Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
putz

Anyone got auto-dimming door mirrors?

27 posts in this topic

looking to fit auto-dimming door mirrors to my B7 A4, my dealer (hopeless as usual!) says he cannot order the mirrors as there are too many choices on etka and he cant narrow it down by using my vin/reg number as my car never had them fitted from the factory.

Can anyone who has a RHD B7 A4 with these auto-dimming mirrors look up the 2 part numbers please? or alternatively PM your vin number/reg number and I will search etka,

many thanks ...

You will also need a new mirror on the windscreen as well as the sensor and button to control the lightlevels in the door mirrors are controlled by the driver's rear view mirror (which is also linked up to the sensor). Replacing that mirror is not an easy job as you will need to stick the new mirror assembly to the windscreen.

Personally I would have got this as a factory fit rather than try to do a DIY job to replace it. I don't know of anyone on here who has done this retrofit but you may want to try and do a search through the threads 169144-ok.gif

I have these on a B6, if you need a reg send me a PM 169144-ok.gif

As Mark says could be a awkward retrofit ROLLEY~14.GIF

You'll also need deep pockets!

IIRC the glass is extremely expensive, in excess of £150 each.

I looked at doing this on mine as I've got the auto dimming RVM as a factory fit and I noticed I already had the wiring within my mirror housing.

I didn't bother when I found out the price.

[ QUOTE ]

I have these on a B6, if you need a reg send me a PM 169144-ok.gif

As Mark says could be a awkward retrofit ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the offer, are B6 mirrors the same as B7's?

I should've put in my original post that my car already has the auto-dimming RVM. It's just the door mirrors I am going to fit. I appreciate they are expensive, I should've spec'ed them when I bought the car.

My dealer insists that they cant be retro-fitted but I am determined to prove them wrong, they told me you cant retro-fit the rns-e and bluetooth either but I managed to do that!

whenI bought the car dimming rvm was on the spec but while driving at night I noticed that the wing mirrors dipped.

Whould you like to try 1 of my mirrors before you retrofit.

where are you located ?

I am in Hampshire, if you could be so kind as to PM me reg number then i will search etka for the correct numbers. many thanks for your help so far

putz,

How have you got the REG number or VIN function to work on ETKA? Mine does not let you do that.

Terry

There is a hacked version of ETKA kicking around, which does not allow vin download. You should be able to buy a copy on ebay which will allow vin download.

[ QUOTE ]

putz,

How have you got the REG number or VIN function to work on ETKA? Mine does not let you do that.

Terry

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I must just have a hacked copy or something, not really sure to be honest! bought it from ebay ages ago. it just connects to the internet to update itself. it recognised my new A4's details about three weeks after I registered the car so it's pretty upto date. Reg No. recognition is a little hit and miss but it's always accurate with VIN numbers.

Could be the one I downloaded from Bittorent that I'm using as oppose to my ebay one then, got loads of crap on my computer. Whatever the case it works for me.

Just a thought, you could pop one of the mirrors off to see

if the wiring is already there 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't there on my B6 S4 ...

Audi policy is to only fit the wires for the actual options fitted - one exception, the XM/Sirius satellite radio pre-fit on US cars.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't there on my B6 S4 ...

Audi policy is to only fit the wires for the actual options fitted - one exception, the XM/Sirius satellite radio pre-fit on US cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did not have heated mirrors on my dad's B6, after a year when one got broke found the wires were there - so replaced with heated - don't remember if the dimming ones were also in place, but some looms are in place without the options they support 169144-ok.gif

Agreed re: some looms present and not used.

I broke a mirror glass (when cleaning it >:( ) and the one that I got handed over the counter was one with the heter element in it. Back to the car, and the wires were present and it works. One heated mirror smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but some looms are in place without the options they support 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only other exception to the rule ...

Any other retrofit will mean adding wires.

Went to the delaers this afternoon and bought a pair of mirror glasses, they dont call them stealers for nothing do they!?

Anyway, I ripped off the old one's and hey presto the wiring for the auto-dimming is already there, Whoo-Hooo! both new mirrors installed in 10 minutes flat, just gotta wait till its dark to confirm they will auto-dim but as all wiring was present I'm pretty confident its a winner. 169144-ok.gif

If you can't wait for it to get dark why not shine a torch at the sensor ROLLEY~14.GIF

yeah I tried that, there was a small voltage at the plug on the rear of the mirror when I shone my flashlight into the sensor but I couldnt tell wether or not the mirror glass had dimmed or not, I shall try it out when i go to work later.

They better had work they cost me a fortune smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

yeah I tried that, there was a small voltage at the plug on the rear of the mirror when I shone my flashlight into the sensor but I couldnt tell wether or not the mirror glass had dimmed or not, I shall try it out when i go to work later.

They better had work they cost me a fortune smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you remember to cover up the front sensor too - so as to fool it into thinking its dark out, on mine daylight is enough to dim the mirrror 169144-ok.gif

I managed to retro fit the internal rear dimming / compass / temperature mirror with no problems that I got from a well respected German Ebay dealer. My vehicle had no internal wiring for the mirror (apparently most cabriolets don't if the mirror was not factory fitted). I also have the heated dimming folding aluminium genuine mirrors and they are now wired up too and fully working. This is not really a DIY job unless you know what you are doing on your Audi. The heated and dimming wires were present inside my mirror housings but the dimming cables didn't go up to the internal mirror. So I just purely extended them and wired them into the mirror.

All works fine smile.gif

Next job - retro fitting BOSE !

Andy