Honda SP1

SneakyMcC

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked the principle of them, a HRC built bike with the sole purpose to win World Superbikes and the Suzuka 8hr.

Which of course it did do. Much like the RC30 and RC45 which had the same objectives. The only thing which puts me off them is the V-Twin engine, I've only had one go on V-Twin in a Suzuki SV650 (admittidely a totally different bike) but didn't like it too much at all. The power delivery was very 'agricultural' and the engine braking was punishing to the extent that I had the back wheel locking under heavy braking and downshifts.

The SP's may be totally different though and when I make the step up to a 1000cc bike I'll most certainly be trying out an SP1/2. 169144-ok.gif

The Edwards / Rossi suzuka SP1.

2005-11-24_182513_014.jpg

In my experience the VTR SP1 and the RSV Mille are quite good under engine braking not too fierce for a V twin.

The VTR firestorm and the SV650 on the other hand are very harsh so much so I have lost count of how many Datatool gearbox indicators I have been asked to fit to Firestorms so you do not clog it down into first by mistake and are nearly spat off.

It takes a while to fully adapt to the v twin but its fun once you do.

V-Twins are the nads! The drive is more manageable in the wet, so that should off-set the eng/braking issue. The eng/braking issue is just a matter of adjusting technique dont forget.

My m8 has a GSXR7.5. I dunno if its tuned, but compared wi'the SP1 I rode, the GSXR is unrideable(?)!

The day he bought it I took it down a local fave road the is very tricky. The bike and chassis are gr8, the engine characteristics are not!. grin.gif

I have a riding style of riding slow bike for many years. Supermoto is my game. Getting good drive off a 40-70mph apex in first gear at 10,000prm to get max drive is an interesting experience , especially in less than ideal conditions!

Nah, SM's are deff the way'hey to go! cool.gif

169144-ok.gif

hello guys i owned a tuned sp1 for a year, on the country roads round the snake pass etc and at speeds over the legal limit the bike was truley awesome, handling was amazing if this is the riding you favour buy one. but beware they take some getting use to.if you have to ride in a major city or town in traffic get ready for a cart load of aches and pains they are bloody uncomfortable, lumpy at the bottom end, the clutch is as sensitive as a nuns snatch which makes traffic riding a mare.and keep near petrol stations as a tank can last as little as 60-70 miles if you are hard riding

personally i much prefer the gsxr 750 which i now have for all round riding.the sp1 is a race bike for the road and as such needs much respect imho.