So is everyone going for GoodYear F1 Assymetrics?

Mook

Read the tyre test in EVO mag last night. Goodyear F1 Assymetric, Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, Yokahamas, Pirelli P-Zero Neros, Bridgestones and a couple more - sorry, can't remember all the variations and numbers!

I cheated and went straight to the verdict and was really surprised by the verdict on the P-Zero Neros, as I ran these on the R32 for the last 20K miles and they were better all round than the PS2s, but EVO thought otherwise.

They did all of the tests using a Mk5 GTI (well they'd have to do it in the fastest car available tongue.gif).

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric came out on top as the best all round tyre.

Would you switch to these next time you need to change your tyres, purely based on their recommendations?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have switched from Goodyear F1's to Falken 452's, better all round and a bit cheaper.

Problem with that test it was all scientific, ie braking distance in wet, braking distance in the dry etc. etc.

One of the tests was how much G you could get before the tryes let go, and here lies the problem with these tests, the PS2 is in a completely different league to the others in that test for pure out and out driving pleasure, because they let go earlier than most tyres. Not what you want from a tyre most people will say, and you are right, but with the PS2 tyre you can feel it going and you have total control, compare that with the goodyear, that tyre holds on a lot longer, but when it goes it goes very quickly and you have very little chance of controlling it.

It seems a shame that they didn't put these on a car and just spend an hour seeing how it handles in everyday driving, being able to control a car perfectly appeals to me far more than it being able to stop in 79.2 metres with the best tyre compared with 79.7 metres for the worst.

Tyre tests are next to useless imho, the fact that most tyres that handle well on a smooth track handle like a pig on a rough road and vice versa. It is real world reviews that I prefer to listen too.

Nope, 1 set of Eagle F1's were enough for me to never want any Goodyear Tyre on my car again.

If unexplainable weird tyre wear, and increasing noises like failing bearing are " within manufacturing tollerances " and considered normal They can keep them, and anything produce.

(I sent the entire set of 4 back for analysis after removing them earlier than legally needed, because of the problems)

Something was not right with those tyres, whatever the report found. (Their own report i might add)

As soon as i got rid of them all the noises dissapeared. I have not had the weird wear patterns since either.

I will stick to Mitchelin. Currently PS2's. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If unexplainable weird tyre wear, and increasing noises like failing bearing are " within manufacturing tollerances " and considered normal They can keep them, and anything produce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. I've been an F1 convert for a while, and have put them on every car I've owned for the last few years (6 sets and counting). However, the most recent set on my Saab 9-5 have had problems similar to those you describe - excessive noise, wayward handling and shocking wear. One of the fronts was almost down to the canvas inside 9000 miles. I had two new ones fitted yesterday and the car seems much better on the handling side, although there's still that "failing bearing" noise and I wait to see how long they last...

I cant decide about F1s these days.

I had GSD2/GSD3s on the Audi and absolutely loved them. On the Back of my last BMW they were great, but on the front of the BMW they were horrendous, understeering like a mofo, and making lots of noise.

I had to swap the dodgy F1s to the back of my BMW (putting the rear Khumo's on the front) and they were fabulous again.

[ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that. I've been an F1 convert for a while, and have put them on every car I've owned for the last few years (6 sets and counting). However, the most recent set on my Saab 9-5 have had problems similar to those you describe - excessive noise, wayward handling and shocking wear. One of the fronts was almost down to the canvas inside 9000 miles. I had two new ones fitted yesterday and the car seems much better on the handling side, although there's still that "failing bearing" noise and I wait to see how long they last...

[/ QUOTE ]

....Were they the genuine ones? - There's stories of some fakes on the market frown.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

....Were they the genuine ones? - There's stories of some fakes on the market frown.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did wonder that, but in the event there are so many possible factors at play here that it's impossible to know. It was a new car (to me), front-wheel drive with way too much power (so likely to eat fronts more quickly), and it took me a while to find that the tyre fitter had only inflated them to 30psi instead of the 36psi they should have been running (which can't have helped). So I chalk this one up to experience and hope the next pair are better.

It looks like I'm going to need some new front tyres soon. Can anyone recommend a good non-performance orientated tyre?

Most of the time my wife and child are in the car, so I don't a performance tyre as such. However, I do need something dependable, long lasting and quiet. Any suggestions?

Currently have Dunlop Sport Maxx and want to try something different.

What are the tyres like you get on Alloys from ebay? I could get a new set of 18"ers for not too much extra cost. slap.gif

RS4

RS6

[ QUOTE ]

Problem with that test it was all scientific, ie braking distance in wet, braking distance in the dry etc. etc.

...........It seems a shame that they didn't put these on a car and just spend an hour seeing how it handles in everyday driving, being able to control a car perfectly appeals to me far more .......

Tyre tests are next to useless imho, the fact that most tyres that handle well on a smooth track handle like a pig on a rough road and vice versa. It is real world reviews that I prefer to listen too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did actually do a 25 minute road test on a mix of surfaces (the last test) 169144-ok.gif

The scores for this were :-

Subjective Road Route Test (25mins on mix of surfaces)

The tyres were driven blind

1. Vredestein 100%

2. Dunlop 92.5%

3. Michelin 90.5%

4. Pirelli 89.4%

5. Goodyear 88.9%

6. Bridgestone 88.1%

7. Kumho 87.0%

8. Continental 86.5%

9. Yokohama