I'm ashamed to say....

Vagabond

[ QUOTE ]

I can't swim and i'm 39!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be too ashamed, many a person can't! I'm not any kind of particularly capable swimmer, I can do enough of a front crawl to be able to handle an emergency, but apart form that I'm not partiularly comfortable with swimming.

Just never really got into it, which feeds the lack of confidence, which means you don't do it, and so the cycle continues.

Good for you for deciding to tackle it head-on! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Believe that you can float coz you can. Once you've convinved yourself and believe it then swimming is simply a case of generating the propultion to move you forward.

Good luck. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....fastlad - Do as Scotty suggests ^^^^

I don't see the need to spend 990 squid!!! EEK2.GIF. I'd expect to be trained for competing in the Olympics for that kind of money!

There's nothing to be ashamed about, I din't learn to swim until I was 24. I love swimming now and I found that I had a natural ability.

A friend who was a competant swimmer taught me the basics in under an hour and then after that it was just a question of practicing and building technique. IMHO the key is to relax and feel comfortable breathing out under water- so that when you turn your head to breath in you're just drawing breath in not trying to first expel the air in your lungs; there's just not enough time to do both.

Find a friend who can teach you or just go down the local pool and ask about lessons they're not that expensive. 169144-ok.gif

Don't worry, I'm 38, and can just about front crawl for 10 metres. Got the 25m cert at school, but I just don't like swimming. The cold swimming pool water does not help. If the water was warmer, then I'd do it more - but to me, the water is cold.

I cannot float neither. Heavy bones and no fat. Bad combination!

However, if you have kids, go to the pool with them and build your confidence up with them and do as they do. Just don't tell them you are 'learning'!

Id find a quiet pool, like in a health suite etc... and when its quiet just go and relax in the shallow end. Its nice to just sit around in a pool and it will biuld your confidence in the water and progress from there.

I can swim fine. But in only a pool. im uncomfortable in a loch and scared of the sea. I wont even take my jetski in the sea it totally gets to me some how??

[ QUOTE ]

So i decided to check out a private instructor who does a 3 day residential course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not live/work near a public swimming pool? Surely you could just pop along to a club and have a few lessons there for just a few £?

Although, if it's mostly kids you might feel a little embarrassed, but £1000 worth of embarrassed?

I learnt in my late 20s...... years ago now !

Daughter learnt to doggy paddle and then they put my name down for beginner lessons. had to wait about seven months.... had an hour lesson twice a week for ten weeks and by then I could swim better than wife ( and daughter) , dive, swim to the bottom ( 5 metres I think) and we were also taught , at the end, to swim clothed.......

p.s.

daughter is much better swimmer now ( been on diving holidays with her hubby etc)

Please learn to swim -- you never know when it will save you, or somebody else.

[ QUOTE ]

I learnt in my late 20s...... years ago now !

Daughter learnt to doggy paddle and then they put my name down for beginner lessons. had to wait about seven months.... had an hour lesson twice a week for ten weeks and by then I could swim better than wife ( and daughter) , dive, swim to the bottom ( 5 metres I think) and we were also taught , at the end, to swim clothed.......

p.s.

daughter is much better swimmer now ( been on diving holidays with her hubby etc)

Please learn to swim -- you never know when it will save you, or somebody else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word or caution about the saving someone else bit.

Everytime you read something about someone who drowned, its always the person that went in to save the person drowning that drowned and not the other way around.

[ QUOTE ]

Word or caution about the saving someone else bit.

Everytime you read something about someone who drowned, its always the person that went in to save the person drowning that drowned and not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or man dies trying to save dog from drowning. Dog is fine, and swims out of the water anyway. The owner always dies.

Happens a lot unfortunately.