TMC in VW Golf Sat Nav - anyone have it working?

oxfordlad

[ QUOTE ]

Scilly Isles, <Have Alpine paid TrafficMaster for the licence to receive the TMC information?> <font color="blue"> Yes - I have an Alpine system in one of my other cars and a Kenwood system in another. On both of them TMC works perfectly because both Alpine and Kenwood have paid ITMC (Trafficmaster) the licence fee to include the UK TMC codes on their DVDs. Blaupunkt/VW have not and therefore the disc does not contain the UK TMC codes which is why TMC does not work in the UK. </font>

And the codes are on the DVD, right? <font color="blue"> Yes but only if you have paid the licence fee. </font>

But they are no codes on the Blaupunkt DVD for UK, right? <font color="blue"> Correct </font>

And of course, even if they were, Blaupunkt/VW have not paid TeleAtlas for the licence, right ...? <font color="blue"> The DVD disc produced by TeleAltas for Blaupunkt/VW does not contain UK TMC codes because they have not paid Trafficmaster to use them.</font>

Sorry to go on.

But I'd like to fully understand it. crazy.gif

Ludwig

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - hopefully for the last time:

TMC is alive and well in the UK. Whether it works on anyone's brand/make of sat nav is dependent on only 2 things.

1)The mapping having the TMC codes included within the software. If it doesn't This can be a licence problem, or a software issue.

2)Having a TMC Radio tuner either included or separately available that can decode and pass the TMC alerts to the said navigation system.

Blaupunkt/Teleatlas DO have a license for TMC in the UK, they simply haven't put the coding for the UK on the DVD platform software. There is no logical reason for this, but it's a fact. Obviously we know the system works because without doing anything it works abroad on the same DVD!

Alpine/Pioneer/Tom Tom/VDO/ etc on other systems, including portables with the correct hardware have the UK TMC codes included on the software, and hence it works.

The Alpine allows you to silence the TMC voice but just display a YES/No splash screen for the detour.

I had it on in Europe for a short (very short!) time and it bellowed out in a foreign language as I recall - It really made me jump! It's just too disruptive for my taste but each to their own.

169144-ok.gif

Froggy, thanks very much.

Very clear to me, now.

At the risk of testing your patience .....

<they simply haven't put the coding for the UK on the DVD platform software.>

Do you mean the software in the Blaupunkt unit or, the TeleAtlas/Blaupunkt DVD?

In any case, could I run this past you and ScillyIsles in particular please.

After what you have both said, do you think an Audi DVD would work in my 2006 GTI?

You may recall that I've got a VW RNS-MFD2 (Blaupunkt TravelPilot RNS2) in my car.

I'm guessing the Audis built in 2006 have the same.

Thanks, Ludwig

[ QUOTE ]

Froggy, thanks very much.

Very clear to me, now.

<they simply haven't put the coding for the UK on the DVD platform software.>

In any case, could I run this past you and ScillyIsles in particular please.

After what you have both said, do you think an Audi DVD would work in my 2006 GTI? <font color="blue"> No </font>

You may recall that I've got a VW RNS-MFD2 (Blaupunkt TravelPilot RNS2) in my car.

I'm guessing the Audis built in 2006 have the same. <font color="blue"> No Audis use Sat Nav systems built by another company so the map discs are not compatible </font>

Thanks, Ludwig

[/ QUOTE ]

With regard to putting TMC codes on the TeleAtlas DVD map discs for the VW system, I have spoken to TeleAtlas technical support here in the UK and they confirmed it could be done but that someone would have to pay them to produce these discs. They indicated that VW should pay - speaking to VW they seem to have no idea of the benefits of TMC. From what I can see of the map disc structure it may be possible to "home fry" a map disc with the TMC codes from another disc if you have the right software and technical skills.

