Golf GTI MkV before we came to the pay stations. I have always felt that the Audi was quicker than the missus golf GTI mainly due to the extra torque however ...... as the barrier went up I looked to the right and the GTI drivers barrier was also lifting. We looked across, grinned, then both nailed it. I love the M6 toll stations exit as its one of the very few places you get to accelerate to 70+ legally from standing start - wacky races! Anyways, I was surprised that I was level, give or take gear changes, with the GTI and in fact started pulling past slowly at 3 digit speed. My point being that the newer DPF diesels are mighty quick and don't smoke whatsoever! .........

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that rather suprising as its quite a bit slower to 60 and a good 5 seconds slower to 100. Those 5 seconds translate to a big gap. Maybe your a4 is special 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that rather suprising as its quite a bit slower to 60 and a good 5 seconds slower to 100. Those 5 seconds translate to a big gap. Maybe your a4 is special 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree so am suspecting that I got my gear changes one step ahead meaning that as he was still flooring in 1st I was already in 2nd with bags more torque. Top end the Audi is good for 145 so nothing in it there. The 170's are significantly quicker in real driving terms than the 140 2.0 TDI's. A friend of mind has the 140bhp version and he is nowhere to be seen when we have a good blip over a lengthy dual-carriageway, the book speeds between the two cars are very minimal though. No question that the Golf is much nicer to drive, the 170 has a fair bit of turbo lag.

[ QUOTE ]

If that's the best it can manage then you guys DO need a stinking diesel. tongue.gifgrin.gif

If I ever manage to have the self control to cruise at 70 odd down the M1 I'm seeing average mpg in the 60's! coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread title was a little tongue-in-cheek and I'm sure everybody knows that. grin.gif

My point was that a petrol car can be fairly economical and quick these days. I like a quick car but need economy for business use - cars like the GTI are still an option. 169144-ok.gif

I just returned from a lovely weekend in London where i clocked up 313 miles. Averaged 39.8 mpg on the way there and 38.6 on the way back but i was tracking for 40mpg plus until i got stuck in traffic on the m6.

Point to note here is i was driving normally. Crusing at my "normal motorway speeds" with cruise on. Accelerating hard when i had the opportunity.

What I was really pleased with is look how much fuel is left after 313 miles grin.gif

Sorry pic is out of focus but...

DSC00227.jpg

I'm in the same boat as Jack (actually it's a GTI not a boat) in that I use mine for work, I can't afford to have 2 cars and want one which is fun to drive evenings and weekends as well as not losing out on my poxy 15p mile I get from work. It's good to know how economical you can be if you try. Luckily the GTI can be pretty good mpg wise if you're sensible(ish) but you can also have great fun in it as well.

Trust me I do both! 169144-ok.gif

Besides the M27 isn't conducive to fast driving in rush hour, by going steady it takes me about 1 minute longer to get home rather than accelerate-brake and I feel like i'm not killing the planet wink.gif

The GTI really is awesome in this respect. I used to run a Focus RS - that struggled to EVER crack 20mpg. The Mk5 GTI is just as quick as that car* and does consistently 33+mpg on the same sort of driving.

* and SO much nicer in ride, interior, handling, torque steer. was very happy to see the back of the RS (chris harris is wrong).