Triptronic or manual

Blue

I'm looking into buying a 993 4S or a 993 2S

what do you reckon?

should i go for manual?

or triptronic?

since i'm bying second hand i tought trip would be better

cause of the fact i think you can't brake your clutch or gearboxie on a trip and therfore i will have less troubles with the car

am i thinking right?

to an extent although tip is more complex and expensive if it goes wrong

have driven a manual 993 and it was lovely, have ridden in a tip and thought it was awful

quite clunky and it looks rubbish - would a buy an auto 911? would you fit a roof rack to a Ferrari? :P

I have never driven TT so can't really comment what its like, but sure its an amazing system (what you would expect from Porker) I believe its changes gear in 0.2sec, which is quite awesome. But changing gear and using the clutch is part of the driving experience for me, so its never really appealed. Its one of those things I would love to play with, but wouldn't go for it myself.

Good point about it being expensive if it goes wrong, but Porker are well know for their reliability so unless you get one with excessive mileage then I don’t think you need to worry about that too much unless you are just very unlucky! That’s one of the things that appeals to me about porkers, they really are very solid and well engineered cars. I still regularly see people using 1960-70 911’s for everyday commuting! At the end of the day Porkers are production (sports) cars, very few other production cars are still in circulation being used like that, which says a lot about the standard build quality even back then!

And like people have already mentioned, Porker gear boxes are so nice to use anyway. I have only driven a boxster and ‘s’ and it was smooth as you like, a real pleasure to use! And have heard and read that the 911 is great too.

Think it would be weird to get used too as well. When I have driven auto’s I still pushing down a non-exsistant clutch all the time, and reaching down for a gear knob! smile.gif Obviously you’ll get used to it, but then it will be a nightmare if you go back to manual after as well!

• 2 weeks later...

You should not really worry about the clutch and gearbox. Some clutches have gone over 100+ miles without changing and 993 gearboxes are pretty much bullet proof ( I know of 1 with 200K miles on!!!)

Performance wise the tip is much slower than the 6 speed, if performance is on your mind then the 6 speed hands down. The tip on the 993 is still an auto box really and has nothing to do with the SMG or Ferrari type of boxes. It is almost the same as a VW/Audi tiptronic.

I have driven a tip and as a result I bought a 6 speed.

Also think of resale value, the tips are not as desirable on a 993 as the 6 speed box.

[ QUOTE ]

Also think of resale value, the tips are not as desirable on a 993 as the 6 speed box.

[/ QUOTE ]

.... unless you live in London. Bunch of posers and women driving Porkers here. My choice? Automatic 'boxes belong in Aston Martins, AMG Merc's, Bentleys - not Porsches!