I use TMC quite extensively as two of my other cars have TMC enabled. It can give you false warnings but it can on occasions (particularly on motorways) save you from being stuck in tailbacks from which you have no escape. I generally have TMC switched on and the map resolution set to the max scale at which it will display TMC icons so that I can see traffic problems ahead. For most of my driving this is fine because I don't need to use Sat Nav for route guidance (commuting) For longer journeys even though I know where I am going I often put route guidance on so that the Sat Nav will prewarm me about road delays ahead that are off the visible screen so that I can make a detour. An example of this would be say driving down from the Midlands to London where you could use the M40 if the M1 was bad.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] No the TMC coding is held on the DVD.

[ QUOTE ]

After what you have both said, do you think an Audi DVD would work in my 2006 GTI?

[/ QUOTE ] As Scillyisles has said, no definitely won't work, the 2 systems are completely different, both the hardware and software come from different manufacturers.

scillyisles, <No Audis use Sat Nav systems built by another company ...>

Thanks. I just assumed that they would use the same kit as VW.

<I have spoken to TeleAtlas technical support here in the UK...> That's good of you and for sharing the outcome with us here. Very interesting and useful to know. I was going to contact VW but guessed that they would not know what I was talking about! I was right it seems.

< ...."home fry" a map disc with the TMC codes from another disc if you have the right software and technical skills.>

Interesting but sadly way beyond my capabilities or of anyone I know!

<I use TMC quite extensively .... >

Yes, I'm very envious. I'm sure I would use it a lot too.

At least the satnav on my is fine. I'm very impressed with it.

It looks like the end of the road - it has taken me about 18 months to get here i.e. find out why I can't get TMC on my system.

Many thanks again to you and Froggy and others for your interest and help. 169144-ok.gif

Ludwig

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly should be - looking at the pdf it has the correct info on it - ITIS etc.

I can't test it as I removed the TMC tuner from my car when I switched over to the DVD based system, I suppose I could refit it, bit that won't happen this weekend. And I'll need to get a disk, although that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and Ludwig - ask me in the same post as scillyiles - I won't be offended, and the threads won't get over long. wink.gif

froggy, <It certainly should be ...>

Brilliant! That is good news. 169144-ok.gif

<I suppose I could refit it, bit that won't happen this weekend.>

Well perhaps we should wait to see what scillyisles, s2000db and any others have to say before you go to this time and trouble.

But it is very good of you to offer to do this.

<And I'll need to get a disk, although that shouldn't be a problem.>

That's intriguing. It <u>is</u> a problem, because it costs £179! grin.gif

<I can't test it as I removed the TMC tuner from my car when I switched over to the DVD based system, ...>

I don't understand you I'm afraid?

My factory fitted IS a DVD based system.

What did you have before the DVD based system?

<Oh and Ludwig - ask me in the same post as scillyiles - I won't be offended, ...>

I certainly will. Sorry about that. But you're right, my intention was not to offend you in any way.

Ludwig (fingers crossed)

I have an aftermarket Blaupunkt EX-V system (DVD based), that replaced a aftermarket Blaupunkt DX-V(CD-Rom Based) system.

The EX-V is essentially very similar navi hardware to the VW MFD DVD system, and as far as the software is concerned, it uses the same disks.

I can probably blag a new disk from a suitable source sekret.gif

froggy, <I have an aftermarket Blaupunkt EX-V system (DVD based), that replaced a aftermarket Blaupunkt DX-V(CD-Rom Based) system.>

Aha! Alles klaar. cd-rom based. Got it.

<The EX-V is essentially very similar navi hardware to the VW MFD DVD system, and as far as the software is concerned, it uses the same disks.>

Very interesting and useful to me.

Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear.

I'll be ordering a DVD soon from TeleAtlas.

Thanks once again for your interest and support.

Ludwig

• 1 year later...
scillyisles, me again I'm afraid ....

Have you seen http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1266404

Is this the solution we've been waiting for?

I certainly hope so.

What do you think?

Ludwig

Ludwig,

Been having the same problems as you with my VW Sat Nav in my R32. It seems that you have found the answer to your problems. However when I click the link above it directs me to a front page of the forum and I have no idea how to access the thread you are referring to.

Could you help by explaining what you have discovered to fix the TMC problem and also let me know how successful you were?

Any help will be much appreciated...

Scotty